Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a resident in Spain having retired 3 years ago, and complete my tax returns here. I am not tax resident in the UK. I have been asked to do some work for a UK company as a sub-consultant. Work will be done at home in Spain or overseas. Do I just declare the pay in my Spanish tax returns or do I have to become self employed? Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I am a resident in Spain having retired 3 years ago, and complete my tax returns here. I am not tax resident in the UK. I have been asked to do some work for a UK company as a sub-consultant. Work will be done at home in Spain or overseas. Do I just declare the pay in my Spanish tax returns or do I have to become self employed? Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

I might get shot down for this but, yes because that what I was advised to do by both the Hacienda and the accountant we used.
As long as you have a zero code form the Uk you wont be due any tax there, nor NI as you are not a resident.

However it cannot be continuous work, I was told that my plan (which is still on hold) of doing a couple of weeks 3 or 4 times a year would be ok. Not been able to put that to the test yet though.

I would also have been returning to the Uk (or overseas) so Im not sure if that makes a difference.
Was told to keep all paperwork etc, but that I could not claim for any expenses from the work. (i.e. hotels etc) but that was being covered anyway.

Someone with actual knowledge might be along in a minute.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts