Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First post on this Forum so please be gentle!

Would appreciate some help with process in getting a letterbox. We have owned a holiday cottage near Champagne Mouton for 14 years and visit approx 4/5 times a year for summer holidays and long weekends. Retiring early next year and plan to stay at cottage for 3 - 4 months (April to July). Property does not have a letterbox.

All post re the property (taxes etc) come to UK address so will have all that and UK post redirected to us whilst in France. Do we have to register and source a letterbox from La Poste? or can we just buy one, stick our name on it and attach it to our French neighbours and the end of the track that leads to our homes?

We live in a Hamlet with no road names so the postman identifies whose post it is purely by the name.

Thanks in anticipation (have tried to get the info from the English La Poste website but I think its been removed)

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
You can purchase a letterbox from stores such as Leroy Merlin. Your name should be clearly marked on the box.

I believe you will use the name of the village to which your hamlet is attached, plus the name of the hamlet, for your address, but you can check that with your nearest post office. You should certainly tell La Poste that you will now be receiving mail and perhaps provide a diagram of where your house is located, given you haven't to date been receiving mail and the postman doesn't (yet) know you..

Your address would probably look something like this:

Name
Name of hamlet
name of village
Postcode (there should be one for the village)​

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
It's usually a good idea to make friends with your postman, postlady, facteur, factrice. They can be helpful (or not!)re parcels, registered post etc when you are not there, etc etc. Depending where you are on their round they may appreciate a coffee, or use of the loo.

As government employees they are not allowed to accept tips etc. SOOOOOO a few weeks Christmas you will be invited to buy a calender. If you will not be there at this time why not offer to "prepay"for a calender....it will generate a lot of goodwill.

DejW

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Also worth knowing that if you don't want lots of junk mail, you can write "pas de publicité svp" on the letter box.
Whether leaflet droppers take any notice or not, is another matter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies - wasn't sure if you needed to register with La Poste. I'll be buying a brand new letterbox next time we are over!

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Thanks for the replies - wasn't sure if you needed to register with La Poste. I'll be buying a brand new letterbox next time we are over!
Make sure it's a good sized one - La Poste will now collect parcels that you mail direct from your home, which is handy when you live in a hamlet - plus it enables to facteur/factrice to leave bulkier items when you're not home :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's usually a good idea to make friends with your postman, postlady, facteur, factrice. They can be helpful (or not!)re parcels, registered post etc when you are not there, etc etc. Depending where you are on their round they may appreciate a coffee, or use of the loo.

As government employees they are not allowed to accept tips etc. SOOOOOO a few weeks Christmas you will be invited to buy a calender. If you will not be there at this time why not offer to "prepay"for a calender....it will generate a lot of goodwill.

DejW
love it, so your ability to fit in depends on the "christmas calender"

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Well, a good answer is "yes" and "no".

....it's only a christmas calender... but it's also a tip.....and we've had a thread on that. I'm living in my third rural area in France and it's my experiece after 16 years that it's very useful to be on good terms with the postie. They have rules for leaving packages etc which can be difficult, but can be ignored for "nice people". We are both big internet customers.

...as for fitting in, it's a question of "when in Rome"?......and all the subsequent implications.

DejW

lsove it, so your ability to fit in depends on the "christmas calender"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts