Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

So for those of you who have seen me posting before, this is to officially say that the plans are all set in motion. So holding thumbs that it all goes well. :fingerscrossed:

I will be relocating to Blackburn (north west area). I was wondering if anyone else on this forum is from Blackburn, or nearby who could give me a bit of an insight of what life is like in the north.

I've heard its very quiet and more of a laid back kind of vibe. How easy is it to get a job in Blackburn and what are the people like??

I also heard its really cold?? Does anyone have any tips for me :):).. What to expect, what to prepare for, what are the positive things and the negative things. I don't mind, I'd prefer to have a wholistic opinion than go in with blinders on :)

So excited but extremely nervous at the same time....

Poco

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Blackburn? Quiet? Perhaps in the rural areas surrounding it but Blackburn itself is a busy place and a population centre. It has a large number of people from the Asian subcontinent (mainly Pakistanis who originally moved there for the textile industry; now in the third generation) but communities get on ok.
Job? Depends on the sector and your qualification/experience. What kind of a job are you looking for.
Cold? Well, it's in North West England and in the winter you get some snow and ice. It rains a fair bit throughout the year. Summer is mild and quite pleasant, but you rarely get very hot days. Only reach the 30s a few times a year, sometimes none.
People are invariably friendly, down to earth. Some parts of Blackburn have social deprivation. But not dangerous.
I don't live in Blackburn but know the area a fair bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awh thanks Joppa!!

haha my fiance is a cricket player and i met him through friends that are cricket players too and they said that its rather quiet and mellow.. I don't think they went to the right places if your saying its busy..

but that actually makes me feel abit better. Cape Town is a very busy and lively city, so it would be good to be around the same kind of vibe while adjusting.

Yes i've also heard that it is full of Asians.. In South Africa we consider Asians mostly Chinese, taiwanese, koreans etc. so thats going to be a bit of an adjustment :) But im looking forward to it.

jobs- well i'm currently in finance, it's a great field to be in but I worked in marketing and PR for almost 3 years and I loved it. Mostly dealing with the advertising and marketing of films produced in South Africa and dealing with publications of famous local and international actors.
So i guess my first choice would be in marketing and communications. Thereafter, if not successful, I'd look into finance. I can't not work, it would drive me insane!!

haha hmmm see this is the part i'm worried about, I love the cold but throughout the year with one or 2 few sunny days is going to be a big change. I love South Africa for the weather. BUT i suppose the upside of being in the UK is no wind and sideways rain :)

Thank you so much Joppa, I'm feeling alil more confident about the move now.

poco

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello everyone,

So for those of you who have seen me posting before, this is to officially say that the plans are all set in motion. So holding thumbs that it all goes well. :fingerscrossed:

I will be relocating to Blackburn (north west area). I was wondering if anyone else on this forum is from Blackburn, or nearby who could give me a bit of an insight of what life is like in the north.

I've heard its very quiet and more of a laid back kind of vibe. How easy is it to get a job in Blackburn and what are the people like??

I also heard its really cold?? Does anyone have any tips for me :):).. What to expect, what to prepare for, what are the positive things and the negative things. I don't mind, I'd prefer to have a wholistic opinion than go in with blinders on :)

So excited but extremely nervous at the same time....

Poco
I been there its very nice small city now people are almost Pakistani and Indain and job is not easy in blackburn but you can have alway the job in take away and restaurant and delivery job and weather mostly not too cold and rain is very common and very nice park garden and friendly people I lived there and I like

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
For those sort of jobs, Blackburn offers few openings. You have to try Manchester or Liverpool - much bigger cities. Blackburn is quite provincial by comparison.
It won't be like Cape Town at all. A population of around 100,000. So medium-sized city (town) by Lancashire standard but not internationally. It should meet your everyday needs (like food shopping) but you may want to venture out to Manchester for more entertainment, sports (cricket in particular with Old Trafford), eating out, nightlife etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Joppa, I'll keep that in mind. I was told that Manchester and Preston and Liverpool aren't too far from Blackburn. It's odd because the distance between them is the same as our suburbs within Cape Town. I'm looking forward to travelling and exploring the North.
I don't mind travelling for work, just as long as im doing something.
Thank you so much Joppa!! Ur such a star!!

LOL thank you yahya for the insight :) much appreciated. I think at this point i rather travel the distance than work in a restaurant. NO offense at all, it's just that I studied for years and I currently work in a skilled field, so those jobs just won't do right now. I'd rather wait and work on the house. My fiance earns more than enough for the 2 of us, I just like working (in a skilled job :)).

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Consider the cost of travel. Not cheap, either by public transport (trains mainly) or by car. Petrol/diesel costs around £1.20 a litre or R22, so almost double.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm thats true. I'm applying for a marriage visa first as I still need to come back to SA to round up a few things after the wedding. SO I think within the 4 months I am "visiting" I will need to consider all of these things.
Thanks Joppa, I lit have a pen and page in front of me and i'm jotting down all these lil points from this chat AND from other forums.

·
Registered
246 Posts
poco, great to hear , i am also waiting to hear about my marriage Visa put it in last Tuesday,, in Toronto..goodluck to you
Also Joppa is great help...Joppa i will be in Doncaster close to lancashire..yes/no

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Not really. Doncaster to Blackburn will be about 85 miles and about 2 hours by car.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i guess the round about kills everything ..lol liking it to yorkshire by train from there..(Doncaster) rail system is pretty good compared to ours TTC (Toronto transit commission)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol ejw09, at least you have functional trains!! have you seen/heard about our train system in South Africa.. It's more like an experience than a mode of transport. You have to experience it at least once in your life, but I don't recommend commuting to and from work on it, esp well dressed with valuables.

Thanks again Joppa you really are a star!!

ejw09 all the best!! holding thumbs that all goes well for you and everything works out :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.