Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. i need help. i have been living in the uk with limited to remain visa and is valid until 4th april 2014. i wanted to apply for citizenship but upon reading one of the guidelines, it says one can only apply for citizenship if you have an indefinite leave to remain visa. i dont know what to do. does this mean i cant apply for citizenship at all?

G

·
Not unless you qualify, apply and are granted indefinite leave to remain unless you think you might qualify for citizenship another way?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply. you mean i need to apply for indefinite to leave to remain visa first before applying for citizenship? my husband is british and im asian. would that be enough reason to pursue citizenship application?

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
Also you must have lived in UK for 3 years before you can apply for citizenship, so depending on when you are eligible for ILR and how long you have lived in UK (including under previous visa but not any time spent as visitor), you may have to wait before going for naturalisation. There is limit to how long you can be away from UK during the qualifying period - 270 days in total for 3 years and 90 days in the last 12 months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.