Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
21 year old professional soon to moving over to work for a highly regarded real estate company.

I am aware that sex before marriage is illegal as is holding hands with a female or living under the same roof as one who is not your wife or relative.

being English I am also aware of many tourists and expats who have fallen on the wrong side of these laws, many of which were bound to happen such as the couple caught having alcohol fuelled sex on a public beach.

however what I would like to ask is, is it a case that if you are an expat in Dubai must you live a life of celibacy with little or no female contact? if you are discreet is it tolerated?

I don't plan to come over and be a typical brit and get incredibly drunk and have sex in public and then rub it in the face of arab.

what about if you are in a relationship (not marriage) is this tolerated at all, I suppose not as I am aware that cohabitation is illegal.

what is life really like for a young expat, if I come over does it mean that I can under no circumstances get into a relationship with a female sexual or not? will I really be prosecuted for coming into physical contact with a woman such as holding hands or merely hugging? do all expats abide by these rules if so how?! and how big a risk is it if you do engage in sexual relations with a woman? are people caught out easily? is there a blind eye turned toward people who are respectful, private, in a relationship and discreet? would be grateful if someone could share there experiences.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also what about dating? for example is it acceptable to have a drink at a bar with a girl or go to a nice restaurant and have a meal together, or could I risk prosecution for this as well?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You're in for a nasty (or pleasant, depending on how you view it) shock once you get to Dubai.

I'd be more worried about working for this real estate company. Unless you're talking about a property developer like Emaar none of then have a great reputation. Please tell me you're not on a commission only offer.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
You're in for a nasty (or pleasant, depending on how you view it) shock once you get to Dubai. I'd be more worried about working for this real estate company. Unless you're talking about a property developer like Emaar none of then have a great reputation. Please tell me you're not on a commission only offer.
Are there any 'highly regarded' real estate companies here?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Tom,

I would love yo know who you have been speaking to or where you read all your information from.

Dubai is very westernised, not really anything like you think as long as you respect the locals and country you are in and you'll be fine.

Craig

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Hi Tom, I would love yo know who you have been speaking to or where you read all your information from. Dubai is very westernised, not really anything like you think as long as you respect the locals and country you are in and you'll be fine. Craig
I really am beginning to feel we have a troll here from the nature of his posts.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hi Tom, I would love yo know who you have been speaking to or where you read all your information from. Dubai is very westernised, not really anything like you think as long as you respect the locals and country you are in and you'll be fine. Craig
The Daily Mail I expect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're in for a nasty (or pleasant, depending on how you view it) shock once you get to Dubai.

I'd be more worried about working for this real estate company. Unless you're talking about a property developer like Emaar none of then have a great reputation. Please tell me you're not on a commission only offer.
how do you mean?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are there any 'highly regarded' real estate companies here?
well being part of the top 5 in the uae i would have thought so yes, why what are your experiences with real estate companies? to be honest estate agents in the uk have a bad reputation but this is all based on hear say and stereotypical views, didnt think dubai would be the same but hay ho

·
Registered
71 Posts
its all about bein respectful to their culture and not being over the top.
I know lots of people who are living with partners and not married, lots of one night stands etc ~ just keep out of the public eye

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
well being part of the top 5 in the uae i would have thought so yes, why what are your experiences with real estate companies? to be honest estate agents in the uk have a bad reputation but this is all based on hear say and stereotypical views, didnt think dubai would be the same but hay ho
British estate agents have a halo and angels wings compared to the clowns out here!!

Top 5? Top 5 what?
Doesn't mean they're any more honest!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
:focus:

Just wait until you get here. I can't wait for your first trip to Barasti on a Thursday/Friday night.

Reactions: FlexRay

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
and what do you base that on exactly?
I've bought 4 properties in the UK over the years, and am involved in managing and renting 15 there.
I've met good, bad, and decidedly dishonest agents in the UK.

The utter shambles and sh!tfight involved in renting a property here has to be seen to be believed.
There are PLENTY of threads about this on here.
Those with good things to say about the 2 or 3 minutes of work the average agent does in earning his 5% are very much in the minority.

I spoke to about 8 different agents from 5 companies when I was looking.
Only one spoke any sense, and did what they are actually supposed to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've bought 4 properties in the UK over the years, and am involved in managing and renting 15 there.
I've met good, bad, and decidedly dishonest agents in the UK.

The utter shambles and sh!tfight involved in renting a property here has to be seen to be believed.
There are PLENTY of threads about this on here.
Those with good things to say about the 2 or 3 minutes of work the average agent does in earning his 5% are very much in the minority.

I spoke to about 8 different agents from 5 companies when I was looking.
Only one spoke any sense, and did what they are actually supposed to.
well that's more or less what people have to say about estate agents over here, the fact is theres good and bad agents wherever you go, unfortunately buying/selling/renting is a stressful process and theres a lot that can go wrong, us agents just tend to take the brunt of it

·
Registered
479 Posts
do you mind elaborating slightly?
Google Barasti which will elaborate.....

To be honest, if you're after a life similar in UK that a young guy may get up to with the ladies then you would be best to be prepared for a different lifestyle here that us not as open or tolerated. While people may tell you it is westernised in Dubai and to 'play safe' that is not necessarily helpful or sound advice. Yes you will read stories and it is a country that we are living in with laws that truly don't warrant being crossed or flaunted.:lock1:

Best of luck with your new prospects but do expect people's opinions of real estate agents to be low here as the system is worse than the UK - don't be fooled by the glitz and glamour!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts