Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother-in-law has offered to let us stay at her home in the UK indefinitely - she owns the home, has enough bedrooms for us and we will have no utilities or bills of that nature.
I know she needs to write a letter for my Visa application regarding her offer to house us while we settle. What sort of information should be included? She has already sent over a copy of her deed to show she owns the property and has the authority to let us stay with her. And also, we are wondering how formal the letter should be - or should it include a bit of personal story about how much she is looking forward to having us stay with her, etc.? My instinct is to be very formal in tone for these types of things, but maybe they want to see a bit of personality?

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
My mother-in-law has offered to let us stay at her home in the UK indefinitely - she owns the home, has enough bedrooms for us and we will have no utilities or bills of that nature.
I know she needs to write a letter for my Visa application regarding her offer to house us while we settle. What sort of information should be included? She has already sent over a copy of her deed to show she owns the property and has the authority to let us stay with her. And also, we are wondering how formal the letter should be - or should it include a bit of personal story about how much she is looking forward to having us stay with her, etc.? My instinct is to be very formal in tone for these types of things, but maybe they want to see a bit of personality?
Keep it to the point and business-like. Address the letter to Entry Clearance Officer at the British Consulate. Just say something like:

Dear ECO

I hereby offer Mr & Mrs A and B, [son and daughter-in-law etc], to live with me in my property at [full address] for an indefinite period, free of rent, council tax and utility bills. It is a 4-bedroom house [or whatever] and there will be just the three of us living [or whatever]. I enclose my title deed and council tax bill [or another utility bill] as confirmation of ownership and occupation.

Yours sincerely

Mrs AB

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just received the letter from my mother-in-law, perfect. However, I noticed a form mentioned somewhere - "Sponsorship Undertaking Form SU07". Is that something I should have downloaded and had her sign since she is offering to house us?

And while I'm on the subject of letters - what should the letter from my husband's future UK employer include? They are asking what we need from them - just that they are offering a job, how much the pay per annum will be?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.