Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved here nearly a year ago with my partner, I was pregnant with our son. I had our son in a French hospital and have to say the healthcare was great and the doctors were amazing.
When we moved here I didn't speak any French, and as we speak English at home my French is very basic to say the least.
So now 8 months after he was born im starting to feel a little bit alone. My partner works 5-6 days a week and I spend all day with my son, speaking English!
I am looking for advice on where to find out about part time French courses also I would like to find out about mother and baby groups, so that my son can interact with other children??!!
Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Jenni

·
Administrator
51,628 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

One of your first stops should be the local mairie (town hall). It's right around now that many towns are running their "Forum des associations" - a sort of fair to feature the clubs and associations in town. If you've missed it (ours was last weekend), there should be a display rack or table somewhere in the mairie with brochures from the various associations.

In some areas, there are associations that offer French classes for foreigners in the area. You can ask at the mairie if they know of any groups or government sponsored classes in the area. There may also be a newcomers group of some kind (usually with the word "accueil" in the title somewhere).

In most French towns the mairie is really the center of the social and cultural life of the town. Though it's all in French, you might take a look at the website for the town: bienvenue sur le site de la ville de Mayenne

Over on the left side of the page, click on "Action Social et santé" and take a look at the group called Agitato. They seem to run the monthly Bourse de vêtements, which is where lots of new moms go to sell and exchange baby clothes. There are also a couple of crêches, plus a halte garderie, which would give your son some French playmates.

The first steps are the hardest. Practice a couple sentences in French ("Pouvez-vous m'aider?" is always good for a starter, then a sentence to introduce yourself) and then try your wings. It sounds like there are a number of activities out there that might be just what you're looking for - and I bet you'll find a few folks more than happy to help you with your french in exchange for letting them practice their English with you.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bev, i will check out everything you mentioned. I think my French is worse than it is, I can visit the midwife and Doctor at the (PMI) local Mairie on my own and we understand each other most of the time! :) If there anyone who live close to Laval who know of any English/French groups, would love to know.
Thanks Jenni

·
Administrator
51,628 Posts
I did notice on the La Mayenne website that they offer English classes - apparently to help with their "twin towns" set-up. You might ask at the mairie if they would like any help with their English classes - and maybe you'd find a few folks willing to do a french-english group with you. Whoever they have teaching the English classes might know of French classes in the area.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Jenni

We're moving over nr Fougerolles du Plessis mid to end of this month - my partner will be away alot of the time and I have two children, 2 years and 8 years. So I will be in the same boat as you. Let me know if you'd like to get together !
Lucy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Lucy,
That sounds great! Were the other side of Laval to you, but we will sort something out. Spoke to my patner last night and he said it sounds like a great idea, only downfall for me is that I dont drive ..... YET!! (I passed my theory first time, did all my lessons and had my test booked it the Uk for the week before we moved, but I cancelled it as I was over 7 months pregnant and just didn't feel comfotable, I wish i'd just taken it now! :( (lol) But he said we would sort it out!! :).
Jenni

·
Registered
36 Posts
I moved here nearly a year ago with my partner, I was pregnant with our son. I had our son in a French hospital and have to say the healthcare was great and the doctors were amazing.
When we moved here I didn't speak any French, and as we speak English at home my French is very basic to say the least.
So now 8 months after he was born im starting to feel a little bit alone. My partner works 5-6 days a week and I spend all day with my son, speaking English!
I am looking for advice on where to find out about part time French courses also I would like to find out about mother and baby groups, so that my son can interact with other children??!!
Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Jenni
Hi Jenni

I posted a couple of days ago re French lessons on line / telephone, it may be of interest to you. My French teacher is doing this, if you're interested PM me, or post

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.