Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and sorry if this question has been asked before.

Is there such a thing as a published list of a shortage of skills that the US Govt say are needed in the country?

I'm based in the UK and work in the media with a background in radio and tv and would like to know if I can tailor my skills to suit the requirements?

Thanks

Phil

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
You conflate US immigration with that of other popular English-speaking destinations. Like most things American, it's pretty unique.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Is there such a thing as a published list of a shortage of skills that the US Govt say are needed in the country?

I'm based in the UK and work in the media with a background in radio and tv and would like to know if I can tailor my skills to suit the requirements?

Thanks

Phil
No, there isn't. There is a visa category for those with specialized, highly-sought after skills, but those visas are employer-sponsored (think computer chip engineer working for Intel). The US doesn't otherwise keep a list of skills shortages - we typically don't have a shortage of any skill set. Working in media certainly wouldn't be one of them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pity. I've been wondering the same thing. I'm 18 and am not set on any career yet. I was wondering what would be my best bet of going to the us after I've qualified. The shortage list would be useful ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts

Thanks

Phil
Hi Phil - have you had a chance to look at the other postings here. There was one in March from another UK guy going out to the US for media work. I can't remember the exact details, but I think he had a media visa, is that something you've looked into. Here's some info Foreign Media, Press and Radio

I can't remember his name, but it may be worth having a quick look through the posts to see that thread as he may have some more specific info for you.

Cheers
Gillian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts