Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

There seems to be a fair amount of members on this forum who have shared some fabulous helpful information on moving to Melbourne and Sydney...
We have received our Visa grant for PR in Canberra and wanted to connect with forum members who are either moving there or who are already in Canberra..
Just a new thread where we can share Canberra specific info, connections and any way in which we can use this awesome expatforum to help each other

Cheers
S

·
Registered
5 Posts
I moved to Canberra on February this year. Life in Canberra sis slow and easy unlike Sydney or Melbourne.

Weather - Probably the Canberra has the coldest winter weather in all Australia, in some days at night it can go down to -6. In summer it goes up around 30.

Cost of Living - I have never lived in Sydney or Melbourne so I cannot compare the cost of living with those cities. But people say things are expensive in Canberra compared to Melbourne.

Jobs - Private sector jobs are minimum in Canberra, but there are public sector jobs. But for most of those jobs are for Aus citizens. Many migrants in ACT do part time jobs.

Canberra is not much happening city , but if you have a job and if you have a family with kids Canberra is great city for raise your kids as I see up to now.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I studied at the ANU in Canberra. I kind like it there. Very quiet at most of the places most of the time.
Climate is cold, but I like it. Life is simply simple there.
Cost of living, I reckon, is higher than both Sydney and Melbourne. Eating out and rent are more expensive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I Got my PR Visa Granted on 12 Aug 2013 and its for ACT. I was thrilled and ecstatic when i saw the mail for a day. Now the apprehension is starting to set in, as all i know right now, is that its going to be a major change to me, my 3yr kid and husband and the job prospect is not good.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dear All,

There seems to be a fair amount of members on this forum who have shared some fabulous helpful information on moving to Melbourne and Sydney...
We have received our Visa grant for PR in Canberra and wanted to connect with forum members who are either moving there or who are already in Canberra..
Just a new thread where we can share Canberra specific info, connections and any way in which we can use this awesome expatforum to help each other

Cheers
S
Hi SandhyaOz, have you migrated to Canberra yet? if not, then when do u plan to make the move? if yes, then how do u find it so far?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am planning to apply for SS of ACT, Initially thought of SA, but then ACT being capital has more opportunities than SA... do u think its a good move or SA -Adelaide is better?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am planning to apply for SS of ACT, Initially thought of SA, but then ACT being capital has more opportunities than SA... do u think its a good move or SA -Adelaide is better?
Hi, IMO, i would recommend that you search the occupations and options in all the states in Australia, before finalizing.
i am sure the looking-for-work situation would be same in any state.
However, most of the jobs in ACT asks for Citizenship or Security Clearance.
Having said that, i would suggest that you check the job market between SA and ACT to enable you to make the choice.

Seniors, please feel free to correct me if i am wrong. ;)

Reactions: raoshri

·
Registered
84 Posts
People migrating to Canberra, Please post your experience. I have yet to see a post from someone who has moved to ACT.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Accommodation details - ACT (Canberra) Sept'13

Mates,

Have been following this forum for a while now and I really feel indebted with all the help/information this provides.
As I have seen quite a few threads on accommodation for Sydney/perth, so thought to ask if any one can share some update regarding the ground reality.i.e.

- How expensive is the rented accommodation?
- What are the key areas one should look? knowing that CBD will be expensive.
- Does it make sense to look for flats/apartments or even a house/unit is good? any issues of safety?
- Getting used equipments/white goods - is it quite common to get them?

I have found a good site for this though Rental Properties, Homes for Rent | allhomes
but feel any personal advice/experience is good.

We are two planning to move by end of 2013 or beginning of 2014??

Cheers

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sandhya,

Nice thought and good initiative to start of this thread.. This will be helpfull for upcoming migrants.

Reactions: oorvee

·
Registered
132 Posts
Any one in canberra.. who can help

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you're able to get an apartment in a new construction in the CBD it might be worth it, but otherwise CBD has old constructions, and you'll be paying through your nose for the energy bills!

Look at Belconnen, Gungahlin or Queanbeyan. These are good areas with access to hospitals, health clubs, malls and Indian stores. I currently stay in the CBD, but am planning to move to one of these areas once my current lease gets over!

A one bed room apartment in Belconnen would be around 350 a week. Gungahlin is marginally cheaper. Not sure about Queanbeyan.

You guys can rent from sites like Mr. Rental, though if you're coming here for good, think of buying.

Safety is not an issue in the ACT, though recently some thefts have been reported in Belconnen... nothing major though.

Hope that helps!
Sonal

Reactions: SDS

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you're able to get an apartment in a new construction in the CBD it might be worth it, but otherwise CBD has old constructions, and you'll be paying through your nose for the energy bills!

Look at Belconnen, Gungahlin or Queanbeyan. These are good areas with access to hospitals, health clubs, malls and Indian stores. I currently stay in the CBD, but am planning to move to one of these areas once my current lease gets over!

A one bed room apartment in Belconnen would be around 350 a week. Gungahlin is marginally cheaper. Not sure about Queanbeyan.

You guys can rent from sites like Mr. Rental, though if you're coming here for good, think of buying.

Safety is not an issue in the ACT, though recently some thefts have been reported in Belconnen... nothing major though.

Hope that helps!
Sonal
Thanks Sonal, for sharing the details.
Please can we request if you can list down your experience in Canberra with respect to stay? it will help all fellow members of this forum.

Since when you are living in Canberra? How expensive are the groceries? and other spends?
Have you moved alone? or with family, where you stayed initially?

·
Registered
132 Posts
bhanu, did u get your grant ?
Not yet, just entered 4th week post lodging evisa.
Thought of starting this thread on canberra accomodation, as there is very less information in this forum..

I think we will be getting update on CO quite close as I can see your lodging date is just a day later than me!

Cheers

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks Sonal, for sharing the details.
Please can we request if you can list down your experience in Canberra with respect to stay? it will help all fellow members of this forum.

Since when you are living in Canberra? How expensive are the groceries? and other spends?
Have you moved alone? or with family, where you stayed initially?
I would also love to hear the above questions from Bhanu..

ThankYOU

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been here since May this year. I'm in Canberra alone; initially I was staying in a hotel - since I'm here on deputation, my company paid for it.

Canberra is a very quiet town, places shut down early, life is relatively relaxed. Most job opportunities here are the government departments, so it might get boring after a while!

Most other expenses are the same at the rest of the country, not very different. I end up spending about 600 a month on groceries, electricity bills are usually 300-400 a quarter for a one bed room apartment (unless you're suck in a bad house that consumes a lot of electricity). Other spends really depend on what you do. For instance, I spend about 250 a month on petrol since I drive on an average 2500 kms a month, not many people would be doing that ;-)

Cheers,
Sonal

Reactions: manan_1986

·
Registered
169 Posts

Hope that helps!
Sonal

Those moving to ACT on statesponsorship should not stay in Queanbeyan. Thats nsw

Reactions: Aparwar
1 - 20 of 148 Posts