Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lived in Phoenix, AZ for 31 years. Divorced with two grown children. A year ago I lost my job. Six months after that I allowed my drug addict son to drive my car and he totalled it! Living in Phoenix with no car is hell-on-earth! Feel distraught, lonely and depressed. Turned 60 a few months ago. Have an illness and no insurance. It's really brought home to me the dire straits I find myself in. I want to now move back to England, although my relatives seem to think it's a bad idea. The thing is in America if you don't have any retirement money saved, which I don't, it seems life here for older people is not good. I want to go back to England and be amongst my family, but I don't want to be unemployed either over there. The bright side of going back is it has more to offer on a day-today basis. It's much friendlier than here, people are sociable as opposed to Phoenix. The problem is I would have to go to a homeless shelter and then apply for a council house....so many things to thing about! Any suggestions, anyone?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have lived in Phoenix, AZ for 31 years. Divorced with two grown children. A year ago I lost my job. Six months after that I allowed my drug addict son to drive my car and he totalled it! Living in Phoenix with no car is hell-on-earth! Feel distraught, lonely and depressed. Turned 60 a few months ago. Have an illness and no insurance. It's really brought home to me the dire straits I find myself in. I want to now move back to England, although my relatives seem to think it's a bad idea. The thing is in America if you don't have any retirement money saved, which I don't, it seems life here for older people is not good. I want to go back to England and be amongst my family, but I don't want to be unemployed either over there. The bright side of going back is it has more to offer on a day-today basis. It's much friendlier than here, people are sociable as opposed to Phoenix. The problem is I would have to go to a homeless shelter and then apply for a council house....so many things to thing about! Any suggestions, anyone?
I worked in the States for years and I saw people go down the tubes because they were unemployed, didn't have health care and then got sick or injured. It's very much a view of "every man for himself" there, and if you don't have a job, you don't deserve health care, and those who are working shouldn't shoulder the burden that you are.

I find the UK and Canada to be more compassionate than the USA in this regard, particularly since your worth as a citizen or a human being in these countries doesn't depend on having a position, or enough cash to pay for health insurance.

Do you have any savings that you might bring back to England with you? Have your relatives lived in the States so they can identify with your experience? Can they put you up until you get your feet on the ground? At the very least, you will have access to the NHS to help you. Consider that your health is the most important thing you have, with that you can rebuild your life.

What would make you happy, and where do you think you would be able to attain that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no money saved up. After my divorce I found it quite hard to survive financially at the age I was at the time. I realize going back will be a big culture shock for me but I don't know what else to do. Can't see much of a future here, but then again I am so depressed I can't see anything really anywhere. The only thing about England would be the NHS system. I could at least get treated for depression and really get to the bottom of it this time!

I worked in the States for years and I saw people go down the tubes because they were unemployed, didn't have health care and then got sick or injured. It's very much a view of "every man for himself" there, and if you don't have a job, you don't deserve health care, and those who are working shouldn't shoulder the burden that you are.

I find the UK and Canada to be more compassionate than the USA in this regard, particularly since your worth as a citizen or a human being in these countries doesn't depend on having a position, or enough cash to pay for health insurance.

Do you have any savings that you might bring back to England with you? Have your relatives lived in the States so they can identify with your experience? Can they put you up until you get your feet on the ground? At the very least, you will have access to the NHS to help you. Consider that your health is the most important thing you have, with that you can rebuild your life.

What would make you happy, and where do you think you would be able to attain that?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have no money saved up. After my divorce I found it quite hard to survive financially at the age I was at the time. I realize going back will be a big culture shock for me but I don't know what else to do. Can't see much of a future here, but then again I am so depressed I can't see anything really anywhere. The only thing about England would be the NHS system. I could at least get treated for depression and really get to the bottom of it this time!
That might be a good place to start then. It also might be beneficial for you to spend some time back in England even if it's time away from what you've been going through in the States, a change of scene. Just don't let the depression get the best of you and don't do anything rash. Form a vision of what you want to do and keep things in perspective. Wait a bit, see if you can build plans to come back, even if it is for an extended break with your family so that you can see a GP and get a referral. You can make things better, and can turn things around again. :boxing:

·
Super Moderator
18,015 Posts
The bright side of going back is it has more to offer on a day-today basis. It's much friendlier than here, people are sociable as opposed to Phoenix
When was the last time you were in the UK? I'm not saying this isn't the case, but if you haven't been in the UK in a while, you might find that things are a little different than you remember.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When was the last time you were in the UK? I'm not saying this isn't the case, but if you haven't been in the UK in a while, you might find that things are a little different than you remember.
I am anticipating that life has changed quite a bit in England. I am truly mulling it all around in the mind as to whether it would be wise or not to go back. I am leaning towards going though, if only for the healthcare. I cannot see a life here in the states anymore for me. It's far too much of a struggle and I am tired of it all.

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
I am anticipating that life has changed quite a bit in England. I am truly mulling it all around in the mind as to whether it would be wise or not to go back. I am leaning towards going though, if only for the healthcare. I cannot see a life here in the states anymore for me. It's far too much of a struggle and I am tired of it all.
What type of work do you do here in the US? Can you not get any work at all here?

The job situation is pretty tight in the UK these days, so you may not be better of job wise if you go back.

If you have relatives/friends who will accommodate you until you get a job then that would be of huge benefit to you - otherwise I fear that you are not going to be better off (emotionally/socially) than in Phoenix.

True, the NHS will take some worries off your mind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What type of work do you do here in the US? Can you not get any work at all here?

The job situation is pretty tight in the UK these days, so you may not be better of job wise if you go back.

If you have relatives/friends who will accommodate you until you get a job then that would be of huge benefit to you - otherwise I fear that you are not going to be better off (emotionally/socially) than in Phoenix.

True, the NHS will take some worries off your mind.
I have a lot of family back in England. I worked as a nurses assistant in hospice for about 12 years. Like nurses, I became burnt out with the job. I have excellent office skills, but find the work rather boring actually. I feel that I would have more emotional and social support there in UK than here in US. I totalled my car six months ago and that has had a huge impact on my life. I'm just tired of it all. I am very lonely here...to go anywhere one needs a car...I haven't got one! At least in England it is smaller and much more condense than here.......

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
I have a lot of family back in England. I worked as a nurses assistant in hospice for about 12 years. Like nurses, I became burnt out with the job. I have excellent office skills, but find the work rather boring actually. I feel that I would have more emotional and social support there in UK than here in US. I totalled my car six months ago and that has had a huge impact on my life. I'm just tired of it all. I am very lonely here...to go anywhere one needs a car...I haven't got one! At least in England it is smaller and much more condense than here.......
You say that you have lived in the US for 30+ years. So, if you have worked during that time you will be receiving a US state pension at 65 plus Medicare. Correct?

Bear in mind that that any pension in the UK is likely to be very small since you have not contributed for many years. If you decide to move back then your US pension will be affected by exchange rates etc. Just trying to think how financially better off you will be in the UK. Emotionally and socially may be an improvement but at the end of the day you need money to live on.

You presumably still have somewhere to live here and are paying rent/mortgage.?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Would any of your family in the UK give you a place to stay until you find work and can get your own place?

You can apply for Medicaid/Medicare (I don't know which you would qualify for) and while it's not as good as private health insurance, it would be some kind of coverage while you are in the US so you could see a doctor.

I'm so sorry you are going through this, I dont envy you, and I don't know what I would do either, but I would lean towards being where my family is and where I could get healthy again. Maybe if you went back to England you could get a job you are qualified for, even if you dont enjoy it much, at least long enough to save some money up. It would give you some time to look for something you like better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi emmbritt123

I can relate a lot to what you are saying here.

You would get the health care you need and be back where you have family.

Sounds like you have some excellent job skills... look on the positive side of such a move.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.