Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, I am applying for a spouse visa. Can someone please look over my husband's proposed introduction as a sponsor, and let me know if there's anything which should be omitted or included? I've omitted some personally identifying information and used my username in lieu of my real name... Thanks!

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please find enclosed here an application and supporting forms for a spousal visa for my wife, clever-octopus, whom I am sponsoring.

I married clever-octopus on the 14th May 2015 in the town of [where she lives], Connecticut (CT), USA. clever-octopus is now applying for a visa so that she can join me living in the United Kingdom, in my rented accommodation in [current city]. We have chosen to settle together in the UK rather than the USA, as this allows us to remain close to my elderly father such that we can provide care and assistance to him and my mother.

Clever-octopus and I met in February 2014 through an online dating website and, having established a bond through emails and video calls, decided to meet in Manhattan, New York (NY) in April 2014, also visiting [town], CT. Clever-octopus visited the UK to see me in May 2014 when we stayed in the Lake District, and again in August 2014 when we stayed in London and [current city], where I introduced clever-octopus to my friends in the UK. I visited the US in November 2014 to stay on Long Island, NY with clever-octopus, meeting her parents and friends over Thanksgiving and, in December 2014, clever-octopus visited me in Leeds and [current city] to meet my parents and spend Christmas with us.

In February 2015, clever-octopus visited me to spend a week in the Lake District, where I proposed and we became engaged. I most recently visited clever-octopus this month (May 2015), staying in Manhattan, NY, and visiting [clever-octopus's town of residence] where we married.

I am a British citizen; born and raised in Leeds, West Yorkshire. I studied chemistry at the University of Leeds, and I now live and work in [city] as a [specific job function] at [company name], as documents enclosed from the HR department will support.

clever-octopus and I have read through the application guidance and put together documents to support this application. We thank you for your consideration.

Yours faithfully,

Sponsor's Name

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
Dear Entry Clearance Officer
Omit first line.
Put your history in chronological order, i.e. first contact - first meeting - engagement - marriage - future intentions. Write a bit about any shared interests, belief and philosophy, and why you think you are suited to each other in non-emotive language.
Your personal details are unnecessary.
Last line is unsuitable.
If you require any further details or clarifications, please contact me or my spouse.
Yours sincerely

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Joppa!

Would you suggest leaving in the bits about a) why we're moving to the UK, and b) meeting friends/family? The visits my husband has described are already in chronological order.

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
a) yes, b) unnecessary (obvious). Your RELATIONSHIP should be described in chronological order. So the bit about marriage in CT should come later, and visa for UK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dumb question... Will this also apply for a divorced couple that wants to reconcile and possibly remarry in the UK and then have dual residency in the US and the U.K. ?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Marriage and residency are completely separate concepts... You aren't granted the right to reside in a country just by marrying there. The countries in which you have the right to reside depends on your citizenship and visa status. If you married in the UK and you did not already have the right to live there as a citizen or a settlement visa holder, you would have to apply for a visa, if you are eligible, but I don't know what your situation is like (or your partner's citizenship/visa status) so I can't really advise. I don't think this has anything to do with the OP really

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you; one last question, if I may - Do you think it is still necessary for me as the applicant to include a letter of introduction? I'm not certain what else to write that my husband won't cover himself in his sponsorship letter.

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
The idea is you supply both letters, covering similar grounds but written from own standpoint. Just don't copy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.