Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm trying to fix a relatively heavy ceiling light into a ceiling rose. Previously there had been a small spotlight.

The instructions show the fitting hanging from a hook.

Does this hook need to go through into a support such as a beam or metal bar? The instructions are poor and I do not want the ceiling to collapse.

Any advice is appreciated.

Ian

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Hello,

I'm trying to fix a relatively heavy ceiling light into a ceiling rose. Previously there had been a small spotlight.

The instructions show the fitting hanging from a hook.

Does this hook need to go through into a support such as a beam or metal bar? The instructions are poor and I do not want the ceiling to collapse.

Any advice is appreciated.

Ian
Well that depends on what your ceiling is made of. In our house the floors (and thus celings) are solid concrete so a strong hook can be screwed into the ceiling fairly easily. In fact, most of the light fittings are hung from a hook which is partly a bolt (not a screw) threaded into a large rubber and metal plug - tightening the hook expands the rubber plug. Those are readily available at the hardware stores.

Cheers

·
Administrator
51,953 Posts
Well that depends on what your ceiling is made of. In our house the floors (and thus celings) are solid concrete so a strong hook can be screwed into the ceiling fairly easily. In fact, most of the light fittings are hung from a hook which is partly a bolt (not a screw) threaded into a large rubber and metal plug - tightening the hook expands the rubber plug. Those are readily available at the hardware stores.

Cheers
In Germany those things are called dubles... just asked DH and he says they're called "chevilles" here in France. They come in all sizes - here's Leroy Merlin's page on the things: Chevilles et kits de fixation facile - Fixation technique | Leroy Merlin
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.