Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, its great to read about people who are going through or have been through the same emotions as my family are going through at the moment. We are due to fly out to NZ in January and have suddenly started to feel really worried.
Is anyone able to tell us how easy it is to LIVE on an average wage as a maintenance fitter in NZ. We don't expect to live a life of luxury, just be able to pay the bills, raise our two children (12 and 9) and go out occasionally.
I read on another forum that unless you earn a large wage you will barely have enough to survive on.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Hi all, its great to read about people who are going through or have been through the same emotions as my family are going through at the moment. We are due to fly out to NZ in January and have suddenly started to feel really worried.
Is anyone able to tell us how easy it is to LIVE on an average wage as a maintenance fitter in NZ. We don't expect to live a life of luxury, just be able to pay the bills, raise our two children (12 and 9) and go out occasionally.
I read on another forum that unless you earn a large wage you will barely have enough to survive on.
I'm not sure how much an 'average' maintenance fitter's wage is, but I'd say that generally I haven't seen a large proportion of people on the absolute poverty line here.

That's not to say that there aren't poor people - of course there are. Bust most seem to have what I'd consider an average standard of living compared to what I saw in the UK. And most of my friends have a similar standard to the one that they left.

I'd say that there may be more with money difficulties outside of the main towns too - for example, we know Taumarunui reasonably well, and I wouldn't call that a well off town. It is also losing population, which doesn't help - but then that's very similar to some towns in the North of England.

But in Auckland - it's a typical city with a range of suburbs from the very rich (e.g. Remuera) to the much poorer (e.g. those in South Auckland).

I suggest that you spend your time when you get here investigating areas, and deciding which suburbs are in your price range while giving you the kind of life you want.

One thing to bear in mind - if you do have some savings from equity in a UK house, you'll have a head start. But don't do what some of my friends did and get carried away with the cheaper house prices then taking out a mortgage that was more in line with the UK salary they left behind. Mortgage rates are more than the UK, and salaries are around 2/3. But the cost of living is less too (unless you get a huge mortgage!) so it evens out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We are finding the same with our research, which is scaring us a bit. I am an engineer and my salary may not cover our expenses, according to cost of living calculations.:confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am in Christchurch, earning a pretty good wage for here, typical wages are poor, but I am able to afford rent, and pay off a loan which I have in Ireland, I try to save around 300NZ$ a week, unfortunately it leaves me with little else to enjoy my wages on after that. It is a cheap country to live in, but the fact that the salaries are so low is a factor to be taken into account for anyone coming over here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Moving to NZ Y/N?

By international standards, NZ is not a cheap place to live. The economy is a fraction of the size of the UK so, if the size of one's take home pay is the primary objective, then NZ is probably not the best place to move to. Now, when it comes to lifestyle, beauty & the Kiwi folk themselves - personally I do not think one could find a more magnificent place :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
No way is the cost of living here cheap!

We are living on one wage while the other looks after the house/kids etc.

That wage is $72,150 NZD. It don't go very far I can tell you!

Admittedly we rent a big house $1400/month, plus electricity $250/month, supermarket must be at least $800/month, phone and broadband $100/month/old car is prob about $300/month

We have a 12 year old car and camping holidays, no meals out, no newspapers/books/'lattes'/CD's/DVD's and we are real careful in the supermarket.

If we spent like we did in the UK ie. 2 cars/spanish holidays/trips to Norway/newspapers/CD's/DVD's/takeouts/buying good presents/new clothes/new stuff for the kids etc.......would run out of money in the first week of the month!

In conclusion, we do have a fantastic standard of living all things considered and there are no complaints, but there is not much left over and thats living 'carefully'.

Great place though, just do your maths. We also were fooled by national average wage around $50k.....Jeez! I would not want to manage on that. Statistics are skewed by a significant number of people here earning VERY low wages (and their health suffers tremendously as a result).

