Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been here for getting on 2 years and I've realised there is a massive lack of decent live bands playing in the region. I'm very interested to find out who and at which venue you'd want to see them play in Dubai.

I thought Faithless were brilliant at Nasimi Beach but Train at the Jazz Festival were the best band of the year for me so far!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
There are a number of reasons why this is.

One main one is the decline of revenue from pre-recorded music meaning gigs and festivals are one of the few ways a band can make money these days (that's not to say they all are). Anyway this has led to more controlling contracts and deals akin to old recording/publishing contracts on live gigs. It's now normal for a band to now be signed up to do a x amount of gigs, x amount of festival and nothing else is allowed. As the UAE is so isolated it's not going to be included on a touring bands itinery and at the same time they will be contractually prohibited from doing one offs in the region.

Also the red tape and bureaucracy here in putting on live music is a nightmare, it's particulary stiffling for young local bands where back in the UK, you'd get a back room of a pub, band got the door money and pub kept the bar.

Finally the cost of putting on a band is higher than putting on a trance DJ (for example) yet the venue will get the same if not more returns, but for less hassle. At the same time the general public in Dubai are just far too blase about things and if folk were honest just not bothered - only about 150 turned up to see NERD for example.

The only type of live acts that can break through the restrictions here are the old hats and the megagroups, which is why you have Stevie Wonder or Guns at Yas Island and then (almost) nothing but covers bands.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been here for getting on 2 years and I've realised there is a massive lack of decent live bands playing in the region. I'm very interested to find out who and at which venue you'd want to see them play in Dubai.

I thought Faithless were brilliant at Nasimi Beach but Train at the Jazz Festival were the best band of the year for me so far!
A few years earlier they had so much happening in Dubai. Desert Rock Festival seems to be history now. Now the action seems to have shifted to Abu Dhabi for a while although there isn't much happening. The recession seems to have had an impact.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
There hasn't been much happening in Abu Dhabi because of the heat. I'm sure we'll see some more big names between October and April.

Metallica are rumoured to be playing the UAE in October (they've got a date in India at the end of the month) but it wouldn't surprise me if they were one of the 3 bands headlining the Abu Dhabi GP concerts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.