Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm moving next week to Dubai as my BF is being relocated there. We are not married so obviously I have some concerns about what to say when asked. I'm looking for a job in Fashion (my field) and I'm unsure when interviewing if I should say Im relocating and living with my boyfriend.

Do I lie and say we are married?
Do I say I just decided I wanted to live in Dubai, so here I am?

I'm not into wearing a fake wedding ring but I'm worried prospective employers may not hire me if they find out we will be illegally living together. I know Dubai is more relaxed with this law, but how relaxed?

HELP! Any advice that will ease my mind is greatly appreciated!!

thx!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I cannot in good faith advise you how to get by with your wrongdoing and not even how to handle a situation because of that.

There are some here in the forum who walk in your shoes and may be able to offer a different perspective.

Why don't you have your BF to write me ? would he be ok with it ? If you have 5 posts you can also pm me.

There are several threads in this forum about this topic. It is a contentious topic. I for example would not expose my partner to "uncertainty" and there are certain remedies that you could use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tenancy Agreement - Residency Visa

i agree.. BUT WHAT IF they inquire? i plan on telling the truth but don't want to get in trouble.

Also I just :confused:read that there was some Tenancy Agreement that needs to be presented when applying for the Residency Visa and that could potentially cause an issue if we have the same address. Is that just for Abu Dhabi or does it include Dubai as well?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Look...it may sound awkward. I have a friend who lives in NY and his GF works in fashion. Is you BF of Sri lankan origin by any chance? or did he spend some time in Florianopolis ?

You could say you are visiting the country and staying in a hotel for example, but I am not sure how that's gonna cut out next time though.

You can say that you want to work in Dubai that is fine too

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I cannot in good faith advise you how to get by with your wrongdoing and not even how to handle a situation because of that.

There are some here in the forum who walk in your shoes and may be able to offer a different perspective.

Why don't you have your BF to write me ? would he be ok with it ? If you have 5 posts you can also pm me.
What an odd, odd thing to post :confused:

Anyway, if you're in the fashion industry, unless you're incredibly unlucky and end up working with extremely conservative colleagues, no-one is going to care, likely most of the people you're working with will be doing the same.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
First of all, your boyfriend will not be able to sponsor you. So you'll have to do visa runs for as long as you're looking for work, but with an American passport it's no big deal. Just go to the Hatta border crossing, officially enter Oman with a 50 AED fee then turn around and reenter the UAE. Presto, another 30 days in the country.

Without a sponsorship you also won't be able to sign tenancy agreements or open local bank accounts.

Many people in the expat ghettos do live together, unmarried. The authorities don't conduct witch hunts for unmarried expats. But if something happens to attract the police's attention and it could be a rogue neighbour complaining to the police about you, you will have no legal recourse. However, this is extremely unlikely to happen. Be sensible, don't boast to the world that you're not married and don't do something silly like become very drunk and get into a shouting match with your boyfriend in public.

As for employers, most won't particularly care who you're living with unless it's a very conservative local company but it's unlikely you'll work for such a place. If a prospective employer asks why you're relocating to Dubai you can simply say that your friends told you there's great professional opportunities in a dynamic and growing fashion market and you always wanted the chance to live overseas. That'll be good enough. Note, if you do get arrested by the police the company will immediately wash their hands of you if only because there's nothing they can do about it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i agree.. BUT WHAT IF they inquire? i plan on telling the truth but don't want to get in trouble.

Also I just :confused:read that there was some Tenancy Agreement that needs to be presented when applying for the Residency Visa and that could potentially cause an issue if we have the same address. Is that just for Abu Dhabi or does it include Dubai as well?

It is illegal to live with a member of the opposite sex under UAE law, when they are not related to you. Interpret that how you wish.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Its either against the law or it isn't. There is no grey area. I personally would not offer advice to anyone regarding anything that would cause someone to fall foul of any laws as a result of advice garnered from a website forum. Its up to the individual to make their own decisions based on their circumstances. And make no mistake - if a situation evolved that required them to enforce a law, then believe you me, that law would be enforced.

Golden rule: accept it as is and don't test the system.

G

·
Agree, this is not the place to be advising people of how to break laws. We should respect the laws of the countries we go to or dont go!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Of course it's a massive grey area - the same can be said for drinking without a license.

Basically certain things are tolerated, but people need to be aware of the laws and just be careful.

They will never, enforce that law - for the same reason, they would never enforce unmarried couples staying in hotels - it would be commercial suicide for the place. Obviously 'certain' people i.e. muslims and some nationalities need to be more careful. I would never recommend it of a muslim couple.

It's not about advertising to break laws - it's the reality of the place. Giving 'false' info and saying everything is enforced is scaremongering, plain and simple. You can advise people of laws, but state the reality and let people do with that information as they wish.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Agree, this is not the place to be advising people of how to break laws. We should respect the laws of the countries we go to or dont go!
Oh really? And do people from this part of the world respect the laws of countries they go to? Do they heck! Please!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
No one?

Plenty of expats willingly move to Saudi for work.

It wouldn't stop married expats from coming here.

Or the singles not in committed relationships.

Or all the expats (the outright majority) from cultures that don't tolerate out of wedlock relationships.

Altogether if the law was seriously enforced it'd have an impact but only a minor impact.

As it is, it's been correctly pointed out that the burden is on the person who's willing to break the law. Yes, many do it but if you are caught there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. You will be arrested. You will be imprisoned. You will be deported. Your consulate will not be able to save you.

It does happen.

Technically yes, it is. BUT if they enforced that law - no one would come here!

The law is only enforced if complaints are made.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
TallyHo, yes it does and has happened, but look at the reasons why it has happened? These people have gotten themselves into stupid situations - been drunk, got on the bad side of someone who has reported them etc.

Making it sound like the authorities go on a witch hunt for unmarried couples, is just wrong - it just doesn't happen.

Actually I think it would impact alot more than you think - especially the tourism sector - which the UAE now relies heavily on for it's income.

As I said before and will keep saying - people can be advised of the situation and the actualities and then make an informed decision. But making blanket statements that this happens is incorrect nor does it do anyone any favours.

G

·
Oh really? And do people from this part of the world respect the laws of countries they go to? Do they heck! Please!
That is exactly why we should respect other cultures and laws when in their country. One can not get upset, demand the same and campaign for governments to 'force' people to do so as some groups are if we do not do the same.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
So it's OK for us expats to come out here and break the law ?

Guess Rebecca had it right then ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
That is exactly why we should respect other cultures and laws when in their country. One can not get upset, demand the same and campaign for governments to 'force' people to do so as some groups are if we do not do the same.
Oh I totally agree with you there.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
So it's OK for us expats to come out here and break the law ?

Guess Rebecca had it right then ... :rolleyes:
For goodness sake you lot - really?!

I never said that - I will say it AGAIN - people should be given ALL the info, to make an INFORMED decision! The REALITY of the situation.

Scaremongering is of no benefit to anyone. You cannot make an informed decision, if you only have half the info.

Oh please RB? That girl is a bloody nightmare.

FYI - I grew up in Saudi and halve lived in the ME for over a 3rd of my life so am more capapable of seeing situations here from a realistic point of few.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Told yua it is a contentious topic....

some of us do not agree that you come and live illegally whereas some say provided you do a,b and c you will do just fine.

I think it is against the forum rules to support even the intention of wrongdoing like say that you are going to live with your BF and looking for advise as to how to get by at work. Truth is, you are taking some risks regardless.

So I shake my head when someone says "nobody is going to care". Their life reality is not what your life reality may be in future. You revealed your intention already.

That was why I wanted to chat with your BF so that I could make some points, but hey there are several threads as said earlier that you two should read in this forum and make an informed decision. You two are adults. There is plenty of info here. you should not disregard FACTS, but emotion yes by all means comments disputing the other poster opinion are useless and don't add up to anything.

It is interesting to see that people would twist the rules to live with people they like, but they would not marry on paper to render it legal. I find this behaviour awkward, but again this is me. i hope your BF deserves the exposure you are accepting if you decide to follow your intentions you shared upfront

1 - 20 of 46 Posts