Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only British cash cow that most French people acknowledge is the one that does its shopping in Lidl and buys coffee in the local cafes on market day.
Just out of interest, what does that mean exactly ? I am missing something.

Lidl is German .....:confused::confused:

P.S. I agree with your point about 'you need a reason to live in France'. A big house and countryside is not good enough. I am happy to live in a British village because I am British. But I don't see the point of living in a British village in France. I would prefer to live in Grassmere or Porthleven or wherever. In fact I would love to live in Grassmere or Porthleven. I don't want to live in a British village in Brittany.

·
Banned
99 Posts
Yes you are missing something. I know Lidl is German but it has a big presence in France and in many places the locals will be amazed by the number of British voices they hear in Lidl stores week in week out. Any cash injection from Britain is seen at local level not international level, the idea that Britain financially supports the EU is a myth enjoyed by leave supporters.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any cash injection from Britain is seen at local level not international level, the idea that Britain financially supports the EU is a myth enjoyed by leave supporters.
That is a contradiction. Britain does financially support the EU. In terms of France, the British represent the second highest number of tourists. Brittany ferries and the channel tunnel would actually close down if it was not for the British. The EU needs the ferries and the channel tunnel for trade. We support the EU at an international level.

I still don't get your point with Lidl. Your saying that the British are supporting the areas in which they live in France by shopping in Lidl and buying a coffee at the market ?

I like Lidl, but I would not eat their food. The British shop there because they are skint. :D

·
Banned
99 Posts
That is a contradiction. Britain does financially support the EU. In terms of France, the British represent the second highest number of tourists. Brittany ferries and the channel tunnel would actually close down if it was not for the British. The EU needs the ferries and the channel tunnel for trade. We support the EU at an international level.

I still don't get your point with Lidl. Your saying that the British are supporting the areas in which they live in France by shopping in Lidl and buying a coffee at the market ?

I like Lidl, but I would not eat their food. The British shop there because they are skint. :D
You obviously refuse to see my point but I am not going to argue with somebody with your approach to forums.
One last time. There is a belief amongst some that the EU will collapse without the UK payments to the EU. It will not. Those payments are quite different from the indirect payments made by UK citizens resident in Europe and tourism. In another post you implied that once the British payments stop Europeans will become resentful. The point about Lidl is that most French people won't look beyond any change in their everyday existence.
If you don't eat Lidl food that's your loss.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You obviously refuse to see my point but I am not going to argue with somebody with your approach to forums.
One last time. There is a belief amongst some that the EU will collapse without the UK payments to the EU. It will not. Those payments are quite different from the indirect payments made by UK citizens resident in Europe and tourism. In another post you implied that once the British payments stop Europeans will become resentful. The point about Lidl is that most French people won't look beyond any change in their everyday existence.
If you don't eat Lidl food that's your loss.

Sorry BinB, I have been up since 3am...it has been a very difficult and painful weekend. I am very slow at the moment. It is moments like this that I am glad I don't live rural. :)

I don't remember saying anything about the French becoming resentful. I think that was someone else if you read back.

But they may have a point in 'certain' agricultural areas. In mainstream France then no, there won't be any backlash.

Lidl food, no. My Lidl is 5 mins walk. Their salad is OK but their meat is full of water.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Sorry BinB, I have been up since 3am...it has been a very difficult and painful weekend. I am very slow at the moment. It is moments like this that I am glad I don't live rural. :)

I don't remember saying anything about the French becoming resentful. I think that was someone else if you read back.

But they may have a point in 'certain' agricultural areas. In mainstream France then no, there won't be any backlash.

Lidl food, no. My Lidl is 5 mins walk. Their salad is OK but their meat is full of water.
Hands up. It was me who said there will be a backlash. I base that upon the recent history of European countries blaming their neighbours for all their woes promoted by a decline in their income. Also the rise of the Right in Europe. Never, is a very dangerous word. Remember "the UK will never vote Brexit". The problems in the Middle East would be resolved by the removal of Saddam Hussain.

I have been in a Lidl once... I was a M&S and Waitrose shopper so to me it was too foreign an experience and like Paddy's Market. I shop here at French owned Grand Frais.

To the OP, as you will see there are more matters to take into account for your move than can you afford it.

Hope all is well with you Smeg. I am off home to Grasmere tomorrow and will think of you when I eat a real sticky toffee pudding��.

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
Boy, I'm glad I only now noticed that this is in the Bistro, cause it now definitely belongs here rather than in the main section of France.

The Brits are sounding more and more like the Americans every day. Especially now as folks assert that it's the Brits who have "saved" or "supported" either France or the EU and how sorry everyone will be when the UK is finally out of the EU.

For those who are unaware of this, local businesses pay taxes that go to support the local government (town, collection of towns and departement). So it doesn't really matter if you shop at Grand Frais, at Lidl or at IKEA - you're contributing to the local tax base. Local shops also provide jobs for local residents - hence no huge rebellion when Amazon announces they are building a warehouse in Bretigny that will offer 2000 jobs.

A direct comparison of "cost of living" is still pretty near impossible until and unless we have an idea of what draws a particular person or family to France.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Boy, I'm glad I only now noticed that this is in the Bistro, cause it now definitely belongs here rather than in the main section of France.
Except that this thread is NOT in the Bistro.

Pity the OP, given the extent to which the thread has been taken off track.

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
Dang - I could have sworn it was last time I looked. Hm - think I may move it there now, or split off the thread where it started running off the rails.
Cheers,
Bev

PS OK, now it IS in the Bistro.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Brits are sounding more and more like the Americans every day. Especially now as folks assert that it's the Brits who have "saved" or "supported" either France or the EU and how sorry everyone will be when the UK is finally out of the EU.
Don't mention the war :D

I'm neither for or against Brexit but there is a case for voting Brexit just to see what would happen. :) It is all very interesting.

·
Registered
156 Posts
what to buy at lidl?

Probably its just a difference in my tastes or something but I can't usually find amything I like at a significantly lower price at lidl so I stopped going. We tried several different locations in france. Always found the french markets, specialty stores and even the carre 4 and other supermarkets superior in every way.

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
Probably its just a difference in my tastes or something but I can't usually find amything I like at a significantly lower price at lidl so I stopped going. We tried several different locations in france. Always found the french markets, specialty stores and even the carre 4 and other supermarkets superior in every way.
It depends what sorts of things you're looking for. The Lidl near me usually does a booming business - probably a combination of prices, location and the local population. It does appeal to the folks closely watching their budgets, and there are quite a few students and foreigners on limited salaries in the area. I usually make a pass through there around Christmas time, as they usually have some nice "non-French" Christmas items (the Italian Christmas cakes, German marzipan and Lebkuchen) that are not easy to find in the more traditional grocery stores.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
573 Posts
I like their sliced smoked Norweigan salmond, the crunchy granola cereal w/pecans, the greek plain yogurt in pots of 4, their tobouli, and the Haribo - all much cheaper than French supermkts. Oh and the fruit & veg can be quite good depending on the day - nice green broc, avocados and flowers are dirt cheap - but I buy those from my neighborhood street sellers. Then depending on their sales, you can buy your cycling & running kit, DIY tools, flash drives, etc

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I think it depends on your local Lidl store. I have always found fruit and veg in the Lidl near me well and truly past it and the store IMO lacking in cleanliness, plus product choice is virtually non-existent. I do have a choice of 2 stores, one being slightly better than the other. I simply don't shop there. OTOH when I was in Soustons the Lidl there was great.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
FWIW I don't think there will be a backlash against Britain/the Brits (at least, no more than is currently the case ;) )

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
FWIW I don't think there will be a backlash against Britain/the Brits (at least, no more than is currently the case ;) )
What is currently the case ?

My thinking is that the EU French farming subsidy will have to be reassessed if the UK leaves (I say if the UK leaves :rolleyes:)

If the framing subsidies goes down and you are British living in an agricultural area you might get some backlash. It is not as if French farmers are the friendliest of types at the best of times.

Edit.....what about fishing !!! if you live in a fishing area of France and restrictions are imposed on UK waters !!!! Oooh....that could be interesting.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
What is currently the case ?

My thinking is that the EU French farming subsidy will have to be reassessed if the UK leaves (I say if the UK leaves :rolleyes:)

If the framing subsidies goes down and you are British living in an agricultural area you might get some backlash. It is not as if French farmers are the friendliest of types at the best of times.

Edit.....what about fishing !!! if you live in a fishing area of France and restrictions are imposed on UK waters !!!! Oooh....that could be interesting.
I used the term "currently the case" because there are undoubtedly those who feel resentful. If you were to go by La Tasca on the Spain forum, you might well say that some of the most resentful seem to be Brits living in the EU, although from what I gather Brexit and its potential effects are a raging issue in the UK.

But you've oversimplified both in terms of agricultural subsidies and particularly fishing. It's not and never has been a one way street (unless, perhaps, you want to leave). Frankly, everyone will just have to get on with the outcome, whatever it may be.

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
Honestly, the sense I get from the French folks I know is that fine, the Brits are leaving - and it's about time they got on with it. British farmers and fishermen get rather "significant" (i.e. "huge") subsidies from the EU that Mother England is promising to make up to them. It's simply not an issue that interests the French as far as I can see.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Honestly, the sense I get from the French folks I know is that fine, the Brits are leaving - and it's about time they got on with it.
Most people I talk to either don't care if the UK is leaving, did not know that the UK was leaving or hope France will follow.

Unless it affects you directly, nobody really cares. That sums up the EU.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts