Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a US citizen, currently working for the first time in the UK after studying. Planning on filing my first tax return this year from overseas as this is the first year I have had an income.

My question is, I recieved a US student loan in 2012 into my UK bank account (my university required I set up a UK account to transfer the funds) . I don't believe this was ever over the equivalent of $10,000, but the last instalment was pretty near. At this time I had no idea of any of these requirements, as many others in the forum, and havent looked into these tax issues until now.

Is there a way I can declare it now, even though it's over a year later? My UK account now doesnt even come near the $10k mark and won't in the future, and it was only for a short period it was even at all close, but I still would rather play it safe.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
If the aggregate of all accounts was never over $10k, then why would you need to declare it?

And if it was over for just a short period of time while a while the loan funds were in it, who cares. Ignore this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.