Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy is it to obtain a liquor license in Abu Dhabi? how long does it take to get one? and how much alcohol can you purchase per week/month?

·
Registered
858 Posts
for Ab Dhab you apply online. Can't find the web address but the applications are handled by the special licence authority or something like that. Google will find it.

As a Brit it will be easy enough (unless your name is Mohammed etc)

You need an NOC from your employer and a salary certificate or bank statements to prove your income. Passport, visa and ID card copies too.

I've had 2 licences since this online system came in and both were rejected numerous times for inexplicable reasons. It's impossible to speak to anyone at the special licences office so you just have to be patient and keep reapplying until they get bored pressing the "reject" button. It is completely hit and miss as to how many times you apply.

It's worth getting a professional passport photo taken and burned into a disc as poor photos seem to result in quick rejections. One friend I know used her mate's professional photo for the application and even though they look completely different the application sailed through and a licence was issued with the wrong photo...

Also watch that if you attach bank statements they are the type posted to you and not Internet banking ones (which will be rejected even if you go into the bank and they print them on headed paper and stamp them..) If attaching a salary certificate make sure it's in Arabic. The website doesn't say it has to be in Arabic but they reject applications with English salary certificates...

I think most people get something like AED 5k /mth and in AD there is no 30% alcohol tax added at the check out :)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I've never needed a license when buying at African Eastern in Mussafa, do other places actually bother with the ID?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Yes some do. The Spinneys one in khalidiyah is next to the police station and always asks.

And it's the same old about the risks of not having a licence are pretty grim really......

I forgot to say alcohol licences are about the only thing you (currently) get for free from the govt in AD :)

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
the website is www.auhsl.ae

As JJ says, you HAVE to follow each and every specification about the documents they ask you to upload. My application got rejected once as the photo did not have the required pixel size, but otherwise it was seamless. In the city, there are a few places which dont ask for licenses (and dont give you a receipt)

·
Registered
218 Posts
The salary letter has to be addressed to the alcohole licencing department as well, you can not just use the one you get to open bank accounts that most employers issue when you arrive.

·
Registered
423 Posts
How easy is it to obtain a liquor license in Abu Dhabi? how long does it take to get one? and how much alcohol can you purchase per week/month?
the process can be done online now, or go to a liquor shop for the application and they can do it for you in some cases, if you provide all the paperwork and apply on line, with no hiccups, sometimes it doesnt work because of arabic sounding surnames etc then fairly quick. its done on your salary so there is a minimum allowance per month, even if you dont use it. we have one as its a must for any sort of drinking here even in your own home or in hotels but havent used it in years. but you need the piece of paper just in case.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes some do. The Spinneys one in khalidiyah is next to the police station and always asks.

And it's the same old about the risks of not having a licence are pretty grim really......

I forgot to say alcohol licences are about the only thing you (currently) get for free from the govt in AD :)
are they free now its done online, it never used to be!

·
Registered
423 Posts
You need a no objection from your employer, and you can not be registered as a Muslim under your residency visa.
or have an arabic sounding name. you need proof.

we have never had vouchers back from any of the shops in all the years we have been having one.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
The salary letter has to be addressed to the alcohole licencing department as well, you can not just use the one you get to open bank accounts that most employers issue when you arrive.
I got one which was addressed to "to whom it may concern". Employer didnt want to address it to the licensing authority (or at least the HR lady didnt want to)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I got one which was addressed to "to whom it may concern". Employer didnt want to address it to the licensing authority (or at least the HR lady didnt want to)
sometimes it has to be correctly addressed ie to the licensing authority but it depends on what its for etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
NOC From Dubai Police

Has anyone had any experience of how to obtain an NOC from Dubai Police stating that they do not hold a Dubai License, I have been asked to obtain this for my Abu Dhabi License?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts