Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I have a question...i am right now in the states, and i am about to get my french spouse visa at the french consulate in Boston on dec 12th and they say that i need the original copy of my livret de famille and certifiat de mariage. i wanted to know if i needed the originals of those or if it would be enough to just make copies. the reason i would rather just give them a copy is that my french husband (who is currently in france) has our livret de famille and certificat de mariage at his house in france, and doesn't want to send them to me because he is a) scared it will get lost in the mail and b) thinks he may need them for his green card appointment at the american embassy.
so my questions are:
1) can i give them copies of these 2 documents instead of originals?
2) will my husband need to present these 2 documents to the american embassy in Paris when he gets his green card?
3) how easy is it to obtain a second copy of these documents (assuming we each need our own or one of us loses it)?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
1) can i give them copies of these 2 documents instead of originals?
My guess is no - but if you resort to copies, your husband will have to take the copies to the mairie to have them certified as authentic.
2) will my husband need to present these 2 documents to the american embassy in Paris when he gets his green card?
He won't get a green card in Paris - he'll get a visa in his passport, which is good for entry to the US, after which he gets his green card. What sort of visa is he applying for?
3) how easy is it to obtain a second copy of these documents (assuming we each need our own or one of us loses it)?
Very, very difficult, at least on the livret de famille.

If I might ask, why are both of you applying for visas in "opposite" directions? Only one of you needs a visa, depending on where you are moving. If you're moving to France, you need a visa, but he doesn't. He can't apply for a green card in any event - you have to apply to sponsor him for a visa and then when he enters the US (within six months of the issuing of the visa), he'll get his green card (which is actually a residence permit, and if you aren't resident in the US, the card isn't valid). But to sponsor his visa, you need to have a residence in the US and financial resources to support both of you for a while.

If you're worried about the paperwork getting lost, why not express ship it? Then you bring the documents back when you go to France. The spouse visa for you should only take a week or two at most.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bev

basically our situation right now is really complicated. i am in the US, and my husband is in France. our lawyer told us that the I-130 application generally takes 6 months, but we applied about 6 months ago and still have not heard anything. we spoke to our lawyer and he told us it's taking longer than usual, maybe 8-9 months. so now we are rethinking our plans...we originally wanted to live here in the US, and we still do, but i thought it might be a good idea for me to get my french spouse visa in case his I-130 application takes even longer than expected so that worst case scenario i could come to France and work. that's why we're both applying for french and american visas.

another question: when i get my french spouse visa back, will they give me back the livret de famille and certificat de mariage? my husband thinks he might need both of these documents when he goes for his interview at the american embassy in paris, which is why he is hesitant to send them to me, but i'm sure i could get them back to him in time.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
another question: when i get my french spouse visa back, will they give me back the livret de famille and certificat de mariage? my husband thinks he might need both of these documents when he goes for his interview at the american embassy in paris, which is why he is hesitant to send them to me, but i'm sure i could get them back to him in time.
You only need them for the visit at the consulate. They usually just require the originals to compare to the copies, and then they give them right back to you and keep only the copies.

But what are you giving on your visa application as your intended departure date (to France)? Because normally they expect that you are leaving for France within a month or so of when your visa is issued. (And on arrival, you'll have the OFII formalities to go through before you can practically start looking for work.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Bev

i hadn't thought about what i would put for my arrival date...i remember when i applied for my french long term visitor visa i put the date for a few weeks later, so i'll probably do that. will they penalize me if i come into the country later than my expected arrival date? i can't imagine they would give you problems for that...

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
It's just that your visa will expire one year from the date they issue it for (i.e. your departure date). You have to get through your OFII stuff in time to put in for renewal if you're planning on renewing your titre de séjour. If you put it off too long, you may have trouble getting everything done in time to renew.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.