Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planing on relocating to Dubai by myself, and have pretty much decided I would like to live in the Marina area (1 bed room)........so I am looking for some overall expenses/budget information from all the expats on the ground.

I have been combing the web and found a ton of useful information in regards to expenses/budgets, but I would like to get some up to date information straight from some of you.........

First off a quick question about renting......I see all the listed apartments. Do most landlords only accept their listed prices/rent, or is it typical to negotiate?

Average Expenses:
1) Electric
2) Internet
3) Mobil phone service
4) Groceries (eat in 5 nights a week)
5) Average price/meal.....local rest.
6) Renters Insurance
7) Cable TV
8) Car insurance

Any up to date information would be greatly appreciated! And any additional items I might be missing that are specific to Dubai?

Greg

·
Registered
67 Posts
expense

below my response

I am planing on relocating to Dubai by myself, and have pretty much decided I would like to live in the Marina area (1 bed room)........so I am looking for some overall expenses/budget information from all the expats on the ground.

I have been combing the web and found a ton of useful information in regards to expenses/budgets, but I would like to get some up to date information straight from some of you.........

First off a quick question about renting......I see all the listed apartments. Do most landlords only accept their listed prices/rent, or is it typical to negotiate? Can and should negotiate

Average Expenses:
1) Electric 300-500
2) Internet 200-? 200 for a 8mb/1mb Du connection + landline number
3) Mobil phone service 100 free international minutes, 100 local minutes, 50 international SMS, 50 national SMS per month for AED 100
4) Groceries (eat in 5 nights a week) around 1000/month
5) Average price/meal.....local rest. define local
6) Renters Insurance no clue
7) Cable TV 100/month, most buildings have satellite tv, so you just need to buy a receiver and get channels for free
8) Car insurance depends on the car and if you want to get comprehensive or third party. comprehensive for a car of AED 60,000 is around AED 2,500/month. Third party is AED 600/year

Any up to date information would be greatly appreciated! And any additional items I might be missing that are specific to Dubai?

Greg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Berliner,

Thanks for the detailed response! As far a eating out......I always enjoy eating a small local ethnic restaurants. I am not really sure what is available, just not the typical western fast food places!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dining out can be as (in)expensive as you want it to be. Restaurants in the Marina predominately cater to western expatriates and tourists so a meal on JBR is likely to cost more than in some other parts of town. For the sake of comparison take the chicken biryani at Zafran in the Marina which costs aed52 and the same dish costs aed16 from 800Thali in JLT.

·
Registered
845 Posts
if a landlord is asking 40,000 you *might* get him down a couple thousand but usually only if you offer to pay in less cheques. so if he is asking for 2 cheques, he may demand one for a discount.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Regarding this bit:

"3) Mobil phone service 100 free international minutes, 100 local minutes, 50 international SMS, 50 national SMS per month for AED 100"

Is there a new deal out ? (genuine question). As far as I know all of the above mentioned features would make it more than a 100 a month ...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Regarding this bit:

"3) Mobil phone service 100 free international minutes, 100 local minutes, 50 international SMS, 50 national SMS per month for AED 100"

Is there a new deal out ? (genuine question). As far as I know all of the above mentioned features would make it more than a 100 a month ...
Nope I have had this for at least two years and pay 100 AED sharp or a bit over if I pass my internet quota which is capped at 50M or 100M dont recall.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Nope I have had this for at least two years and pay 100 AED sharp or a bit over if I pass my internet quota which is capped at 50M or 100M dont recall.
Etisalat or du and is it prepaid or post paid ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
A couple of other things to consider which often catch people out.

Utility Bills are known as DEWA (Dubai Electricity & Water Authority).
These differ between properties, but always include Electricity & Water.
More recently they include a Housing Fee which is supposed to be 5% of the annual rental amount.
Some also include A/C separately and this can get expensive during the summer months.

As others have said, you can eat out on the cheap or max out your credit cards!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh yeah - in terms of negotiating with landlords - there are often several agents representing the same property.
I told several agents my MAXIMUM budget and when deciding to make an offer they said it was another 15K on top - complete waste of my time and very frustrating.
The estate agent (or real estate) market here annoys the hell out of me... :frusty:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts