Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a one year carte sejour visiteur. I married and i have a Livret de famille for born into the marriage.

Now, i went to Brazil and a Brazilian is woman is 10 weeks pregnant with my twins. My Carte sejour visiteur will expire town months after my Brazilian Babies will be born.

So my question are:
1. Should i notify the Prefecture about My Brazilian kids on Carte sejour Application? I know the would want a Livret de famille for them too or Just their birth certificate will be sufficient?

2. There is no such thing as Livret de famille, so How would i be able to a Livret de famille for my Brazilian kids? Would be to just add them on to my current Livret de famille?

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
I'm a little confused here. Did you get married here in France to a French person? If so, you should be able to change your status to that of the spouse of a French person.

I take it the Brazilian woman carrying your twins is not your wife. (Though I'm not sure about that.)

The Livret de Famille you have - is this from France or from somewhere else?

Subject to a slightly better understanding of your situation, let me try to answer your questions:
1. Unless the Brazilian woman is your wife, you can't/won't be able to get a livret de famille for the kids. They will be recognized as your heirs if the Brazilian woman names you on their Brazilian birth certificates.

2. Unless the Brazilian kids are the children of your current wife, you cannot add them to your French Livret de famille.

Or do I misunderstand the situation?
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. My estranged wife is an American who live in NYC. She has never been to France.

2. The Brazilian is not my wife.

3. Since I won't be able to get a family book for my Brazilian kids, I am still legally obligated to declare them on the residence permit and tax forms. The mother will declare me on the children's birth certificate and I will be able to get their certificates as well.

My main question is that will their be sufficient to declare them on my residence permit application and also taxes? Or will they insist on me getting a family book for them?

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
You can't get a family book for them. At least not in France.

At this point, there is no way you can or should have a livret de famille for France at all. (Those are only given to those married in France or those couples where one of the spouses is a French national.)

I don't understand why you would need to declare your children at all for purposes of your carte de séjour. They won't be living with you. The issue of whether or not you can claim support you pay them on your French taxes is a totally separate issue from that of your residence permit here.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have to kind of wonder if this person is a troll. Nothing about this post makes sense. Why/how could OP have a livret de famille in the first place if said wife is American and has never been in France? He can't be French since he mentioned having a one year visitor visa. Unless OP is a bigamist and has a wife in the US and in France ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
sorry, I Have Family Book From Indian Embassy in Paris since I was born in India and I had all of my kids registered at the Indian consulate in NYC. But the original question remain...is my kids sufficient enough for tax and prefecture?

·
Registered
363 Posts
sorry, I Have Family Book From Indian Embassy in Paris since I was born in India and I have my kids all my kids registered at the Indian consulate in NYC. But the original question remain...is my kids sufficient enough for tax and prefecture?
Sorry OP but that really still does not make any sense. Again, you cannot have a livret de famille unless you have/had a French spouse or got married in France. You said your wife is American and never been to France. Therefore, what you are saying makes no sense.

Unless whatever wife you have on the livret de famille, somehow decides in the goodness of her heart to adopt your children (something I assume their Brazilian mother wouldn't be willing to do), they would not be in the livret. The livret de famille is concerned with your spouse and whatever children come from that specific coupling.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Basically, no. Whatever Indian family book you have carries no weight in France.

The fact that you are in France without your wife means that your visa (and thus your carte de séjour) was issued independently of your marital situation. You will have to check the French tax law, but unless you are paying legally required child support (i.e. a pension alimentaire in French) for your twins, their existence is also more or less irrelevant when it comes to renewing your carte de séjour.

To renew a visitor visa/carte de séjour, you need to show that the conditions that led to your being issued a visitor visa are still in effect.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 8 of 8 Posts