Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a student from India. My family is planning to sponsor me for my masters that I intend to do in Paris.

As its my father's money, I would like to minimize the cost and see what options can I work out. Other than the university fees what are the other cost that I should plan for?

Insurance and other legal costs, accommodation, food, transport, weekends, day to day expenses like visiting pub or going for movies, etc are the ones which I can think of. Are there any other major factors that I need to consider? And can you please give me an idea of how much this cost can be in this year of recession.

I am planning to come in September and stay till an year. I am also going to learn French for 4 months from next month. I would be a basic French speaker who can easily survive in a French speaking world, but nothing more than that. What is your opinion on me getting a part time job in Paris? I can work for almost 20 hours a week.

It would be great to get an idea of costs from couple of months in advance.
thanks a lot :)

·
Administrator
51,951 Posts
I've moved this into a thread of its own to see if we can attract a bit more in the way of responses.

To some extent, your cost of living will depend on what sort of degree you're pursuing and what qualifications you have so far. Many programs of study require you to do one or several "stages" (internships) while you are a student, and that can interfere with your ability to take on a part time job. (Though sometimes you can manage to find a paid stage - and there are new laws designed to requirement payment for a stage of a certain length.)

Rentals depend on what your expectations are. Flats let as "student accommodation" can be real dumps and in Paris are laughably small. If you need and/or want something a bit roomier, you'll have to increase your budget accordingly. Take a look at the ads in FUSAC FUSAC - Petites annonces pour anglophones de Paris to get some idea of the types of flats available, including flat shares.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The degree that I am thinking includes a 4 months internship at the end of the course. so i need to find accommodation and job for 9 months at a stretch.

Secondly i think if the student accommodation are viable and reasonably cheaper than other options, I would overlook the size of them.

Also some of my friends told me that the cost of living in Paris is way too high than other cities in France. Is it true? If the cost of living in Lille, Nice or Bourgogne, is considerably lower than I can think of universities placed there. But would it be a very slower life in these cities? Would the night life and other entertainment be lesser in these cities?

And except the insurance and university, what is the average expenditure that student may occur monthly in Paris and the same in these other cities?

Cheers:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Indeed you can find a student job and then win almost 7€ for an hour.
Accomodation 500€ for a very little studio in paris
Transport is quite expensive, its depends where do you want to go but the price will be between 30 and 100€ for a month
Food maybe 60euro for a week
i hope you to have great time in paris!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.