Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any expats in the Pyrgos and surrounding area of Limassol with young children? We live in the village of Pyrgos, 5 minutes from St Raphael beach. We have a 3 year old little boy and we would love to find him some friends of the same age to play with. Maybe to meet up for days at the beach or playdates round the pool (once the weather gets hot)

·
Registered
1 Posts
We plan to move to paphos area in September 2012, holiday villa for a month, then find a more perm accomadation.
Any hints and tips would be gladly received.
Any meeting dates etc would also pleased to receive
Regards
Andy Measham

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My advice would be to spend carefully, many things here are more expensive than the UK but then many others are cheaper. Don't make the mistake of coming and living like you are on holiday.

Do you have a job or are you looking when you get here...much better if you have a job already. Get a hire car for a few weeks until you can find one to buy, if you are coming in September you should be able to get a little car for £50 a week from Travelsupermarket.

If you are working it can be hard to find time to search for permanent accommodation and a car so make sure you give yourselves time enough in your villa to find somewhere else. I rented a 3 bed apartment in Mandria for 3 months while I found a reasonably priced place in Limassol near my work.

Good luck with the move

·
Registered
39 Posts
?

My advice would be to spend carefully, many things here are more expensive than the UK but then many others are cheaper. Don't make the mistake of coming and living like you are on holiday.

Do you have a job or are you looking when you get here...much better if you have a job already. Get a hire car for a few weeks until you can find one to buy, if you are coming in September you should be able to get a little car for £50 a week from Travelsupermarket.

If you are working it can be hard to find time to search for permanent accommodation and a car so make sure you give yourselves time enough in your villa to find somewhere else. I rented a 3 bed apartment in Mandria for 3 months while I found a reasonably priced place in Limassol near my work.

Good luck with the move
Are you living in the Pyrgos near Paphos or the one near Limassol..? Just curious.. hope you don't mind my asking..

BTW Very good advice - simple clear and calm :focus:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi ..

We just had a look at the map you sent and we are chuckling to ourselves...

Are you in the house at the back of what used to be the butchers - it was or still is owned by a chap called Andreas?

Him and his brother Takis go into Marias coffee shop most evenings and Takis has to leave before 7pm to get his tea!!

How do you like living in Pyrgos then?

Small world eh? :clap2:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeh Pyrgos is nice, a little quiet but it is only 10 minutes from Limassol. There only seems to be 2 shops in the whole village, if ever there was a place ripe for some bars and cafes then Pyrgos is it.

I think the google map went a little wrong, the pin on there isnt where we live, it's the generic pin for Pyrgos. We are in a complex of around 20 apartments with a shared pool here (pray this works this time)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Gotcha = we watched them build it! It belongs to Panicos.. You are just down the road from our house - we're not there at the moment but opposite the church car park. There are 3 bars already - how many does a guy want.. there is another supermarket just on the edge of the village it opened a couple of years ago but hey Orphanides and Carre Four are not too far away. Are you renting or have you bought as he was doing both there..Have you been into Maria's on the corner of the crossroads. Nice people and good food there too.

Stay Happy..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have only seen the Bakery and the supermarket behind the Church so far, I think I need to do a little more exploring but in my defense I have only been there a week!

No, we are renting, we have been in country for 3 months having previously rented in Mandria near Paphos Airport but the drive was too much every day. The company I work for is at Germasoyeia roundabout so I am 15 minutes from work now.

Not seen Maria's yet, I always seem to find places when I'm lost and unable to find my way back there. I will make it my mission to find these bars over the next couple of weeks.

So are you back in the UK now? Do you not live permanently in Cyprus?

·
Registered
39 Posts
You are in an ideal spot especially with young children and close enough for your work. Maria's is straight down the road past the Supermarket over the small crossroads and down the hill. at that junction on the right hand side corner is Maria's - apparently there is now a boat in the garden opposite as a summer bar! It's a taverna and does food as well as takeaway. sk for Maria and say Hello and hope to be over soon ish. Just take a stroll down one evening and have a coffee or a beer and see what you think. When you have checked it out turn left at the same junction and you will see two more bars on the next corner - and the Barbers. By the way there is a bank in the village with an ATM which is very useful. We used to be there permanently but are now back in the UK. Our house is opposite the Church - just a small place with the high wall and the big double gates. It may be rented out shortly for a couple of months - if we come over soon perhaps we can all meet for a rattle?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where about's in the UK are you?

That would be really good to meet up. It seems there is more to this little village that I thought, we'll have to go for a stroll this weekend.

Thanks again for the info, give me a shout when you are over and we can meet up

Clive

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds good.. if you like football ask in Maria's about the Paraklesia football - quite a few Brits go their on Saturdays to support the team. You will be suprised as the village is much bigger and spread out than you realise.. Easter is also a biggie there and everyone goes to the Church - even the non religious like us - it is just very welcoming and there is a parade and stuff - you will discover more as you mix.

You can always pop in the Council offices and ask about the events in the village park which are all free. The Muktar (Mayor) whose name is Nakis is also quite friendly and speaks English. The offices are just on the corner of your road opposite the Park. If you decide you want to rent a house instead of an apartment later let me know..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just thought - When you pop in Maria's if it is about 6pm ask who TAKIS is.. he usually sits by the window. Go and introduce yourself and say you have a message for him - tell him Michael & Amrit said Hello and we hope to be over soon!! He does speak English and is a friendly helpful man.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have to say, I think I am in the minority of Brits...not a big football fan to be honest, playing with my little boy is my main passion and one of the key reasons for us coming to Cyprus.

Yes, we definitely have to mix more, it's just so hard when you are at work all day. I guess the cafes and bars are the place to do that.

Yes I saw the council offices, is there a post office nearby? Where do people buy stamps around here? I saw a post box outside the Council Office but not much use if you have no stamps. :D

We do want to move to a house eventually but my company has plans to move to Nicosia, not sure when (neither are they at the moment) so will most likely be in that neck of the woods or maybe even over on the Turkish side (rentals seem to be cheaper over there). Nicosia is only 30 minutes from the North Coast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello!!!!

Hi CliveO, i'm from Pyrgos, i have a daughter name brianne she is 4, half english and Pilipino, Just let me know if you want to meet up, just send me a message cheers! :) we are looking forward to hear from u,,,,,,;) God Bless!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well Nicosia is The place to be in terms of work and Government seat of power I guess.. the post boxes are all private ones - I think you can rent one but can't remember if it is through the Council or the Post Office. You might be able to buy stamps in the Supermarket - ask next time you are in there. If not if you drive down to the Sea front and turn right heading for the town go past the San Raphael Hotel and I think it is called the Four Seasons Hotel and then soon after on your left there is a group of shops set up a few steps and more or less opposite is the Post Office on your right. Most of the souvenier shops will also sell stamps too.. Love to hear about people who love their kids too. That's how it should be.. these years will soon go so make the most of them and stay happy..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That sounds great Brianne, I am just a little preoccupied with sourcing a car (renting at the moment) but as soon as everything settles down we'll have to have a day at the beach. My misses we be happy for the company, I think she's getting a little stir crazy being stuck at home every day.

We'll speak soon
Clive

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really need to get some stamps, with supermarkets, directions to a post office and souvenir shops at least I have a few options to try there.

We tried last night to find Maria's but with no luck. It was dark so we might try over the weekend whilst it's still light.

Yeh, my little boy loves it here, ever since we arrived, I never heard him laugh so much. I just need him to mix with other kids a bit now...my misses wants him to have a brother or sister so I'm against the clock to find him some little friends now! :eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I really need to get some stamps, with supermarkets, directions to a post office and souvenir shops at least I have a few options to try there.

We tried last night to find Maria's but with no luck. It was dark so we might try over the weekend whilst it's still light.

Yeh, my little boy loves it here, ever since we arrived, I never heard him laugh so much. I just need him to mix with other kids a bit now...my misses wants him to have a brother or sister so I'm against the clock to find him some little friends now! :eek:
Being a female I can understand that - I only have one daughter and it is fine?

But .. well she is 40 now and I am not going there now hahaha!!

However it is good for little ones to have another on their side when trying to cajole Mum and Dad. So pleased he is a happy chappie and I can understand how your wife feels as you are at work as well - but it will get easier as you sort your transport and stuff out.. just a time thing.. roll on the beach picnics in the sun.. :clap2:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts