Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I would like to start a bar/restaurant business in Dubai.
Which kind of company do I need to do that and how to obtain a liquor license for selling liquor to guests.

·
Registered
845 Posts
i believe the only places in dubai that may obtain a liquor license are hotels and some sports clubs [golf, sailing, etc.]

·
Registered
387 Posts
A liquor licence starts at AED1m. There is only one pub not connected to a hotel: Fibbers. Fibber Magee's Dubai
McGettigans in DIFC? Stables? Bidi Bondi etc on palm (could be argued these form part of a larger resort, but you don't have to go through a hotel)? What about 7's stadium, not a hotel but they serve vast amounts of alchol. Then there's Irish Village which is officially aviation/tennis stadium rule....

It is vastly more complicated than you are making out.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
True, it does seem to be more complicated. But the starting price of AED 1 Mill is accurate.

P.S: The 1 mill bit is emirate wide from what I understand, we (employer) recently added an establishment to our portfolio in RAK...

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Also the Jebel Ali Club is not connected to a hotel - BUT many of these are old expat handouts, that were given special permission by the Sheikhs back in the day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For 1M I could build a small hotel and get license for free... :D
No way... Does someone knows what is the penalty for serving liquor without license?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Penalty? Start watching Banged up Abroad and see where you can improve your acting skills when it comes to your turn - however you will have plenty of time to rehearse it during your time in the desert, with no AC where the cell ceiling is actually a lens...! If that doesn't put you off, get a copy of Papillon with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman (a true story I might add). The 5 years in solitary in complete silence is always a good one for focussing the mind..especially when 6 months of it is in full darkness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Penalty? Start watching Banged up Abroad and see where you can improve your acting skills when it comes to your turn - however you will have plenty of time to rehearse it during your time in the desert, with no AC where the cell ceiling is actually a lens...! If that doesn't put you off, get a copy of Papillon with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman (a true story I might add). The 5 years in solitary in complete silence is always a good one for focussing the mind..especially when 6 months of it is in full darkness.
nice "correction facilities" they have down here :)
Than I better look for something else, this alcohol thing is not the way to go for me in this country...

·
Registered
232 Posts
McGettigans in DIFC? Stables? Bidi Bondi etc on palm (could be argued these form part of a larger resort, but you don't have to go through a hotel)?
Stables and Fibbers share a licence as they're the same building.

If one lost it, the other would.

That said, I think The Stables will close, whilst Fibbers will out-last us all and be there for hundreds of years :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts