Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was born in Mexico, from a French/Mexican father and a Mexican/American mother and live in Mexico.

My father has both his mexican and (expired) french passport which he is planning on renewing.
I hold a Mexican passport and am registered in my fathers Livret Famille ever since I was born. My name is also written in my dads expired french passport from when I was a child and travelled with him to France.

When I was around 18, I remember the consulate getting in touch with me regarding my military service, and I complied, however I do not recall ever receiving anything in exchange.

Nowadays I am looking to get my french passport for the first time. From what I understand I must start off by accquiring my french birth certificate. Is the Livret Famille "proof" of french nationality, and enough for me to apply for my french birth certificate?

Added to this, my french is pretty bad, I can hold my own but am far from fluent. Can I go through the whole process in spanish or does the consulate require me to speak fluent french? I know its rather odd "being" french and not actually speaking it, but thats my case.

thanks everyone for your help!

·
Administrator
51,607 Posts
Is the Livret Famille "proof" of french nationality, and enough for me to apply for my french birth certificate?
No, the livret de famille doesn't actually prove anything other than that your parents' marriage was recognized by the French authorities. This is the relevant page from the French Service Public site Nationalité française : enfant dont au moins un des parents est français - Service-public.fr but it's all in French. You might ask your father to take a look at it.

Lately, they are insisting on having proof of the French nationality of your parent in order to issue you with a French carte d'identité (which is actually what you need in order to get a French passport).

Your father needs to check with the French consulate in Mexico to get his records up to date. He'll need to get a carte d'identité, and then he can get his passport re-issued. Not sure how they're doing it in Mexico, but in the US they are insisting that you must be registered with the French consulate while living abroad in order to renew any of your French documents. There is a way to fix this - but don't be surprised if your father has to submit documents proving his French nationality before he can get his carte d'identité and then help you get yours.

You should contact the French consulate in Mexico and ask them what you need to do and what documents you'll need to provide. You won't need to speak French to claim your nationality, but you will need all the documents you can produce regarding both your father and you.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your VERY quick reply Bev. Both my father and I have an appointment at the consulate about 4 weeks from now to keep unraveling this process.

Theres something I forgot to mention, my father was born in mexico to french parents, does this make a difference?

They too are requiring expats to register with the mexican consulate to take care of any paperwork. Thats where things get a bit more complicated for me. Because of the following(taken from consulfrance-mexico.org):

Inscription au registre des Français
Pièces à fournir :
Pour justifier de votre identité :
— Un document d’identité français comportant une photographie (carte nationale d’identité ou passeport ou permis de conduire).
Pour justifier de votre nationalité : d’une preuve de nationalité française :
— carte nationale d’identité,
— copie intégrale de votre acte de naissance français
— certificat de nationalité française
— décret de réintégration ou de naturalisation dans la nationalité française
— déclaration acquisitive de nationalité française

So in order to register, Im guessing the easiest french identity document I can get my hands on is the acte de naissance:

2/ Pour les personnes non inscrites au Consulat et ne disposant pas d’une Carte nationale d’identité :
— Vous êtes d’ascendance française et né(e) au Mexique,
— vous souhaitez transcrire votre acte de naissance sur les registres d’état civil français,
— vous n’êtes pas inscrit(e) auprès du Consulat Général de France à Mexico et vous ne disposez pas d’une carte d’identité française.
Il convient avant tout de vérifier que vous possédez effectivement la nationalité française.

That last sentence is what throws me off, how can I verifier que j'ai effectivement la nationalite francaise?

Must I get my Certificat de nationalité française?

Its all very confusing, as apparently getting document A requires me having document B, which in turn has document A as a prerequisite.

Thanks for shedding some light on it all!

·
Administrator
51,607 Posts
All that last sentence says is that, first of all, you have to establish that you are actually French.

See what they tell you at the consulate, but I'm guessing that first of all, you're going to have to get your father up to date on his documents. He'll have to get registered with the consulate, prove his French nationality and then get his carte d'identité.

Once that is done, you can start going through the process to register yourself and prove your claim to French nationality.

These things take time, especially when dealing with the French administration. One step at a time.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hiya Bev,

Just though I'd share my experience in case anyone else finds themselves in this situation. So I arrived to an appointment I had at the consulate, pretty much to have someone explain to me what I should do, I only had my mexican birth cert. a couple of passport sized pictures, and my mexican ID.

So I have a very nice lady greet my for my interview, she logged on the system and found me registered since birth, gave me my carte consulaire and I figured thatd be as far as it would go, but to my surprise I ended up getting my passport as well. I'm going back about 4 weeks from now to pick it up! I was amazed both by the fact that I managed to do the whole thing in french, and by how simple it was to get my passport, without my acte de naissance or carte d'identité.

So when I go get my passport I will be setting up a meeting to go through the process of getting my acte de naissance, carte d'identité and registering my marriage so eventually my wife get can apply for nationality (weve been married nearly 6 years).

The whole thing took about an hour maybe, and I left with a big smile on my face. So, thats my .5.

thanks!

·
Administrator
51,607 Posts
Good for you! It's nice to hear a happy encounter with the administration every now and then.

But I do have a theory that, if you go to whatever office mentally prepared for the worst, everything will usually go smoothly. It's if you go expecting no problems at all that everything seems to go wrong. Whatever you did, glad it turned out so well for you.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
594 Posts
You could request for a process of Naturalisation via Certificat de Nationalite which is issued by French Courts. The consulate people are teh ones to ak

Best of luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.