Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aggravated once again here in acapulco the costa azul area, 3 days without running water

i have 55 gal plastic drum and 100 gal with my family that last two days, and big inconvenience using the stored water when needed

think its time to build a cistern system to store more water, even considering, it being setup to collect rainwater in emergencies

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,076 Posts
aggravated once again here in acapulco the costa azul area, 3 days without running water

i have 55 gal plastic drum and 100 gal with my family that last two days, and big inconvenience using the stored water when needed

think its time to build a cistern system to store more water, even considering, it being setup to collect rainwater in emergencies
That is a nuisance. A lot of the older houses in Mexico have both a tinaco (tank on roof), and an aljibe (cistern under a patio). I have an 1100 liter (290 gal) tinaco, a 5000 liter (1320 gal) aljibe and a pump to move the water to the roof. Since I am just one person, I could probably last a month without water from the city.

Maybe you need to put a couple of 600 liter tinacos on the roof. That would give you triple what you have now and would be easier and cheaper than building a cistern.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It seems a shame to be burying this sort of info in a thread that obviously is not related but ...

Water is one of the things that has caused us the most loss of sleep over the last year. We also have both a cistern and tineco (in our 15 year old house). I don't know what the capacities are but a 5'8" man can climb into both and extend his arms.

First we burnt out the 1hp pump that fills the tineco from the cistern (in an emergency). A friend recommended a guy to 'rebuild' the motor. I purchased a new motor (1200 pesos) while he rebuilt the old one (1200 pesos). I pointed out the stupidity of the situation and he dropped his price 100 pesos. So now we have a standby engine collecting dust.

We were so happy with the rainy season when we could turn off the sprinkler system. It is fed by the cistern and probably uses half of the cistern's capacity to cycle through the four zones. The downside is stuff builds up in the pipes when not in use. That is the case with our rather expensive sprinkler pump (17000 pesos). The same guy who charged us for the other pump charged us (2500 pesos) to clean the sprinkler pump.

We also have a gizmo near the tineco which controls the water pressure in the house. We seem to constantly have to go to the roof and give it a bang.

Water - for us that is probably the single most different thing from the states.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,076 Posts
It seems a shame to be burying this sort of info in a thread that obviously is not related but ...

Water is one of the things that has caused us the most loss of sleep over the last year. We also have both a cistern and tineco (in our 15 year old house). I don't know what the capacities are but a 5'8" man can climb into both and extend his arms.

First we burnt out the 1hp pump that fills the tineco from the cistern (in an emergency). A friend recommended a guy to 'rebuild' the motor. I purchased a new motor (1200 pesos) while he rebuilt the old one (1200 pesos). I pointed out the stupidity of the situation and he dropped his price 100 pesos. So now we have a standby engine collecting dust.

We were so happy with the rainy season when we could turn off the sprinkler system. It is fed by the cistern and probably uses half of the cistern's capacity to cycle through the four zones. The downside is stuff builds up in the pipes when not in use. That is the case with our rather expensive sprinkler pump (17000 pesos). The same guy who charged us for the other pump charged us (2500 pesos) to clean the sprinkler pump.

We also have a gizmo near the tineco which controls the water pressure in the house. We seem to constantly have to go to the roof and give it a bang.

Water - for us that is probably the single most different thing from the states.
I had a similar experience with the pump that moves water from the cistern to the tinaco. When I moved in I didn't understand the water system. One week the city water was off long enough to empty the tinaco. The pump came on automatically. At that time, I didn't even know the pump existed. It had not been used for years and it was dry, so it burned up. I put a new one in and now I run it every once in a while to make sure that it maintains a prime. I also leave it disconnected from power so it can't come on without my being there to check it.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Only 3 days .... we've been two weeks in the past and always have 3-4 day spells. Some of those outages were during construction and cement and mortar uses a lot of water. That's why I have two 1100 liter tinacos and an 11,000 liter cistern .... and a well.

Right now my pump from cistern to tinaco only holds pressure for about 10 minutes .... trouble shooting coming up.

I just reported this on our local message board. We live in the country beyond the pump and reservoirs.

Like most towns in Mexico water reservoirs are built on a nearby hill to create gravity pressure. Usually the water source is much lower than the reservoir so it has to be pumped up. The problem today is the pump is broken and they are letting the water run out in the road. In the past rather than having two pumps they can switch the pump has to be repaired. We'll see this time if Melaque runs out of water and for how long.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hidroneumático de 24 lt con bomba 1/2 HP Shimge

I am thinking about getting one of these cheap pumps to pump water from a storage tank and to boost pressure in my water line

there is a online site in mexico sell these for 930 peso and free shipping home depot wants over 2300 for the same thing

I live on a very limited income so any work done to my hut is done in baby steps :(

Has anyone else used one of these in there house?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Over ten years ago, we installed a submersible pump in our aljibe. It is cooled by the water and shuts off if the water drops to near empty. It provides pressure to a pressure tank, and also fills our tinaco. The tinaco has a check valve which only opens if there is no water pressure from the pump in the event of a power outage or lack of city water. Only once did we have to tap that check valve to get it to open. In over a decade that system has been trouble free and silent, compared to those noisy pumps in most homes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A problem that I have is getting a small rock/pebble stuck in the check valve after there has been a broken pipe somewhere up from my house. It holds the check valve open and drains all the water out from my tinaco. This just occurred 30 minutes before making this post. I now have no water at all and am hoping the city water returns tonight. I'm now planning to by a screen like you'll find in your kitchen or bathroom faucet and place it inside the valve to prevent this from happening again. I'll just have to clean it periodically as I do for the kitchen and bathroom faucets.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
A problem that I have is getting a small rock/pebble stuck in the backflow valve after there has been a broken pipe somewhere up from my house. It holds the backflow valve open and drains all the water out from my tinaco. .
Sounds similar to mine. I have 2-way check valves that switch from street pressure to gravity pressure. Street pressure is always stronger. I have to bang on the valves sometimes to un-stick them.

Don't like pumps that are on demand. Open a faucet and the pump comes on. No pump and no water.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A problem that I have is getting a small rock/pebble stuck in the check valve after there has been a broken pipe somewhere up from my house. It holds the check valve open and drains all the water out from my tinaco. This just occurred 30 minutes before making this post. I now have no water at all and am hoping the city water returns tonight. I'm now planning to by a screen like you'll find in your kitchen or bathroom faucet and place it inside the valve to prevent this from happening again. I'll just have to clean it periodically as I do for the kitchen and bathroom faucets.
maybe something like this will help

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dray with all the construction here in acapulco, my water tank on my toilet seems to collect all the dirt rocks and any other trash coming in from the city water, that little screen may need to be cleaned every 3 days

the picture of the pond pre filter is 8 dollars at home depot and should be almost maintenance free for a long time

my luck i used a couple peso screen in my water system, and no water in the middle of the night, my wife screaming fix it now, i am having a nitemare thinking about it lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
dray with all the construction here in acapulco, my water tank on my toilet seems to collect all the dirt rocks and any other trash coming in from the city water, that little screen may need to be cleaned every 3 days

the picture of the pond pre filter is 8 dollars at home depot and should be almost maintenance free for a long time

my luck i used a couple peso screen in my water system, and no water in the middle of the night, my wife screaming fix it now, i am having a nitemare thinking about it lol
I know what you mean but I really only need to clean the filters in the faucets of my kitchen and bathroom about once every three to for months. As far as the toilets...yes, I get alot of sediment that builds up fairly quickly at the bottom of the tank.
I used to have an inline water filter but I took it out because it just turned into a mud pit. It was just the cheap filter that came with my tinaco and I didn't really trust it much anyway.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am thinking about getting one of these cheap pumps to pump water from a storage tank and to boost pressure in my water line

there is a online site in mexico sell these for 930 peso and free shipping home depot wants over 2300 for the same thing

I live on a very limited income so any work done to my hut is done in baby steps :(

Has anyone else used one of these in there house?
Yes - we have one of those up next to the tineco. Hard to tell size from the picture. Our's stands maybe 2 feet tall. At the moment we are having trouble with that little brown box that hangs off to the side. That contains the switch. It gets stuck from time to time. It costs about 250 pesos - but the store is out at the moment.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Where do you live in México, Ihpdiver? A place where there is lots of sarro in the water? That sounds like a real pain?
We live in a community which shares a well. The quality of the water is better than Ciel bottled water, but it is high in calcium (blue/white crystals). We have gotten quotes for treating the water but thought it was a little pricey.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
We live in a community which shares a well. The quality of the water is better than Ciel bottled water, but it is high in calcium (blue/white crystals). We have gotten quotes for treating the water but thought it was a little pricey.
Ah, but the calcium from the well water along with the Vitamin D from the Mexican sun should give you nice, strong bones!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ah, but the calcium from the well water along with the Vitamin D from the Mexican sun should give you nice, strong bones!
Yeah - we are both feeling pretty good lately. We are thinking of climbing to the top of Tepozteco. Perhaps one day this week. What a glorious sunrise this morning. Popo looks quiet. You ever been to the town of San Juan ?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I presume you're referring to San Juan Tlacotenco? I don't think I've actually been in the town proper, just the outskirts. Our next door neighbours have some land there that they farm.

The Tepozteco is a great climb, although on weekends it can be really busy. Probably better during the week. Take lots of water! A few years ago when we climbed it my young daughter twisted her ankle on the way down. My son and I were taking turns supporting/carrying her, when a couple of delightful Mexican jovenes stopped and offered to help. The young man carried my daughter piggy back the rest of the way down, and then we all had a nice cold michelada at the bottom (well, except for the kids).

Did you know that in Santo Domingo Ocotitlan (also near Tepoz) they have strung zip lines (tirolesas) from mountain to mountain? My kids and sobrinos went on them last spring and had a blast. Quite the panoramic view. On the longest one (730 meters long, 140 m high) my daughter's weight wasn't quite enough to keep her "zipping" to the other side, and again a young man to the rescue - one of the workers had to go out hand over hand to her and pull her to the end. I wasn't quite brave enough to do the zip line - maybe next time... It's a community project and the money raised is for the town, and it also provides employment for local youth, which I really like.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for that info - I had known of one of those zip-line things in the area of the airport/piramids south of Cuernavaca but not something closer to Tepozlatan. Keeping in line with the George Bush Sr attitude - perhaps we will need to give it a try - not so sure of my wife,

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.