Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi moving to Dubai in August and think my accommodation will be in motor city. What is it like to live there? Are there plenty of shops/gyms/beach clubs?!? Thanks
I lived there for a year.

Pros:
- (now) there are plenty of shops/restaurants/coffee shops/banks etc.
- The biggest Spinneys in the GCC is there.
- There are also now two gyms there (BodyWorks and FitnessFirst.)
- apartments are spacious
- it's right next to the autodrome if you're into car racing
- it's very quiet (except on race days)

Cons:
- 'district cooling' charges were horrendous; on average AED1500+/month for a 3-bed unit. (Then you had large DEWA bills on top of that.)
- it's still largely a building site, with many stalled/abandoned projects
- it's out in the desert, therefore very dusty
- it's next to the autodrome (= noisy on race weekends)
- quite far from the main areas (25-30 mins drive to Media City; 35-40 mins to DIFC)
- zero nightlife
- difficult to get cabs

It's nowhere near the beach, so no beach clubs.

Hope this helps.

teuchter

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can become a member at the Polo club and use their pool and gym etc which are lovely - or i think you can pay to use the pool if you're not a member but go with someone who is. This is a 2 nimute walk from motor city.

There are however 6 different swimming pools within the motor city complex all of which are nice and you can always find one which is quiet enough even at the weekends.

hope that helps!

No. All the planned hotels in Motor City have been postponed/cancelled. Nearest hotels would be next to Mall of the Emirates in Al Barsha.

The apartment buildings in Motor City all have communal pools though.

teuchter

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cons:
- 'district cooling' charges were horrendous; on average AED1500+/month for a 3-bed unit. (Then you had large DEWA bills on top of that.)
- it's still largely a building site, with many stalled/abandoned projects
- it's out in the desert, therefore very dusty
- it's next to the autodrome (= noisy on race weekends)
- quite far from the main areas (25-30 mins drive to Media City; 35-40 mins to DIFC)
- zero nightlife
- difficult to get cabs

It's nowhere near the beach, so no beach clubs.

Hope this helps.

teuchter
i disagree with some of your comments here..
- district cooling charges are high but still comparable to DEWA cooling nowadays.. i used to live in sports city where chiller was part of dewa and i was getting huge bills (in the range of 1200-1300 a month excluding housing fee). this is for 2 bedroom apartment.. now in motor city im getting about 600 a month for emicool and almost the same for dewa including housing fee so at a net level im paying the same or slightly less amount of money. initially the bills will be high when you move in to a brand new apartment becuz the piping/cartridges/compressor need servicing.. do get ur emicool meter checked as well because i have seen many that have been faulty or old generation which needs replacement.
- motor city is far from a construction site.. infact its fully constructed with no unfinished buildings at all.. not a single one i have come across in my 2+ years stay.. i think u r probably confusing it with sports city OR the only under construction hotel building in front.
- yes its located in an area which is desert from outside but when you enter motor city, the developer has completely transformed the place.. its fully green from the inside so even in days of dust storm.. u hardly feel any dust inside!
- regarding the noise levels owing to close proximity to autodrome.. again its bare minimum and that too in buildings in front of the track i.e. fox hills.. the other buildings get zero noise since UP has done a great job at sound proofing
- regarding it being far from main areas.. i work in media/internet city and it takes me 15 mins in the morning peak hour to get there via hessa street.. signal free all the way! and i think from dubai standards.. 15 mins drive is nothing.. it used to take me much longer when i used to live in discovery gardens due to entry and exity disaster over there.
- night life i agree with u since there are no nite clubs around but that depends on person to person.. doesnt matter to me.
- ample cabs around nowadays but its always advisable to call in through fone.. they come in 5-10 mins max since they are waiting outside b/w arabian ranches and motor city.. right next to round about.. so for them its a 2 mins drive in if some body calls.. there r long waits though on weekend so u may have to book in advance.

so if i sum it all.. i think the pros definitely outweigh any cons (if any).

i feel the place is very secure and peaceful.. its amazing to walk outside in the morning or late in the evening since its well lit.. with 24/7 security. security guards not only are there on the main gates but also roam around inside community and even do rounds inside buildings. the entrance to buildings is through access card so i have never seen any strangers strolling around in lobbies.

definitely a highly recommended place.. i have lived in discovery, sports city, and have friends in greens.. and i rate this community to be the best of all especially if u r looking for an apt.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Very objective answer throughout, so curious as to why you rate it higher than the Greens.
there are multiple reasons actually..

