Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Life Scientists ANZSCO 2345** gather here

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Hamana 
#1 ·
In the latest combined skilled occupation list published on 11 March 2019, Life scientist and related occupations are now eligible for Skilled independent 189 and nomination based 190/489 visa.

This is good news for all the biologists and researchers out there who want to apply for PR.

Lets gather here and share your experiences or suggestions on skills assessment (VETASSESS) and EOI submission.

#2 ·
Hi guys,

Today I got my positive skill assessment back and it took only 5 business days via priority service!
I will try PTE to boost my English score.

Please find below my details.

#3 ·
Wow that was fast!

All the best with +10 from the PTE :)

Reactions: JennyWang
#11 ·
Hi Masterbigpang,

My agent told me to wait for at least 6 months given the current trend and expect to wait for 12 months if liberal remains and the number cut is taken place. That is why I need to boost my English score.

What is your score?

cheers,

#15 ·
Hi guys

Needing some advice/opinions/whatever here please :)

I'm a Life Scientist (Biotechnology - 2345154). Everything done - skills assessment, PTE etc. EOI lodged (DOE Nov 19). But DOE going to change to Jan soon as my husband is awaiting his ACS assessment result from them (Software Developer - 261312). So my DOE is going to be super recent unfortunately. I also get more points than my husband which is why I'm the primary applicant but will look at options for him once we get the ACS certificate.

So overall in Jan I will have 85 points for a 189. And can't really see a way to get more. I could do my PhD as an option, and may, but since I'm 36 I will lose 5 points in a few years anyway so can't see me getting 90 at an rate. My family have PR/are citizens but don't live in a regional area (Brisbane).

After looking at the horrifying Dec 11 ITA's, is there any hope for non pro-Rata people with 85 points? Do we give up on this hope and try something else? :/

And then for 190 to confirm our options are:
ACT (but need a job contract for a year)
NSW (feasible right but will they offer?)
South Australia (need high points and I'd have 90).

Should I pursue a 491? have 3 young kids...
Options:
NSW
South Australia (have high points now)

From all looks of it Life Scientist applicants are a very small number? So is that to our advantage or not? So far very few ITA's for them have been issued for 2019-2020. But for Pro-rata occupations do they just take the top points applicants regardless of profession and then start going lower. I would have thought that 85 points is decent and I have a skilled spouse, but in this day and age who knows!

#17 ·
Hi all, I have a degree in Biomedical Science and have been working in a protein purification lab for close to 2 years (In April 2023). I am debating whether to get my current job assessed as the biotechnologist occupation (ANZSCO 234514) as my current job does not do any research work and does not study proteins of interest, but I help other research labs and industry partners to purify their proteins of interest under my lab manager's supervision. Please advise, thank you!

#18 ·
I am Dr. Saba Faraz, MSc in biotechnology and Ph.D in Human Genetics and Molecular Medicine. I would like to apply for Australian PR. I am confused in choosing an occupation for the VETASSES skill assessment. I have all experience in molecular diagnostic and genomics labs along with publishing all work in peer-reviewed journals. Kindly suggest choosing the correct occupation and having more chances of getting a positive skill assessment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.