Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the UAE is transitional, where will you all move onto once your stints/contracts here have expired. I for one will NOT be returning to the UK. Will you be returning to your homeland or will you venture onto another country and possibly retire there?

Retiring on a Greek island sounds blissful to me :D

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Could you not invest in property and have your visa renewed every 6 months?
How many senior citizens have you come across in Dubai that are not Emarati and not tourists?
There most likely is an age limit on the visas as well.

The minute I have an opportunity to move to a more civilized country with proper laws I am outta here! Heading back to India is not an option for me.

·
Registered
376 Posts
How many senior citizens have you come across in Dubai that are not Emarati and not tourists?
There most likely is an age limit on the visas as well.

The minute I have an opportunity to move to a more civilized country with proper laws I am outta here! Heading back to India is not an option for me.
A few actually that own homes/run their own businesses. Guess they enjoy Dubai more than their own country and abide by the laws and as such they actually retire here.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
That's one of the grey areas, isn't it? There was talk a few years ago about having visas tied to property ownership but it never came through, did it?

It's probably possible to set up a dummy company based in a free zone and use that to give yourself a visa. As the company owner you may be exempt from the age restrictions on visas but you'd still have to carefully research the subject.

Google found this:

"It is possible to live in the UAE after 60 if you become an “investor”, which means holding shares worth a minimum of Dhs 75,000 (£13,600) in a company; likewise, it’s possible to get a property visa, but that’s valid only for six months. Even if you did that, unless you had extensive family here, who would be your friends? There are no communities of grey-haired grannies living the high life here: the UAE is not a country set up to cater to an elderly expat community. Ultimately, expats in the UAE have a choice: repatriate, or become what I would call a “rebound expat” by picking another country in which to retire. "

Interesting comments about the lack of an retirement community in the UAE. It's one thing to be 65 and healthy and hale but it's entirely something else to be 85.

Could you not invest in property and have your visa renewed every 6 months?

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
They changed the age to 65. We had a way around the rules but were forced to get 'normal' visas and they just changed that law right before we had to get our new visas. Otherwise.. my 64 year old co-worker was being told she would have to leave.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I would not base all my retirement plans on living out the rest of my days in the UAE. You can make all the "right" steps but at the end the UAE government is very likely to abruptly change the rules to prevent retirees from staying in the UAE. The Emiratis have always viewed expats as temporary and they're quite keen for people to leave at some point to be replaced by new expats. They have no interest whatsoever in allowing a permanent expat population, which is why there's no permanent residency visas.

Some expats can play the game and manage to slip through the cracks and remain in the UAE by becoming business owners. But if too many do this (and methinks too many will try) the UAE government will stand up and take notice and change the visa laws to stop this.

Last but not least, when you age, especially in your 70s and 80s, your body dramatically changes and becomes far more sensitive to issues of heat and cold. I'm witnessing this happen to my parents and other relatives. You might be singing a different tune in a few decades regarding the UAE summers.

So, whatever you do plan for your future in the UAE always have a backup plan for a future outside the UAE as well.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel for Senior Citizens and it is not an on coming train.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
So there is light at the end of the tunnel for Senior Citizens and it is not an on coming train.

No, not in the UAE. 65 and they kick you out. Why anyone would ever want to stay that long, if not married to a local... beyond me. And even then, you would think they would have had an agreement only to have to live here part of the time. :tongue1:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Some expats can play the game and manage to slip through the cracks and remain in the UAE by becoming business owners. But if too many do this (and methinks too many will try) the UAE government will stand up and take notice and change the visa laws to stop this..
Eloquently put but you are forgetting that the "rulers" do not agree on everything amongst themselves. The Free Zones like DIFC are shielded with specific legislation and cannot be overruled by the Federal Law for example. The CBUAE does not have a say in DIFC.

The control that you are mentioning would only make sense if this country was booming. Guess what when the recession is over, several expats are returning to their home countries. The so qualified are leaving since they can get well paid jobs back home.

Provided that you have a business and contributing to the economy I fail to see how the UAE would not allow such persons to stay. It goes against economy growth logic since you want people who can bring business to the country and ramp up GDP.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Provided that you have a business and contributing to the economy I fail to see how the UAE would not allow such persons to stay. It goes against economy growth logic since you want people who can bring business to the country and ramp up GDP.

Contribution to economy isnt the only fact considered when allowing people to reside, otherwise the "buy property, get visa" scheme would not have been retracted

1 - 20 of 30 Posts