1) buildings are relatively newer compared to greens.. motor city is 3-4 yrs old.. greens being 8-10 yrs old now.. considering the construction quality here.. i prefer newer apartments
2) apartment sizes are significantly bigger in motor city
3) motor city apartments come with 2 parking spots for a 2 bedroom apartment.. plus the best bit is the storage provided in basement which is a rarity anywhere in dubai
4) cheaper than greens in both purchase or rent price
5) motor city is a family community whereas in greens i have seen a lot of apartments are occupied by bachelors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just moved into Motor City about 3 weeks ago and from what I have seen so far I would completely agree with Saya123 about pretty much everything that he commented on.
I am a little concerned about the comments about Emicool though, first about the cost, but moreso about the fact that with it on full ALL DAY, the minimum temp that I seem to be able to get down to is 24 degrees. What it will be like in August I am not looking forward to find out.
Is that normal or do I need to get an urgent and very full service of the AC unit in my apartment?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am a little concerned about the comments about Emicool though, first about the cost, but moreso about the fact that with it on full ALL DAY, the minimum temp that I seem to be able to get down to is 24 degrees. What it will be like in August I am not looking forward to find out.
Is that normal or do I need to get an urgent and very full service of the AC unit in my apartment?
I would advise u to get ur AC serviced asap in order to find out if everything is fine and chilled water flow is coming at the right levels.. also get ur emicool metre checked via emicool staff and ask them to show u the flow reading and the temperature of chilled water.. in my case, the flow was very high which resulted in metre running very fast.. after a lot of blame game between emicool/multiplex.. we were able to identify the issue which was in cartridges whihc control the flow of chilled water.. as soon as i got them replaced with the right sized ones, the water flow normalized.

also continue monitoring ur reading for a few days even after the correction is done so u can be sure the reading is approporiate.. i had been bitten by it once when i initially lived there .. so this time when i moved back to motor city.. i was proactive and had it resolved before the first bill generated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow, that's really useful. Thanks Saya.

I called out Emicool and they came, took readings from the meter which was above the ceiling in the common area just outside my apartment, but they didn't share them with me, although to be fair I didn't ask or indeed think it important. They told me to get my 2 units serviced and said that they could not do it. Suggested Multiplex. When I called them, they wouldn't do it because they were in the last week or so of their contract.

Presumably I should get the new FM company to come and service the units and at the same time I can ask them to check all of the other things that you have mentioned.
An odd job man (you probably know who I mean ... who does a few jobs on the side for cash ... has cleaned the filters and he also told me that the water inlet pipe had a blockage which he cleared. It doesn't seem to have madea lot of difference though.

I'll get onto the new FM company, unless there is any other AC servicing company that you either could or would recommend.

Many thans for your help, much appreciated

Paul

·
Registered
76 Posts
Suggested Multiplex. When I called them, they wouldn't do it because they were in the last week or so of their contract.

Presumably I should get the new FM company to come and service the units and at the same time I can ask them to check all of the other things that you have mentioned.
Paul
Yes multiplex has rightfuly said that they are not going to perform any new jobs because as per the circular we received, their contract was to expire end of May.

ServeU is the new company who has taken over. ServeU previously was also engaged in motor city but were working i think as sub contractors to Multiplex.

I havent gotten any AC servicing done through ServeU so cannot comment on their expertise, however i have had them over for some other drainage related issues and they were able to fix it quickly without any charge.

I do have a maintenance contract otherwise with a 3rd party whom i use for usual stuff but i wouldnt recommend them since I havent had good experience with them. I think you can try Maintenance Central (800-central). I havent personally used them but i have heard good things about them. Its a relatively new company but specialize in motor city from what i hear.

pm me if you want any additional info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Matt,
That's really kind & sociable, thanks.
I was thinking of venturing over to the Polo Club sometime over this weekend. When would you suggest? Luchtime or evening from Thursday evening through to Saturday evening?
Paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey

Myself and Cosmo will hopefully be moving to motor city (or alwaqraa?? - but hopefully not!) we are moving over to teach! so a few more brits and irish will hopefully be joining you at the polo club come August!!

J x

Hi Matt,
That's really kind & sociable, thanks.
I was thinking of venturing over to the Polo Club sometime over this weekend. When would you suggest? Luchtime or evening from Thursday evening through to Saturday evening?
Paul

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.