Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

Im moved recently ( 1 month ago) to lyon (villeurbanne) with my husband. And I have to admit im starting to feel a bit lonely here. I was wondering if there is anyone who wants to meet like in the evening in a pub to talk a bit of their experiences and what its like to live in france, how easyily you find a job etc.
Well if anyone is interested please do not hesitate to contact me, we could meet like with a group of people.

greets
Rim
Hi there, saw your post and thought that I would reply although we are not, as yet, living in France. We are, however, thinking of moving there next year and have an exploratory trip planned for May where we intend to spend a week or so in Lyon and another week in Bordeaux. It would be great to hear how you are making out and adjusting to life in France and what your opinions and experiences are in Lyon itself! Are you renting an apartment or a house? Is where you live part of the city or on the outskirts? Do you find the people friendly? Does anybody there speak English or do you have to be comfortable in French? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Michael & Alisen Rocharde

·
Registered
136 Posts
It would be great to hear how you are making out and adjusting to life in France and what your opinions and experiences are in Lyon itself! Are you renting an apartment or a house? Is where you live part of the city or on the outskirts? Do you find the people friendly? Does anybody there speak English or do you have to be comfortable in French? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
I've been living here for about a year, so I thought I'd give you my answers and we can see if the others see things the same way i do :)

Lyon is actually not a very big city, just a few kilometers from the city center can put you in a suburb, and the public transportation serves some suburbs better than others, so depending on what your transportation needs are, you definitely want to be aware of that. Every one I know who lives outside the city has a car, pretty much everyone i know in the city does not have one. There is a pretty good train service to centers of the outlying towns.

There are not very many houses in Lyon itself, and the few that are here are pretty expensive, so if you are in the city you will most likely be in a flat. I've heard that Lyon is the second most expensive city in France (after Paris of course) for renting, but as it is the only city I have ever lived in here, I can only compare it to my home in Seattle, WA and say prices are about the same. Like all cities, the further out you go the cheaper things get.

The pace of life is a bit different here than in the states. Most shops close early and are not open on Sundays, and there further out from the city center you get, the more so. If you are hungry on a Sunday afternoon and have an empty fridge, your only options are McDonald's, Subway, or head to the touristy center of town where most stuff stays open. If you want a quite life, this may appeal to you, if you like to wonder around and shop or mingle with people on Sundays, then this may drive you crazy if you live too far out.

Number of English speakers seems to also be proportional to distance from the center of town. My apartment agency only has one person that speaks any English, and she is rarely available. My cable/internet company has nobody (most of their tech support team is in Morocco), and it took me quite some time to find a doctor that speaks English well (and I live in the city). For most things though, you just make do with your French however bad it may be (and God knows mine is not very good). People are generally patient and helpful, especially those trying to sell you something :) The key is to just speak. I think most French people speak English better than they think they do, so sometimes after struggling with my bad french, they throw out a few english words, and we come to an understanding.

To be honest though, I think you will struggle a bit with signing up for services, signing contracts, etc. without a decent level of french, or a friend to help you.

I think French people are generally friendly. Maybe not as initially open as Americans tend to be, but certainly not unfriendly. Language differences can present a challenge though if you do not share proficiency in at least one language, but of course that gives you more incentive, and opportunity, to learn the language.

·
Administrator
49,387 Posts
Hope no one minds, but I've moved these posts off to a thread of their own.

MichaelS, thank you for an excellent summary of life in Lyon. That things are closed on Sundays is one of those things you have to get used to living in France - but there are some moves to allow more stores to be open on Sundays. (Being challenged, as always, by the folks who fear having to work on Sundays.) Bakeries are generally open in the mornings on Sundays, and if you've got a Sunday morning market (marché - the open air kind) near you, it's normally the best day to stock up on food items for the rest of the week.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.