Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope All is Well!

I am a recent graduate in the US and am thinking about moving to Australia for at least a year. I'm in Real Estate at the time but have a B.S. in Criminology. I was wondering which area would be better to rent an apartment, Melbourne or Sydney? I would really like to stay close enough to a big city so I would not have to bring a car. I also want to stay close to the city because I'm just not ready to give up the college lifestyle. I'm looking at things such as average rent (apparently it is by weeks), and locations close to the city that may be a little less expensive. On top of that, what are the odds of finding a decent paying job? (nothing crazy but would like to save a little while I am there). Thank you in advance for your comments and pointers.

P.S. I've just begun my search so if something seems obvious go ahead and say it because I probably do not know it.

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Mark:

Please do a search on the forum, all the questions you've asked have been answered before in different posts.

Here's essentially what you need to answer:
1. What visa will you come on? If you intend to work you can come on a Working Holiday Visa, otherwise you need to apply for a PR (permanent residency visa) which can take years to process. Check out your options at the immi.gov.au website (use the visa wizard).
2. SYD and MEL are both great cities, depends on what you like, if I said: Chicago or NY which one is better how would you answer it without any other context?
3. Rent is by weeks, but many people pay monthly, this is how you calculate monthly rent: ((weekly rent / 7) * 365) / 12, so 400/wk rent = 1738.10 / month
4. Read the STICKY posts at the top of the forum, links to real estate websites. Once you've narrowed down some areas you are interested in you can open another thread to get opinions on that.

Hope All is Well!

I am a recent graduate in the US and am thinking about moving to Australia for at least a year. I'm in Real Estate at the time but have a B.S. in Criminology. I was wondering which area would be better to rent an apartment, Melbourne or Sydney? I would really like to stay close enough to a big city so I would not have to bring a car. I also want to stay close to the city because I'm just not ready to give up the college lifestyle. I'm looking at things such as average rent (apparently it is by weeks), and locations close to the city that may be a little less expensive. On top of that, what are the odds of finding a decent paying job? (nothing crazy but would like to save a little while I am there). Thank you in advance for your comments and pointers.

P.S. I've just begun my search so if something seems obvious go ahead and say it because I probably do not know it.

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Remember that the WHV restricts you so that you are only allowed to work for 6 months at a company before you have to arrange alternative employment.

Dolly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts