Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here ever attend these regular last-friday-of-the-month indie nights? I went with a friend last Friday and had a blast!

They played top tunes from Joy Division, Blondie, Madness, English Beat, Smiths, Cure, Undertones, Ramones, Pixies, Blur, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party, Dandy Warhols and so much more! :clap2:

Venue: Casa Latina in Ibis Hotel (Al Barsha)
https://www.facebook.com/#!/seeyounextfriday

On March 16 (Friday), there will be a special 90's Night, yayyy!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Went once, didn't really enjoy it.

Might be better in a different venue.

Was it just the overcrowded venue or also the playlist itself that you didn't like?
Of course, I totally agree that the venue is too small!

Anyhow, I gotta say last Friday was the best I've been to in terms of playlist. There were several indie tunes thrown in which I wasn't even familiar with (for a change, heh! :D)... but sometime after midnight there was a minor glitch in the sound sytem (for a couple of songs or so). No big deal to me though. The choice of songs is what matters most!

One time (I think in December), I totally got annoyed with the crappy ****e being played, so I walked out before 2am! Lots of the typical mainstream poop remixes/house/club music I just couldn't stomach! (but that's just me, soooo...)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
A friend runs it, I'll pass on the good wishes.

Available venues is a colossal problem in Dubai which is why there is little innovation and few gigs pushing garage bands.
I do agree about the venue problem-- but I hope they could find something similar to Irish Village (open space and all).

Also, you might want to remind the DJs that Blur actually has so many other awesome songs out there other than "Girls and Boys" (I'm not saying I don't like that song, but it's just too much hearing it played almost every time!)
:p :D

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Was it just the overcrowded venue or also the playlist itself that you didn't like?
Of course, I totally agree that the venue is too small!
The playlist was fine, but once the place got busy, getting served at the bar was difficult and the toilet only had 2 urinals!

To be fair, when I went, I think it was the first night in that location so maybe they've ironed out little niggles like that, plus we were some of the first people there and sober at that point, everyone else was hammered having been at brunch all day.

May need to give it another chance, but I tend to prefer going to bars with live music, even if it's a cheesy covers band.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.