Find out how much you are likely to earn first would be my advice.
Sorry if this turned into a rant! Guess that I am fed up with folk saying how cheap it is here!!
Cheers
Ian

p.s. I earned about £30k as a builder in the UK and that seemed to go forever and we saved cash.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got to agree with Ian, when I said its cheap here, I mean the direct comparison in prices between here and Ireland is different, however wages are much lower here, so the cash doesnt go as far. For example auto oil (10W40 Castrol Magnetec) costs 45euro for 4L in Ireland, whereas here the very same brand and size costs around $40, which is approx 20euro. Thats just one example.
I also found that I was never left short at the end of the month back home and always had spare cash in my account, whereas here its checking ever single time that a transaction is made that I can afford it, practically counting ever cent up in the supermarket to make sure we dont go over budget, saving up at the moment just to take a month off and travel the country, its a fantastic country, quality of life is great, weather is amazing, scenery is spectacular, so much to do and see. But make sure and take into account that minimum wage is NZ$12, approx 6euro p/h, and that it isnt going to be easy to find a job that pays good wages. Like I said previously I found a job with what I consider good wages for here and I still struggle and dont get to splash out.
Dont let that dishearten you, I'm glad I came here, its taught me how to appreciate real wages and how to save for a rainy day, and how to survive with very little week by week, and above all else its the most beautiful and breath taking place I've ever been in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
all say aye!

Spot on Martyjer, agree with you too.

Thats the confusing bit. Individually spot check items seem to be cheaper (than UK) but over all the cash seems to fly out! (cucumbers peaked here at close to £2/$5 though!)

So, after the rent and "pak 'n'not' save", there's not much left. Depends on what you consider essential doesn't it though?

Beer, is still an essential isn't it?

Gosh I hope so, be a bu88er to have to give that up as well.
DVD's I can live without, but a cold one in this weather........

Stay well,
Ian

p.s. agree also that it teaches you that you bought a lot of rubbish in your previous 'less real' life in the UK. Half the stuff you used to buy you didn't really need!

I wrote about having it all a while back that seems to be relevent here.
Thanks

Got to agree with Ian, when I said its cheap here, I mean the direct comparison in prices between here and Ireland is different, however wages are much lower here, so the cash doesnt go as far. For example auto oil (10W40 Castrol Magnetec) costs 45euro for 4L in Ireland, whereas here the very same brand and size costs around $40, which is approx 20euro. Thats just one example.
I also found that I was never left short at the end of the month back home and always had spare cash in my account, whereas here its checking ever single time that a transaction is made that I can afford it, practically counting ever cent up in the supermarket to make sure we dont go over budget, saving up at the moment just to take a month off and travel the country, its a fantastic country, quality of life is great, weather is amazing, scenery is spectacular, so much to do and see. But make sure and take into account that minimum wage is NZ$12, approx 6euro p/h, and that it isnt going to be easy to find a job that pays good wages. Like I said previously I found a job with what I consider good wages for here and I still struggle and dont get to splash out.
Dont let that dishearten you, I'm glad I came here, its taught me how to appreciate real wages and how to save for a rainy day, and how to survive with very little week by week, and above all else its the most beautiful and breath taking place I've ever been in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'll provide a slightly different perspective.

My family and I (wife, 2 kids in school) seriously (seriously) looked into moving to NZ from the USA (Minnesota, to be exact) not too long ago. We are both professional types (both of us have doctorates). In looking at what we could earn, assuming we could gain employment, it was clear that we'd be taking a huge pay cut moving down under - like about 40% or more. That, however, wasn't the deal breaker - it was the expenses of living in NZ. I cannot speak to the UK, but housing in NZ is ridiculous-expensive and of poor quality overall. I was shocked. Here, $150,000 US (about $205,000 NZD) would buy a newer home, about 2500 sq. ft., air conditioned, etc. Nothing even close in NZ. Food was much higher. Utilities were far more expensive. Transportation as well. Almost everything was 30-40% more expensive. Granted, nearly everything in NZ has to be imported, but still....it was sobering. Add to that the fact that Americans are not particularly welcome in NZ (probably different for Brits, etc.), and we were on the fence. The deal breaker was the education our children would receive - we have kids on the "extremes" - one very advanced and one with a lot of needs. Neither would flourish under the NZ system. So, we didn't go.

·
Registered
116 Posts
No way is the cost of living here cheap!

We are living on one wage while the other looks after the house/kids etc.

That wage is $72,150 NZD. It don't go very far I can tell you!

Admittedly we rent a big house $1400/month, plus electricity $250/month, supermarket must be at least $800/month, phone and broadband $100/month/old car is prob about $300/month

We have a 12 year old car and camping holidays, no meals out, no newspapers/books/'lattes'/CD's/DVD's and we are real careful in the supermarket.

If we spent like we did in the UK ie. 2 cars/spanish holidays/trips to Norway/newspapers/CD's/DVD's/takeouts/buying good presents/new clothes/new stuff for the kids etc.......would run out of money in the first week of the month!

In conclusion, we do have a fantastic standard of living all things considered and there are no complaints, but there is not much left over and thats living 'carefully'.

Great place though, just do your maths. We also were fooled by national average wage around $50k.....Jeez! I would not want to manage on that. Statistics are skewed by a significant number of people here earning VERY low wages (and their health suffers tremendously as a result).

Find out how much you are likely to earn first would be my advice.
Sorry if this turned into a rant! Guess that I am fed up with folk saying how cheap it is here!!
Cheers
Ian

p.s. I earned about £30k as a builder in the UK and that seemed to go forever and we saved cash.

Here ! Here ! I was scrolling down this page amazed that I had read - it's cheap to live in NZ ! and I don't understand how others have come to this conclusion.

My husband works in the construction industry and earns considerably less than he did in the UK. And let's not get started on the food bills, electricity bills Etc ...I tend to shop around much more, I go to three different places for the weekly shop!

But were not unhappy and we like NZ, otherwise we wouldn't have come ...it's not all about money. But I do miss things such as 'Quality' - Quality clothes at a reasonable price!

If you move from the UK with some equity from your home to buy another here, it will keep your mortgage low and that's the best thing to do to enable the cost of living to be manageable. But as some one else has said - don't get carried away and end up struggling with a big mortgage - interest rates have dropped since we came over two years ago, but they are sure to rise again.

I would never say to anyone not to move here because of high cost of living - it's a wonderful country, it depends on what you want out of life and at the end of the day where would you rather be?!?

·
Registered
23 Posts
You're totally right

I'll provide a slightly different perspective.

My family and I (wife, 2 kids in school) seriously (seriously) looked into moving to NZ from the USA (Minnesota, to be exact) not too long ago. We are both professional types (both of us have doctorates). In looking at what we could earn, assuming we could gain employment, it was clear that we'd be taking a huge pay cut moving down under - like about 40% or more. That, however, wasn't the deal breaker - it was the expenses of living in NZ. I cannot speak to the UK, but housing in NZ is ridiculous-expensive and of poor quality overall. I was shocked. Here, $150,000 US (about $205,000 NZD) would buy a newer home, about 2500 sq. ft., air conditioned, etc. Nothing even close in NZ. Food was much higher. Utilities were far more expensive. Transportation as well. Almost everything was 30-40% more expensive. Granted, nearly everything in NZ has to be imported, but still....it was sobering. Add to that the fact that Americans are not particularly welcome in NZ (probably different for Brits, etc.), and we were on the fence. The deal breaker was the education our children would receive - we have kids on the "extremes" - one very advanced and one with a lot of needs. Neither would flourish under the NZ system. So, we didn't go.
We're originally British but have lived in Australia, Canada, USA and now NZ. It's the most expensive we've ever lived in. Not only because the salaries are the lowest and the taxes the highest with little/no benefit for children or non-working spouses and no basic benefits at work such as long term sickness or life cover. We have been in all of the above countries in the past year and are shocked at the cost of living here. Prices at the supermarket, electricity, fuel, housing, etc, are far more expensive here than USA with little choice. In Australia, the pay is far higher, the taxes, etc, lower, the housing standard far better, choice better in everything, supermarket costs, etc, much cheaper. In UK, housing was harder to come by and more expensive, but bills far cheaper. The supermarkets were also cheaper. Canada is the closest for costs of living and taxes but the salaries are higher so you can do more. Also, the housing in these countries has proper heating/airconditioning as needed but it's HORRENDOUS here as the high amount of sickness shows. We are professionals and are used to being able to buy what we want (within reason) and go where we want (within reason). Here, we run out of money at the end of every week and are constantly thinking about how we're going to survive. This Christmas is not so good for our 3 children as we can't afford the presents they want as we could overseas.

The education here seems to be better than Australia, but not up to US standards. We also have children at both ends of the spectrum. The youngest was getting fantastic help and support in the schools in USA, but not much here and apparently he's getting more than most because of my pushing. My eldest is a straight A student but, although he came first in maths and sciences exams in his entire high school year here, he did not get an award as he started half way through the year. We are fighting to get him into the higher group for these subjects as all places have been taken by kids in the system already, so this is discrimination as they've admitted he's the top. We're here because of the recession, but the moment it lifts we're off!

The people here seem to be pretty friendly but no-where near as good as USA. The people in Canada were pretty off, and in Australia they are very family oriented and it's very difficult to break in. We've made some great friends here, although most are imports, but that's OK. If anyone has a choice, putting everything into perspective (lifestyle, salaries, health systems, friends, etc) the best seems to be Australia by far. Guess that's why half of New Zealand lives there!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi,
Noticed you live in Rolleston, we are moving to NZ in the New Year and were planning on Rolleston as our final detination. We did visit the Christchurch area and particularly liked the look of Rolleston, can you share your views on Rolleston?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rolleston

Hi,
Noticed you live in Rolleston, we are moving to NZ in the New Year and were planning on Rolleston as our final detination. We did visit the Christchurch area and particularly liked the look of Rolleston, can you share your views on Rolleston?
Hi Martin,

We've been in Rolleston since June and have just bought a block of land in the township as it suits us very well. We have made good friends here and the lifestyle is calm. We originally chose the area because we wanted a good high school for our eldest and Lincoln has a good reputation. It has turned out to be an excellent school so we wanted to stay somewhere in their catchment. We have two younger children as well and they like the local primary school.

Rolleston is quiet and in the countryside but has the necessary shops in the township with the larger ones not far away this side of Christchurch. The housing is some of the better in the region as most of it is new and so is insulated and heated (you need to check for the latter and need at least one heat pump). If the Kiwis say it's toasty warm in winter, don't believe them. A heat pump is a necessity here and even then the bedrooms are freezing in winter. All in all, Rolleston has a good community and good lifestyle compared to a lot of places in and around Christchurch. We are pleased we chose it and they're building a pool here soon which will be good.

Hope this helps. If you want any more info please contact me. When/If you come here, please let me know and I'll give you more information about everything and give you the details of the Newcomers' Association which is great to get to know people from all over the world, mainly Brits and Kiwis.

Good luck.

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive got to agree with sensiblebear on the cost of living in NZ,Were still living in the UK and its
a complete mess from start to Finnish living here, are bankers/Government leaders have all
ripped us Brits off,The UK is on it's knees and my children's children will be picking up the dept bill in years to come if were continue to live in the UK,Hence the reason why we really are thinking about emigrating to NZ as soon as my wife finishes her degree in nursing,The UK has finished ....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi all, before we moved here we spent a large part of our research on the cost of living by checking out the weekly circulars, specials and catalogues of the main stores which we compared with Tesco and Asda so that we could see what we were getting into. I have attached a few of these which may help and give you an up to date guide on today’s prices.

New World Supermarkets
Countdown - Shop Smarter | the supermarket brand for the future
www.woolworths.co.nz
Our Specials - Raeward Fresh
Dick Smith - New Zealand
Online Shopping at The Warehouse. Buy Online!
Computers Electrical Furniture Bedding - Harvey Norman New Zealand
Welcome - Bond and Bond
Noel Leeming - New Zealand's leading appliance, computer, gaming and whiteware store
Consumer NZ - independent product ratings & reviews
Another site that we came across that has lots of good info and calculators on utilities and finance Financial Calculators New Zealand | New Zealand Investment Calculators

Jules

·
Registered
23 Posts
We're originally British but have lived in Australia, Canada, USA and now NZ. It's the most expensive we've ever lived in. Not only because the salaries are the lowest and the taxes the highest with little/no benefit for children or non-working spouses and no basic benefits at work such as long term sickness or life cover. We have been in all of the above countries in the past year and are shocked at the cost of living here. Prices at the supermarket, electricity, fuel, housing, etc, are far more expensive here than USA with little choice. In Australia, the pay is far higher, the taxes, etc, lower, the housing standard far better, choice better in everything, supermarket costs, etc, much cheaper. In UK, housing was harder to come by and more expensive, but bills far cheaper. The supermarkets were also cheaper. Canada is the closest for costs of living and taxes but the salaries are higher so you can do more. Also, the housing in these countries has proper heating/airconditioning as needed but it's HORRENDOUS here as the high amount of sickness shows. We are professionals and are used to being able to buy what we want (within reason) and go where we want (within reason). Here, we run out of money at the end of every week and are constantly thinking about how we're going to survive. This Christmas is not so good for our 3 children as we can't afford the presents they want as we could overseas.

The education here seems to be better than Australia, but not up to US standards. We also have children at both ends of the spectrum. The youngest was getting fantastic help and support in the schools in USA, but not much here and apparently he's getting more than most because of my pushing. My eldest is a straight A student but, although he came first in maths and sciences exams in his entire high school year here, he did not get an award as he started half way through the year. We are fighting to get him into the higher group for these subjects as all places have been taken by kids in the system already, so this is discrimination as they've admitted he's the top. We're here because of the recession, but the moment it lifts we're off!

The people here seem to be pretty friendly but no-where near as good as USA. The people in Canada were pretty off, and in Australia they are very family oriented and it's very difficult to break in. We've made some great friends here, although most are imports, but that's OK. If anyone has a choice, putting everything into perspective (lifestyle, salaries, health systems, friends, etc) the best seems to be Australia by far. Guess that's why half of New Zealand lives there!
What if you had to choose between New Zealand or the U.K? That is the choice we are making at the moment and the U.K. is winning on cost of living and salary.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What if you had to choose between New Zealand or the U.K? That is the choice we are making at the moment and the U.K. is winning on cost of living and salary.
UK is definitely better for cost of living and salary. Also for choice and quality of products. However, if you're moving to get away from the crime and violence for your family, then somewhere like Christchurch is a good bed. It's pretty safe here compared to UK. The schooling is also good for the kids and you don't need to go privately. Auckland is more like UK.

It's easier to get into NZ than Australia because half of NZ already live in Oz and are still moving over in droves so leaving a vacuum of skills here. The salaries there are high, taxes much lower, cost of living cheaper, lifestyle better, little violence, etc. Many Brits are convinced there are too many bugs and it's too hot. Australia is a continent and it's like comparing Greece to Norway. There is a wide range of climates there. Certainly, if you're coming to NZ for good, consider getting your citizenship and then moving to Oz later if you don't like it here. There are options.

Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
UK is definitely better for cost of living and salary. Also for choice and quality of products. However, if you're moving to get away from the crime and violence for your family, then somewhere like Christchurch is a good bed. It's pretty safe here compared to UK. The schooling is also good for the kids and you don't need to go privately. Auckland is more like UK.

It's easier to get into NZ than Australia because half of NZ already live in Oz and are still moving over in droves so leaving a vacuum of skills here. The salaries there are high, taxes much lower, cost of living cheaper, lifestyle better, little violence, etc. Many Brits are convinced there are too many bugs and it's too hot. Australia is a continent and it's like comparing Greece to Norway. There is a wide range of climates there. Certainly, if you're coming to NZ for good, consider getting your citizenship and then moving to Oz later if you don't like it here. There are options.

Good luck.
Thanks, My missus won't go near Oz, too scared of Spiders! I think we will struggle financially in NZ if salaries are lower and cost of living is the same as U.K.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Spiders

Thanks, My missus won't go near Oz, too scared of Spiders! I think we will struggle financially in NZ if salaries are lower and cost of living is the same as U.K.
If you move to Tasmania, Victoria and South Australia (Adelaide) there are no more spiders there than here. It's only in the tropics that there are more (Sydney, Brisbane, Darwin). Don't rule Australia out in the long term.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts