Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

If I live in NZ on my Australian PR, do these day count towards the 4 years period required for Australian citizenship or this would grant me NZ citizenship instead?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi,

If I live in NZ on my Australian PR, do these day count towards the 4 years period required for Australian citizenship or this would grant me NZ citizenship instead?
First thing first, with an Australian PR visa am I allowed to work and live in NZ? Is there a official document backing this up?
I would also ask "Google" :)

Sent from my Lenovo X3a40 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
No, it will not count towards the Australian residency requirement. Once you arrive in NZ on Australian PR you would be granted a NZ residence permit if character and safety requirements are met. In NZ you would then live under the conditions of that residence permit and residency there would count towards NZ citizenship later on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
No, it will not count towards the Australian residency requirement. Once you arrive in NZ on Australian PR you would be granted a NZ residence permit if character and safety requirements are met. In NZ you would then live under the conditions of that residence permit and residency there would count towards NZ citizenship later on.
... which means, you can use AUS PR visa to stay in NZ?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
... which means, you can use AUS PR visa to stay in NZ?
Yes, you can live/work/study in NZ with an Australian permanent resident visa. As was stated previously, when you arrive in NZ with Australian PR, you will (subject to meeting character requirements) be granted a residence visa in NZ. This allows you to live/work/study in NZ indefinitely. However, when you leave NZ, even to go on holiday (to Australia or your home country or elsewhere), the visa is cancelled. It will be granted again when you return to NZ - assuming your Australian PR visa is still valid. This is why you need to be careful with living in NZ on Australian PR. If you do not obtain NZ citizenship or permanent residence before your Australian PR visa expires, you may not be able to return to NZ (or Australia for that matter). Any time spent in NZ does NOT count towards meeting residence requirements for an Australian RRV or citizenship.

NZ permanent residence visas do not expire upon departure from the country the way that residence visas issued to Australian citizens and permanent residents do, so you should try to obtain one as soon as possible. Information on NZ permanent residence here: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/already-have-a-visa/resident-to-permanent-resident

It takes five years of residence in NZ to obtain citizenship there. https://www.govt.nz/browse/nz-passports-and-citizenship/getting-nz-citizenship/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts