Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everyday while walkingmy dog i see thousand upon thousand of very small snails, either climbing walls, dead vegetation or fences.
Question - are these edible?
ie fred, stews

·
Registered
73 Posts
If they are the small ones with pale colouring then probably. Perhaps just ask a local. It is funny that you should post this right now as only on Saturday did we have a long conversation with our neighbours who informed us that you can bring them home live and feed them bread. When they then 'ahem' , 'produce' bread you then know the are clean! How good is that! Also the ones in this area are found a lot on the wild anis and accordingly are already flavoured. Bon provecho!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Looks like times are getting really hard here in Spain! :)
No, it's a traditional dish snail stew. They add onions, pimiento, chorizo and white wine. You can buy it in tapas bars, it is simply wonderful. My Spanish neighbour collects them after rain. Snails have to try and get off the wet ground or they drown. You see the walls covered in them.
I love snails cooked in garlic

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
If they are the small ones with pale colouring then probably. Perhaps just ask a local. It is funny that you should post this right now as only on Saturday did we have a long conversation with our neighbours who informed us that you can bring them home live and feed them bread. When they then 'ahem' , 'produce' bread you then know the are clean! How good is that! Also the ones in this area are found a lot on the wild anis and accordingly are already flavoured. Bon provecho!
My in-laws feed them flour for several days to fatten them up. They keep them in a plastic washing up bowl (that needs to be washed out regularly) while they get bigger and bigger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts