Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am leaving fro Melbourne on 20th Oct 2012 from BLR. Is there anyone who is also going or planning to visit Melbourne can contact me.:)

Reactions: ruchkal

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In MEL

Hello,

Apologies for the late updates... So here we go...

I landed safe and sound in MEL. The weather was cold and it was drizzling.
The immigration didn't took much time and it was hassle free..
I checked in to my Hostel and its good with all facilities such as free internet, kitchen and other lively events.

First thing i did when i landed is to get a new mobile connection. I took Lyca as its having a very good plan in 24$ in which National unlimited calls and SMS and 3gb of data free. I am happy with it though.

First few days were very tiring due to jet lag and entirely new environment. But I made few friends which made my stay pleasant .

TIP: Take to people and make friends if you are alone otherwise you would feel like what the f*@k you came here and it would be very very depressing.

:focus:
I started my job search immediately and contiguously for 4 days i was like applying for all the jobs but no luck, I really got fed up and frustrated. In my frustration I went out to have fun and enjoyed.

On the 5th day I got like 3 calls from consultants for the job and they have forwarded my resume to their clients. The job are in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. Hoping for good outcome and I may have to fly this week to Sydney or Brisbane.

TIP: The job market is little slow in this time of the year but if your profile is good then you will get calls. Be patients and you will be rewarded. Also their will be time when you would feel things are not moving and you are stuck. But do not worry my friends, its the part of the game. And if you are really good in what you do then this is just temporary.

Initially, i had my food outside either in Subway, MacD or Japanese restaurant which are ofcourse very very expensive. But if you know how to cook even something like noodles :)DMaggie) or omelet then you can save lot of money on the food. The mega food markets such as Victoria Market or ALDI is really cheap. You can easily get like less than 2$ you can easily get 5 packs of noodles (like Maggie) and breads are very cheap.

TIP: DO not buy water from individual stores they will cost like 3$ for 1.5l. But same 1.5l bottle you can easily get from ALDI for like 65 cents. Yes it really [email protected]#k up the mind but its true.

TIP: Enjoy a lot do not let depression take place, talk to lot of people make friends and explore. Oz is [email protected]#king expensive but there are ways and we all know how to get away with that don't we....:D

This is it till now will further update....Chao!!!!

Hi All,

I am leaving fro Melbourne on 20th Oct 2012 from BLR. Is there anyone who is also going or planning to visit Melbourne can contact me.:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the update. Wishing you the best on your job hunt!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Great info regarding the phone and internet plan and also regarding own cooked food.

Please also add info regarding the hostel and hostel cost.

Did you take a myki card for travel?

What is your profile and what kind of jobs are you looking for?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hostel and Myki

Great info regarding the phone and internet plan and also regarding own cooked food.

Please also add info regarding the hostel and hostel cost.

Did you take a myki card for travel?

What is your profile and what kind of jobs are you looking for?
I think "hotels" are very expensive. But hostel such as MIB, NOMADS, DISCOVERY... are cheap you can get a cot, internet, morning breakfast and free kitchen availability in almost all the hostels... for more check this google search

Google

Regarding MYki, i have not purchased it yet because its very expensive and I usually walk because CBD is very near to my hostel discovery...

Reactions: kanmaj10

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great Info. Especially regarding job. I am so worried these days regarding the job, as in the time it would take for me to get a job after we arrive to Melbourne. Me and my husband are moving to Melbourne on March 17 2013.

Does the Hostels have facilities for the couples to stay as well?
Which part of melbourne do you think has more IT jobs? So that we can book the hostel or hotel or rent a house in melbourne.
Does anyone know any particular reliable website to book a house for rent or for shared accomodation search?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great Info. Especially regarding job. I am so worried these days regarding the job, as in the time it would take for me to get a job after we arrive to Melbourne. Me and my husband are moving to Melbourne on March 17 2013.

Does the Hostels have facilities for the couples to stay as well?
Which part of melbourne do you think has more IT jobs? So that we can book the hostel or hotel or rent a house in melbourne.
Does anyone know any particular reliable website to book a house for rent or for shared accomodation search?
Job search will need lot of patients.... And related to hostel refer my previous post.. Yes hostels do have private rooms for couples bu tit would be around 30-40$ per day...

If you live close to CBD which is here i think is Collins St. it would be best... From my hostel "Discovery" its just 15 mins walk...

TIP: I think best would be to come here with initial accommodation in Hostel and then find a place to stay for long... You can easy get shared accommodating for 150$ per week... For accommodation GumTree.com.au is good.

·
Registered
222 Posts
great info there,esp on hostels.me and my wife are arriving in melbourne on 15th jan and would definitely use the hostels for initial stay .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Job search will need lot of patients.... And related to hostel refer my previous post.. Yes hostels do have private rooms for couples bu tit would be around 30-40$ per day...

If you live close to CBD which is here i think is Collins St. it would be best... From my hostel "Discovery" its just 15 mins walk...

TIP: I think best would be to come here with initial accommodation in Hostel and then find a place to stay for long... You can easy get shared accommodating for 150$ per week... For accommodation GumTree.com.au is good.
Oh ok.. I know lot of patience required... So trying to gain it all the way along and trying to upgrade my skills, by the time I reach Melbourne.
What is CBD? .. Collins St. is close to the IT firms, is it?
Actually, initially when we come to melbourne, we have planned to stay in one of our frenz place. But its a single bedroom house, so we have been thinking if we could stay for long there. Hence, may be we both would shift out to a new house or something to share...Or else may be after we get job it would be easier to decide... But, however, if we get a good shared accomodation close to some IT firms, then we are thinking of going for it. Ok. GumTree.com.au looks good. Wil go through the same... I read smwhere that realestate.com is also good.. But I think its expensive , right?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am back from Australia... And following are my updates

I got 10 calls from the consultants in the last week for job however they want me to joining immediately which I could not so they put me down. Also I had a written test which was good. A job consultant did asked me to wait for 2 week so she can schedule an interview with the client but my bad luck I have to come back.

But all-in-all i am optimistic that if you are good at what you are doing and confident then its very easy to get a job in Australia.

·
Registered
740 Posts

I got 10 calls from the consultants in the last week for job however they want me to joining immediately which I could not so they put me down. Also I had a written test which was good. A job consultant did asked me to wait for 2 week so she can schedule an interview with the client but my bad luck I have to come back.

But all-in-all i am optimistic that if you are good at what you are doing and confident then its very easy to get a job in Australia.

Thanks a ton dagrwal for the useful updates...

What is you job occupation ? and what I felt from your post is that with in 14 days you almost secured a Job.... Thats really cool..

·
Registered
79 Posts

Thanks for your post. You are really a amazing person to secure a job so soon!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks a ton dagrwal for the useful updates...

What is you job occupation ? and what I felt from your post is that with in 14 days you almost secured a Job.... Thats really cool..
Hi All,

I am a java developer with 7 years of experinece

Thanks guys... yes I did almost secure a job but moving finally again to Melbourne in Jan 2013. Hoping for the best and prepared for the worst... :boxing:

Reactions: zooter80

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hello,

Apologies for the late updates... So here we go...

I landed safe and sound in MEL. The weather was cold and it was drizzling.
The immigration didn't took much time and it was hassle free..
I checked in to my Hostel and its good with all facilities such as free internet, kitchen and other lively events.

First thing i did when i landed is to get a new mobile connection. I took Lyca as its having a very good plan in 24$ in which National unlimited calls and SMS and 3gb of data free. I am happy with it though.

First few days were very tiring due to jet lag and entirely new environment. But I made few friends which made my stay pleasant .

TIP: Take to people and make friends if you are alone otherwise you would feel like what the f*@k you came here and it would be very very depressing.

I started my job search immediately and contiguously for 4 days i was like applying for all the jobs but no luck, I really got fed up and frustrated. In my frustration I went out to have fun and enjoyed.

On the 5th day I got like 3 calls from consultants for the job and they have forwarded my resume to their clients. The job are in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. Hoping for good outcome and I may have to fly this week to Sydney or Brisbane.

TIP: The job market is little slow in this time of the year but if your profile is good then you will get calls. Be patients and you will be rewarded. Also their will be time when you would feel things are not moving and you are stuck. But do not worry my friends, its the part of the game. And if you are really good in what you do then this is just temporary.

Initially, i had my food outside either in Subway, MacD or Japanese restaurant which are ofcourse very very expensive. But if you know how to cook even something like noodles :)DMaggie) or omelet then you can save lot of money on the food. The mega food markets such as Victoria Market or ALDI is really cheap. You can easily get like less than 2$ you can easily get 5 packs of noodles (like Maggie) and breads are very cheap.

TIP: DO not buy water from individual stores they will cost like 3$ for 1.5l. But same 1.5l bottle you can easily get from ALDI for like 65 cents. Yes it really [email protected]#k up the mind but its true.

TIP: Enjoy a lot do not let depression take place, talk to lot of people make friends and explore. Oz is [email protected]#king expensive but there are ways and we all know how to get away with that don't we....:D

This is it till now will further update....Chao!!!!
thanks for the update - all the best!!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

Thank you for the encouraging Post.. This gives lot of hope for people who have self confidence , so If we have got talent we can crack the Job soon..
Thank you for the Post
Regards
RK

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks guys... yes I did almost secure a job but moving finally again to Melbourne in Jan 2013. Hoping for the best and prepared for the worst... :boxing:
Awsme! You are the most optimistic person I have ever seen.. I do have to learn from you! :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi All,

Congrats! You did really well to achieve a lot within a short span of time. Hats off. :yo:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts