Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bit on an unusual situation. I am married, but my husband is working in Iraq. I would not be able to sponsor him into UAE anyhow. I have been offered a job and have the opportunity to live in Dubai with my unmarried brother. Is this allowable? I understand "unmarried cohabitation" is illegal. How far does this stretch?

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Living with your brother isnt an issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it would be useful info for you guys to know which people you CAN cohabit with legally.

Essentially, you are allowed to live with a Mahram. You are not allowed to live with a non-Mahram. Keep in mind that this is under the assumption that the law does not have a problem with property-sharing (which they do have a problem with here, but I think is focused on villas being shared by 20-30 people kind of arrangement):

A woman's opposite-sex mahrams fall into four categories (three categories in the strict-sense definition that does not count one's spouse). Note that mahrams for a man can be derived in a similar manner.

Permanent or blood mahrams with whom one is mahram by a blood relationship:

- father, grandfather, great-grandfather and so on;
- brother;
- son, grandson, great-grandson;
- uncle, parents' uncle, grandparents' uncle and so on;
- nephew, grandnephew, great-grandnephew and so on;

In-law mahrams with whom one becomes mahram by marrying someone:

- father-in-law;
- son-in-law;
- stepfather (mother's husband) if their marriage is consummated;
- stepson (husband's son) if her marriage is consummated;

Rada or milk-suckling mahrams with whom you become mahram because of being nursed by the same woman. When a woman acts as a wetnurse (that is, she breast feeds an infant that is not her own child) for a certain amount of time under certain conditions, she becomes the child's rada mother and all said about blood mahrams applies here, like rada father/mother, rada sister/brother, rada aunt/uncle and so on. In English these can be referred to as milk brother, milk-mother, etc.

(Source: wiki)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.