Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys can anyone living in Canberra tell me what it's like to live and work there. My wife and I are considering to move there. We have two children, a 1 year old and a 3 year old, we are both trained chefs living in Ireland. Thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
A lot of people moan about Canberra, usually Aussies that have never visited the city. It is expensive here, but salaries are also higher here. It has all the benefits of a city, but far less people - even at rush hour you can drive from one side to the other in half an hour. I think it is a great place to raise children too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zultan said:
A lot of people moan about Canberra, usually Aussies that have never visited the city. It is expensive here, but salaries are also higher here. It has all the benefits of a city, but far less people - even at rush hour you can drive from one side to the other in half an hour. I think it is a great place to raise children too.
Thanks Zultan. We are looking to emigrate and we are being careful as we want somewhere family orientated and safe for our children. What is the weather like. Also I hear it is a great cultural city which is great as I am also a qualified and practicing artist.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Canberra is famous for long dry summers, running into cooler dry autumns - or at least it was until this year. It has rained and rained and rained since last Wednesday. Canberra itself has escaped flooding, but many parts of NSW and Victoria are under water.

Have a read of Canberra News & Opinion | The RiotACT most of the content comes from the readers - help you get a feel for the place.

·
Banned
4 Posts
rental in canberra are usually high but you get a better quality of living, i feel that the air is fresher in canberra and the streets are laid out in a consistent way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
singaporeclubau said:
rental in canberra are usually high but you get a better quality of living, i feel that the air is fresher in canberra and the streets are laid out in a consistent way.
Thanks again Zoltan. We are also looking at Wellington New Zealand, but we are worried about the slowing down of the New Zealand economy, low wages and high cost of living, earthquakes. Seems OZ is a bit safer in that regard. There also seems to be a Lot of unhappy New Zealanders leaving to live in Australia at the moment which does not make a great advert for Kiwi life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.