Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are considering relocating to Spain. We are both retired and living on pensions. We are living in Cyprus now and we like it very much but it is a long flight to UK when we wish to visit family and of course it is not possible to drive from here to UK. We would like some details regarding local taxes equivalent to council tax water rates etc. Also details of the health service and any other info available. We are looking to rent in the Alicante Murcia areas. Any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
We are considering relocating to Spain. We are both retired and living on pensions. We are living in Cyprus now and we like it very much but it is a long flight to UK when we wish to visit family and of course it is not possible to drive from here to UK. We would like some details regarding local taxes equivalent to council tax water rates etc. Also details of the health service and any other info available. We are looking to rent in the Alicante Murcia areas. Any help will be appreciated
Those local taxes are set by the Ayuntamiento (Town Hall) and whoever supplies the water, so you would need to get the figures for where you are planning on. There are others on the forum who live in those areas who might be able to inform you, I can't, because I live in a village in Andalucía.

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
As already said, local taxes and water rates are set by the town halls (ayuntamientos) and can vary wildly from place to place. Mine come to about €550 a year for a 3-bed detached house, but I think that's on the low side because our water is only about €8 a month. However, if you are renting, these costs may be included in the rent.

If you have a UK state pension you are entitled to free health care anywhere in Spain. Apply for an S1 form from the DWP in Newcastle. If you haven't reached that stage, you will have to have private insurance until one of you gets a state pension, then the other one gets it as a dependant. Alternatively after you've been resident for a year, you can buy into the Spanish state healthcare service for about €60 a month.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts