Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am an American set to marry a french citizen. We have not decided on a date but we are thinking September, and it will be in the United States. We are open to a marriage in France, but unfortunately we re very unsure about all the things we have to do in terms of paperwork.

We want to move to France as my fiancé's work is there. Cam someone please help me by explaining the process?

Also the time frame of receiving the Livret de famille, and spouse visa? I know we have to wait for the Livret to arrive before i apply for the visa.

I would love any personal stories, and advice!

Is it better to marry in france or in the usa?

Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you so much in advance!

·
Administrator
50,881 Posts
An awful lot depends on your exact circumstances, but in general, if you get married in the US, you must be sure to contact the French consulate BEFORE you get married to make sure you satisfy any requirements they may have for posting of the banns. If you get married in France, you'll need to allow time before the marriage for you to assemble the necessary documents, have the necessary preliminary "interview" with the mayor and simply to schedule the marriage (depending on what town your fiancé is resident in - some mairies have more demand for their salle de mariages than others).

If you get married in the US, other than posting the banns through the consulate, you can do things rather quickly - up until the point where you apply for the livret de famille (which you must have before you can apply for a long-stay spouse visa). How long it takes to get the livret can vary all over the place. Basically, because the fact of the marriage literally has to be entered into your fiancé's birth record, it can depend on where he was born. Some mairies in France have lots of staff and are open full "business hours" while others are only open a couple days a week and may have one or two part-time staff in charge of all functions. Best guess is "a few weeks to a few months."

If you get married in France, you'll need a few weeks ahead of things to get your paperwork organized, accepted and processed. (You'll also have to see about scheduling the marriage at the mairie - some maries are more available than others.) Then, afterwards, you'll have to return to the US with your livret de famille in hand, plus copies of your French spouse's identity documents, etc. to submit your application for a spouse visa. The main sticking point there may be getting an appointment at the consulate - depends on the location and time of year, etc.

Getting the actual visa is normally only a few days to maybe a week after your appointment.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, they took about less than 48 hours to produce my livret de famillie and 3sets of Marraige Certificate after i have given them the local Marraige certificate( notarised) and with a copy of Authorised french translation. That happened in Bangladesh French embassy.
Hope your process goes fast as well.
Peace

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fyi, total process took us about 5 months. And now it is fifth day since i have applied for my long stay spouse visa.
Fingers crossed.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I was just thinking about who is now responsible for producing the livret de famille for a marriage that takes place overseas, especially as I see no way that it could have been produced by a mairie in France and returned to Bangladesh within 48 hours (congratulations on that Sourovdeb). It occurred to me that now the respective Consulates have been given responsibility for all changes to a French citizen's état civil*that take place overseas, it's quite likely that it is the French Consulate in that overseas country that will create de livret de famille.

·
Registered
12 Posts
THANK YOU AND YOU ARE CORRECT. At the end of our interview, the officer had given us a quick briefing of what is going to happen next. And then he mentioned that foreign ministry has given them the authority to organise Marriage related Docs.
Hope my visa process now won't take longer than 2 weeks.
Wish me luck.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
THANK YOU AND YOU ARE CORRECT. At the end of our interview, the officer had given us a quick briefing of what is going to happen next. And then he mentioned that foreign ministry has given them the authority to organise Marriage related Docs.
Hope my visa process now won't take longer than 2 weeks.
Wish me luck.
Good luck :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts