Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it best to let an Abogado do all the paperwork and the Traffico visit for a driving licence exchange ( English to Spanish) , or is it easier to do it ones-self I live a two hour drive to my nearest Traffico HQ (Alicante) and it does sound confusing, also I've spoken to other Expats who have been sent away with their documents for silly faults and told to come back again another day.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Is it best to let an Abogado do all the paperwork and the Traffico visit for a driving licence exchange ( English to Spanish) , or is it easier to do it ones-self I live a two hour drive to my nearest Traffico HQ (Alicante) and it does sound confusing, also I've spoken to other Expats who have been sent away with their documents for silly faults and told to come back again another day.
We used an abogado to do both of ours at the same time - get a quote first, then shop around to see if you can do it cheaper elsewhere.

·
Administrator
36,756 Posts
most people in my area (1 hour from Alicante) use a gestor - simply because it's easier than the trip to Alicante - & once you've paid for petrol etc, it's not much more expensive than going yourself

a gestor, not an abogado - an abogado is a lawyer & you really don't need to use a lawyer

·
Registered
15,935 Posts
I would use a gestor, not an abogado - a gestor should be much cheaper than a lawyer.

We did it ourselves without any problem, but retrospectively, paying a gestor €20 would have been cheaper than the cost of petrol and parking for a trip to Cadiz Tráfico, and a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
I did it myself. So it can't be rocket science!
Google to find what docs you need...you need one from the DVLA. I think I took passport with copies, NIE/residencia with copies, car docs, insurance docs...in fact everything I thought might be needed.
It cost less than €40 including photos.

·
Registered
15,935 Posts
most people in my area (1 hour from Alicante) use a gestor - simply because it's easier than the trip to Alicante - & once you've paid for petrol etc, it's not much more expensive than going yourself

a gestor, not an abogado - an abogado is a lawyer & you really don't need to use a lawyer
Great minds think alike!:D

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
I would use a gestor, not an abogado - a gestor should be much cheaper than a lawyer.

We did it ourselves without any problem, but retrospectively, paying a gestor €20 would have been cheaper than the cost of petrol and parking for a trip to Cadiz Tráfico, and a whole lot easier.
True...but I went to La Linea Trafico and combined with a shopping trip to Gibraltar for veggie food, gin and fill-up of diesel so it was worth it!

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
First the medical, because we don't have trafico here, the lady in the office that issues residencia and passports did Bossladies. I don't need a Spanish driving licence, so I still have a U.K. licence. Cost about 30 Euros

·
Registered
15,935 Posts
True...but I went to La Linea Trafico and combined with a shopping trip to Gibraltar for veggie food, gin and fill-up of diesel so it was worth it!
Oh by the way, they now sell quorn in Carrefour (Los Barrios). There's a huge great section selling vegetarian and gluten free stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts