Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is related to my DL exchange but, mainly info on the Livret de Famille. The Prefecture mailed my dossier back to me asking for a Livret de Famille.
I understand that this is some kind of record of your life.
My question is, why don't I have one? How can I get one?, etc. Do foreigners need one? What goes in it?
Basically, just any information you can give. I have something like that from Italy saying I am an Italian citizen living in France but I never got anything like that from the Mairie in my town.
I'm confused.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Livret de Famille is the family book. Marriages, children's births etc would be officially recorded in it. This is created at the registration of marriage of French citizens.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Livret de Famille is the family book. Marriages, children's births etc would be officially recorded in it. This is created at the registration of marriage of French citizens.
Since I'm not a French citizen and not married, would I even have one? Why would the driver's license people ask me for one?
Thanks for responding so quickly!

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't imagine that's a requirement for a foreign DL exchange. I was just checking the requirements on the Morbihan prefect for my exchange. There is no requirement for Livret de Famile in Pièces à fournir.
Permis de conduire / Circulation / Démarches administratives / Accueil - Les services de l'État dans le Morbihan
But I guess each prefect is different from what I keep reading and they have no clue how the rest of the world works so they request things native to France.
I got my dossier back with a couple things checked off that they would like me to send in. There is a blank line where the person wrote "Voir correspondence ci-jointe + livret de famille"
The "correspondence-ci-jointe" is a document with a section hi-lighted asking for proof of residence for at leat 6 months, etc..etc..

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
If you're not married - and especially if you aren't married in France or married to a French national, you will not have a livret de famille. Yeah, sometimes they ask for nonsense stuff like this. (Though, in fact, if you were married to a French person it would definitely count toward proving your "establishment" in France, I guess.) So far that one, you just state for the record that you are not married and thus have no livret de famille. (Sometimes you have to take the simple approach.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Since I'm not a French citizen and not married, would I even have one? Why would the driver's license people ask me for one?
Thanks for responding so quickly!
No, you won't have one and they don't require it. The list of documents they sent you may include the word 'tout' - this is often misunderstood as meaning that you have to send in everything on the list below it, but actually means in this context 'any' and in reality the list can even be more examples or suggestions.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, if that's what makes you happy and sets your mind at ease :)
LOL! I meant that I would mention that I'm not married and I don't have a Livret de Famille. I'm preparing a bitzkrieg of every document that proves I'm alive, living in France and a licensed driver in the state of Florida and a former resident of Florida. It will be big. It will be sizeable.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
LOL! I meant that I would mention that I'm not married and I don't have a Livret de Famille. I understood that - it's not necessary however, but, as I said... I'm preparing a bitzkrieg of every document that proves I'm alive, living in France and a licensed driver in the state of Florida and a former resident of Florida. It will be big. It will be sizeable. LOL, although the last 2 things are indeed required.
See comments in colour :) Anyway, good luck.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
But, according to the sous-prefecture, they want a Livret de Famille. It's not on the original list of requirements, they seem to have added it on willy-nilly, to the list of additional documents they want.
It really depends on the context in which they list it. Watch out for phrases such as 'tout' document - as I said, it doesn't mean everything listed below. And, of course, someone at the sous-prefecture or prefecture could have made a mistake - they work mainly with fill-in staff at this time of year. (I can assure you that it is not required, but without the context of the wording I, of course, can't tell whether it's an error.) Or maybe it's an algorithm that's not function properly.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It really depends on the context in which they list it. Watch out for phrases such as 'tout' document - as I said, it doesn't mean everything listed below. And, of course, someone at the sous-prefecture or prefecture could have made a mistake - they work mainly with fill-in staff at this time of year. (I can assure you that it is not required, but without the context of the wording I, of course, can't tell whether it's an error.) Or maybe it's an algorithm that's not function properly.
Thanks so much! :)

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
But, according to the sous-prefecture, they want a Livret de Famille. It's not on the original list of requirements, they seem to have added it on willy-nilly, to the list of additional documents they want.
If it's a check list, be sure to take a look at the items immediately above and below the "livret de famille" item. Could be the person checking off the items to return just slipped a space in marking the document. (Wouldn't be the first time that has happened.)

The other possibility is that they are looking for some document that shows/proves your family status.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it's a check list, be sure to take a look at the items immediately above and below the "livret de famille" item. Could be the person checking off the items to return just slipped a space in marking the document. (Wouldn't be the first time that has happened.)

The other possibility is that they are looking for some document that shows/proves your family status.
Cheers,
Bev
Its not on the original list on the website.
The person who sent my dossier back wrote "liver de famille" in a blank space provided on the form for miscellaneous stuff I guess.
I'm just confused why my family status would be important. Maybe, just maybe its because I have a married name on the application.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
The "married name" on the application would definitely do it. You probably need to include a note explaining what your current status is. In France, you're not normally allowed to retain your "married name" after a divorce. If the former spouse is deceased, you may need to provide a death certificate to "prove" your ability to use his name.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The "married name" on the application would definitely do it. You probably need to include a note explaining what your current status is. In France, you're not normally allowed to retain your "married name" after a divorce. If the former spouse is deceased, you may need to provide a death certificate to "prove" your ability to use his name.
Cheers,
Bev
I don't use his name here in France but it's on my Florida DL so I thought I should explain it.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
I don't use his name here in France but it's on my Florida DL so I thought I should explain it.
You may need or want to provide a copy of the divorce decree, death certificate or marriage certificate (if you're still married). (If you're married to a French person, you should have a livret de famille and that's what they want to see.)

But I don't think you get a livret de famille at all unless one or both of you is French.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 20 of 23 Posts