Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, am a srilankan, married a french national without getting certificate of capacity of marriage, and applied for the family book at french consulate last february in order to get visa. Unfortunately no hearing from them till now. Anyone please help to know how long will it take to get family book?

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
It depends to some extent on where your French national spouse was born. As part of the process, the mairie in the town where he or she was born must update the birth record to reflect the marriage, and then report that back to the consulate. Some smaller towns have limited staff (and opening hours) to accomplish the administrative paperwork.

Three months is not an unreasonable time to wait - and some folks go six months without a response from the consulate. But as long as the consulate accepted your application, it should be just a matter of waiting. (I'm really surprised that the expression "hurry up, and wait" isn't originally French.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bev!

But they didn't provide any receipt of documents as a proof for our file at embassy.could u please clarify , is that the usual procedure or anything we missed to get from embassy during our filing?
Tnx in advance :)

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
I don't think the consulates normally give you a receipt when you submit an application. This might differ a bit by location but generally they only give out a receipt if you are renewing something and will need the receipt to show that you put in your renewal before the original permit or document expires.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
57 Posts
One thing that worked for me, and it was at the suggestion of one of the clerks at the Consulate, is that when I needed to email another form to them - in my email I requested that they confirm receipt of the email as well as the attached document ..... And to my surprise, they did as well as noting that they were then processing my paperwork ...

So, my suggestion - even though this is after the fact, you might try to email them saying that because you haven't heard anything in 3 months that you'd just like to confirm that they have received your documents and is there anything else you need to provide to them so that your paperwork can be processed (making it sound like you're the one who didn't do it right and that if you need to do anything else you will) ....

Although I'm not yet entrenched in all things French, from reading this form for the last number of months I think that might work (or maybe not ....)

My .02 cents

1 - 6 of 6 Posts