Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a resident in Spain having retired 3 years ago, and complete my tax returns here. I am not tax resident in the UK. I have been asked to do some work for a UK company as a sub-consultant. Work will be done at home in Spain or overseas. Do I just declare the pay in my Spanish tax returns or do I have to become self employed? Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have you regulated your tax status with UK HMRC? Have you got your UK zero tax code?
If answer is no to any of above, you are tax "resident" in UK.

From others posts here, I belive you need to become Autonimo in Spain.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am a resident in Spain having retired 3 years ago, and complete my tax returns here. I am not tax resident in the UK. I have been asked to do some work for a UK company as a sub-consultant. Work will be done at home in Spain or overseas. Do I just declare the pay in my Spanish tax returns or do I have to become self employed? Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

I might get shot down for this but, yes because that what I was advised to do by both the Hacienda and the accountant we used.
As long as you have a zero code form the Uk you wont be due any tax there, nor NI as you are not a resident.

However it cannot be continuous work, I was told that my plan (which is still on hold) of doing a couple of weeks 3 or 4 times a year would be ok. Not been able to put that to the test yet though.

I would also have been returning to the Uk (or overseas) so Im not sure if that makes a difference.
Was told to keep all paperwork etc, but that I could not claim for any expenses from the work. (i.e. hotels etc) but that was being covered anyway.

Someone with actual knowledge might be along in a minute.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts