Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All

It would be highly appriciated if someone could answer below queries regarding Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489).

I have ACS as Software Engineer and IELTS as W-6.5,R-8,S-7,L-7. And due to 0.5 miss on Writing I cannot get 60 marks. But my brother has a PR in Aus so I can apply for Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) visa with his 10 points.
1. If I could not find Full Time work for 12 months, can this visa be extended.
2. Are my spouse and kids allowed to apply for PR independently without me.
3. Can my wife apply for PR independently (if she grated 489 through me).
4.While in Austrailia if a child is born what visa will he/she be given.
5. Do i get benefits like Education and Medical
6. How easy to find a job there,
7. If 20hr/week work is coverd does it matter if its at a part time place.

I know there are lots of Questions , I found it difficult to find online. So any help will be highly appriciated.

Thanks in Advance

S

·
0 Posts
1, the visa can be extended once but you can also take mire than one job to make up to full time hours.

2, no your family can not apply independently. They are reliant on everyone, mainly you, meeting the requirements.

3, no unless she qualifies for 189 or 190 in her own right.

4, the same visa you have. Once you have PR any children born will be citizens.

5, no temp visa holders get no centrelink or medicare. Some states make you pay for school fir children and you are classed as international students for university fees.

6, depends on what you do and what you are willing to do. Only wanting specific jobs and rejecting all others will mean unemployment.

7, as mentioned you can do 2, 3 jobs or even be self employed to make up full time hours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chinthana11 Thanks a lot for the response.
I got a clear understanding on all points. But I guess I didnt ask the 3rd question correctly.

If my wife stays in a designated area for 4 years and if she could find a job which is equivalent to full time work for more than 1 year; can she apply for PR by herself.

Thanks
Nuwan dammika

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
_shel

Thanks for ur response, It clears my doubts

Cheers
Nuwan

S

·
0 Posts
to shel

how 489 can be extended if cant fulfil condition to eligible for PR?
You cant! I am recalling 475 rules opps. Now the 489 is 4yrs instead of 3 like the old provisional visa there is no extension.

Sorry about that.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Chinthana11 Thanks a lot for the response.
I got a clear understanding on all points. But I guess I didnt ask the 3rd question correctly.

If my wife stays in a designated area for 4 years and if she could find a job which is equivalent to full time work for more than 1 year; can she apply for PR by herself.

Thanks
Nuwan dammika
No you have to apply for a PR visa..if you do not qualify no one in your family qualifies. She is deoendant on you to remain here. Now if she can qualify in her own merits for a PR visa that is different but on shore visas are harder to get and she needs to fulfil all the qualification experience etc before she can apply. If your wife gets FT work all it means is that you have money coming into the family...it does not increase your PR chances.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just one more question,
1. given that the visa is granted; can my family stay in designated area with out me ?

S

·
0 Posts
No, you all must comply with the terms of the visa. If you are not living in regional Australia your visa is liable to be cancelled which cancels your families visas.

They have no path to apply to stay if you do not qualify or comply with your visa.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, you all must comply with the terms of the visa. If you are not living in regional Australia your visa is liable to be cancelled which cancels your families visas.

They have no path to apply to stay if you do not qualify or comply with your visa.

Hi _shel

My question is not about the path to PR, what I wanted to know is if I was granted 489 visa, can my family stay in Oz (within the conditions of 489) while i stay away from Oz. i.e. First first two years i stay away while my family stay in Oz, and for the last two years I join them.

Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
And the answer is still no. If DIBP or the state check up on you, which they do frequently, and find you are not using your visa it is liable for cancellation. Thus so are your families visas. Their visas are not stand alone, they are tied to yours. If you dont use it or comply with the terms you all lose them.

·
Registered
69 Posts

And the answer is still no. If DIBP or the state check up on you, which they do frequently, and find you are not using your visa it is liable for cancellation. Thus so are your families visas. Their visas are not stand alone, they are tied to yours. If you dont use it or comply with the terms you all lose them.

Hi _shel,

Is the same condition applicable for 190 PR visa as well.. I mean , in our case I am primary applicant , but post initial PR validation , I will be staying outside Oz for some time while my husband will continue stay and work . I will join him later after few months..can there be any issues with this ??

Please guide...

S

·
0 Posts
Hi _shel,

Is the same condition applicable for 190 PR visa as well.. I mean , in our case I am primary applicant , but post initial PR validation , I will be staying outside Oz for some time while my husband will continue stay and work . I will join him later after few months..can there be any issues with this ??

Please guide...
No because 190 is a PR visa, you can do as you wish.

489 is a provisional visa with strict conditions to be met.

·
Registered
69 Posts
No because 190 is a PR visa, you can do as you wish.

489 is a provisional visa with strict conditions to be met.
Thanks _shel....

regards
Manju

·
Registered
309 Posts
Dears, I need your opinion on an issue that I have. If me and my family were granted the 489 visa and we arrived..how can I invite my mother in law who is totally depends on my husband ? What will be the most shortest process to get her to SA with us?

S

·
0 Posts
You cant. She may qualify for a visa in her own right but as a provisional visa holder you can not sponsor her for a parent visa or long stay tourist visa.

She could apply for a standard tourist vusa but would only get 3 month visits with a no further stay. If she has no work back home she may even find it difficult to get that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You cant. She may qualify for a visa in her own right but as a provisional visa holder you can not sponsor her for a parent visa or long stay tourist visa.

She could apply for a standard tourist vusa but would only get 3 month visits with a no further stay. If she has no work back home she may even find it difficult to get that.
Oh god!

·
Registered
309 Posts
If she is dependent you should have added her to your application.
I already lodged. Included her as non migrating family member :(

·
Registered
309 Posts
I already lodged. Included her as non migrating family member :(
I actually was planning to apply for her a "489 visa subsequent entrant" but after am setteled in australia and we find jobs..home...etc

1 - 20 of 67 Posts