Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a job offer in saskatoon and I am waiting on Lmo.if I fly over and first and start working,what way does the Lmo visa work ? My family will then be following me over to saskatoon.what way is the immigration Lmo procedure?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am in the same boat at the moment Sean with 2 job offers in saskatoon and i have accepted 1 , From what i can gather on my behalf. Once i get my LMO both my wife and I fly over with all relevant paperwork and get our work permit at the airport, and my wife gets hers based on my job contract etc.
You then have to get your "work card" i think the name of it is .... may be wrong, but basically it is the same as our PRSI Number .

How is your house or appartment hunting going???

Andy

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
You cannot work until the LMO is issued. You could make your way to Canada and be here to pickup the LMO from your employer then take a trip around the flagpole to activate it. There is a possibility it won't be issued, at which point you may have to leave te country. Be aware that not all LMOs are granted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi andy,I was hopping to fly over and start working first with my new job offer lmo,then my family would join me after a couple of weeks,this I think would be better.with regards renting I haven't found any websites

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Auld Yin said:
You cannot work until the LMO is issued. You could make your way to Canada and be here to pickup the LMO from your employer then take a trip around the flagpole to activate it. There is a possibility it won't be issued, at which point you may have to leave te country. Be aware that not all LMOs are granted.
Hi auld,I will be staying in Ireland until Lmo is granted,just wondering does myself and my family have to all fly over to Saskatoon with a Lmo or can my family join me after a couple of weeks? Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi auld,I will be staying in Ireland until Lmo is granted,just wondering does myself and my family have to all fly over to Saskatoon with a Lmo or can my family join me after a couple of weeks? Thanks
Hi Sean, Thats a good plan that you go ahead of the family. We moved here last july and have always regretted not sending hubby first cos it was very difficult arriving with three young kids and having to start from scratch all over again. We stayed in a hotel for a week and then moved into a house. if you come over first it will give you a chance to get settled so that by the time they arrive you will have done all the ground work. good luck with your move. its a good one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi there, interesting forum been reading a lot however, i would like to clarify one thing. LMO is in progress for work permit. Employer advised was family members can only be given a visit pass with max 6 months stay based on immigration consultant advise. And if family members need to exit Canada, is there a min # of days/wks prior to returning? Is this a newly updated policy that just implemented?
What i have been reading from this forum is that family members (wife n kids) will have same length of stay as the principal work permit holder.
Need ur expertly advise & appreciate ur time.
tremor

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How's does the Lmo work.my family will be flying over after a couple of weeks,does there passports get stamped for Lmo visa or a work permit stamp?
I would like to know how's this procedure work? Or would all of us head over to Canada together?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes, I came over on an LMO and my husband got a work visa and my kids got a student visa. however, I am not sure of the particulars of each situation. Best thing is to go to the CIC website and try and find the answer or ring up the phone numbers provided to clarify. Also, clarify if you can come over first and the family follows. Be prepared though that when you arrive in Canada, the line in the work permit line is VERY LONG. if you have a connecting flight, make sure you have several hours (at least 4) between when you arrive in Canada and when you take your connecting flight.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, I came over on an LMO and my husband got a work visa and my kids got a student visa. however, I am not sure of the particulars of each situation. Best thing is to go to the CIC website and try and find the answer or ring up the phone numbers provided to clarify. Also, clarify if you can come over first and the family follows. Be prepared though that when you arrive in Canada, the line in the work permit line is VERY LONG. if you have a connecting flight, make sure you have several hours (at least 4) between when you arrive in Canada and when you take your connecting flight.
your family can follow you.all they will need is a copy of yout TWP and their own application.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi sean we have got the lmo and all the paper work that is needed for canada think it took only couple of weeks. we get the work permit at the airport think it cost $150 each one for me and hubby. we are all going together me hubby and kids. we have accommation sorted already , so that takes some of the pressure off. rent.ca craiglist for two good sites

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi, i hope you dont mind me asking you, its just im in the same boat and am wondering.......did you get issued the permits in the first airport you landed in, would that be your port of entry or would it be where you intend on staying. Its just we are going to sask but we will be getting connecting flights, dont ask me from where yet cos i dont know lol. just say for talks sake we fly from dublin to toronto, then toronto to sask. Which airport will we get the permits in? Just so as i know to leave enough time when booking connecting flights. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi sean we have got the lmo and all the paper work that is needed for canada think it took only couple of weeks. we get the work permit at the airport think it cost $150 each one for me and hubby. we are all going together me hubby and kids. we have accommation sorted already , so that takes some of the pressure off. rent.ca craiglist for two good sites
hi

We are also from galway and are awaiting an LMO for my OH we will be moving with 2 children to Saskatoon i just wondered what airline you flew over with and what part of canada you located to?? im looking on the internet for accommodation but im not sure what are the best area's. Any advice is much appreciated

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Chaz,
I am also going to Saskatoon in the next 6-8weeks. As for accomodation i have been told East side of the city is better. I am also looking at accomodation but i dont think we will do anything until we get there. From what i hear accomodation is getting expensive and scarce.
In relation to airlines i to have to check who has the largest baggage allowance.

Good to see that there will be plenty of my country folk over in Saskatoon but it also says alot for the state of Ireland at the moment.

Andy

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.