Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can i live (for the time while i hold the Portuguese visa) in Italy (without working) if i have a Portuguese work visa?

·
Registered
627 Posts
For how long?

I suspect that the answer is a resounding "No!" but forum member BBCWATCHER will likely know for sure.

·
Administrator
49,852 Posts
A Portuguese work visa is only valid for Portugal. If you arrive in Italy first, you're considered to be on a "tourist" visa (i.e. a Schengen visa), subject to the 90 day restriction. But on a tourist visa, you are not "living" in the country at all. You're "just visiting."
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
If you're working in Portugal how are you living in Italy? I guess you could fly Rome/Lisbon twice a day. I've seen worse commutes. But other then that I can't understand how you could be working in one country and living in the other?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a part time job. i only work part of the month. does it make it better if i enter in to portugal . then go back and for the once a month to italy? it would be for a 6 month period...

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
No. Both Italy and Portugal are part of the same visa area. You don't even clear immigration normally when you travel between any of the Schengen countries.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So are you saying that no i can't go back and forth between Portugal and Italy monthly. Even if i have a Portuguese work visa.

I thank you can tell I'm holding on to a thread of hope that this will work. Perhaps I'm just not going to be lucky :(

·
Administrator
49,852 Posts
If you're working in Portugal, then you're resident there. And your time in Italy is subject to the 90 days out of 180 tourist rules.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
Said another way, residence and stay permission in Portugal does not provide anything you didn't already have in terms of ability to visit Italy except for improved geographic proximity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts