Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys

Firstly my congrads to all who have got thr ausi pr and my prayers are for all yet to rcv...dont worry guys golden mails should b on its way.

I wanted to start this thread so all cam share thr current experience after pr... especially the ones who have already arrived. Guys pls share ur experiences so that it will benefit all already reached and the ones still planning to move soon...

Ur good and bad experiences, job hunt, house hunt, expenses and anything u guys think will b useful info to all our forum members. .

To start with myself.. I got my grant on 16th sep and planning to make my 1st entry in april 2014... for a holiday... then shift permanently in August 2014 in shaa allah. .. having 2 kids... one is 4 and the other is just 2 months..

Anything u guys can share would b great... lets hope this thread is useful to all planning to start a new life in australia.. thank u guys

·
Registered
80 Posts
HI guys

Firstly my congrads to all who have got thr ausi pr and my prayers are for all yet to rcv...dont worry guys golden mails should b on its way.

I wanted to start this thread so all cam share thr current experience after pr... especially the ones who have already arrived. Guys pls share ur experiences so that it will benefit all already reached and the ones still planning to move soon...

Ur good and bad experiences, job hunt, house hunt, expenses and anything u guys think will b useful info to all our forum members. .

To start with myself.. I got my grant on 16th sep and planning to make my 1st entry in april 2014... for a holiday... then shift permanently in August 2014 in shaa allah. .. having 2 kids... one is 4 and the other is just 2 months..

Anything u guys can share would b great... lets hope this thread is useful to all planning to start a new life in australia.. thank u guys
I have lodged 189 and looking for similar answers as well.
I am hoping to get a job offer before leaving US to go to Australia.

Rajat

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Rajat, I was wondering why did you leave US? As US is much more better than in Australia? It is not easy to find a job in Australia, generally sepaking. Companies want 'Australian experience'. Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Rajat, I was wondering why did you leave US? As US is much more better than in Australia? It is not easy to find a job in Australia, generally sepaking. Companies want 'Australian experience'. Thanks
Hi lkorniadi,

I haven't left US yet and that's a very good point you bring up.
I am here on H1B and as you might be aware for Indians getting a PR or GC in US is a very lengthy process. I have work permit for next few years but if I go out of US and my visa is expired then I have to go for stamping which again could be tricky.
There are several cases where H1 visa have been denied for reputed companies.

Also with immigration laws changing all the time you never know what it might be like an year from now.

Plus, both US and Aus have certain good and bad. So it is a fair choice between two. For ex Healthcare in Oz is much better than US. Pay is better, the country has almost no debt and a very relaxed lifestyle.
US has better education and way way more diversity.

So Aussie PR is more like a fallback option for me. I will get my visa validated and keep working in US and if I get a better offer in Australia or things go hay wire in US I will move over.

If GC process in US was easy I might not have applied for Australia.

Thanks,
Rajat

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Rajat,

Have you start your PR for USA? The PR for Australia is a long process as well, you better start the process.

The salary in Australia is higher, but the living cost also amazing. Please do your research and don't let go your current job unless you got one in Australia.

Anyway, Canada seems better than USA and Australia. Do you consider Canada?

Good luck,
Lenny

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Rajat,

Have you start your PR for USA? The PR for Australia is a long process as well, you better start the process.

The salary in Australia is higher, but the living cost also amazing. Please do your research and don't let go your current job unless you got one in Australia.

Anyway, Canada seems better than USA and Australia. Do you consider Canada?

Good luck,
Lenny
Hi Lenny,

Really appreciate your concern and that is good advice in general.
I have started my process and lodged 189 and God willing should get my Australian PR in a couple of months.
As US PR is initialed by employer (we can not do independently as in Australia) that is not yet started but I might do that next year around March.

Canada is a beautiful country with some top notch cities but I love outdoors and the idea of 9-10 months of winters feels like a bit too much.

I will keep posting how things are going and in case you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Rajat

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi lkorniadi,

I haven't left US yet and that's a very good point you bring up.
I am here on H1B and as you might be aware for Indians getting a PR or GC in US is a very lengthy process. I have work permit for next few years but if I go out of US and my visa is expired then I have to go for stamping which again could be tricky.
There are several cases where H1 visa have been denied for reputed companies.

Also with immigration laws changing all the time you never know what it might be like an year from now.

Plus, both US and Aus have certain good and bad. So it is a fair choice between two. For ex Healthcare in Oz is much better than US. Pay is better, the country has almost no debt and a very relaxed lifestyle.
US has better education and way way more diversity.

So Aussie PR is more like a fallback option for me. I will get my visa validated and keep working in US and if I get a better offer in Australia or things go hay wire in US I will move over.

If GC process in US was easy I might not have applied for Australia.

Thanks,
Rajat

Hi Rajat,

I need your addvise please, these days i am seeing many threads on Linkedin regarding job market in Australia and they say the job market is not good.i am really confused as how to proceed further. I have done my ACS which expires on feb2014 and in the mean time i have written IELTS for 5 times and never cleared with 7 in each band.The worst thing is i have already paid my processing fees to Y-axis and on total i have invested ariund 2 lakhs and now after such a looooonnnng journey, i feel that the IT Market is not good and they have only few openings .Please guide me. Should i write my IELTS again ,hoping that everything will be fine very soon.Should i change my Mind and apply for CANADA.How is the job market in canada for IT jobs.I have asked many of my friends but none of them where least bothered to help,i am asking you beacuse you were just talking about CANADA plans, so thought you might have done some research.

I am sure ,if i can put some efforts ,then definietely i can clear IELTS. Please provide your valuable suggestions.

Thanks,
Kumar

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi Rajat,

I need your addvise please, these days i am seeing many threads on Linkedin regarding job market in Australia and they say the job market is not good.i am really confused as how to proceed further. I have done my ACS which expires on feb2014 and in the mean time i have written IELTS for 5 times and never cleared with 7 in each band.The worst thing is i have already paid my processing fees to Y-axis and on total i have invested ariund 2 lakhs and now after such a looooonnnng journey, i feel that the IT Market is not good and they have only few openings .Please guide me. Should i write my IELTS again ,hoping that everything will be fine very soon.Should i change my Mind and apply for CANADA.How is the job market in canada for IT jobs.I have asked many of my friends but none of them where least bothered to help,i am asking you beacuse you were just talking about CANADA plans, so thought you might have done some research.

I am sure ,if i can put some efforts ,then definietely i can clear IELTS. Please provide your valuable suggestions.

Thanks,
Kumar

Hi kumar,

Canada occupational ceiling is very less compared to what Australia has to offer..it fills up before you know it..this is what i have understood from my research..
Secondly, i see you have given your IELTS exam 5 times and did not get the score you wanted..i sincerely suggest you to giving it one more time...a bit of concentration and hardwork is all what it needs..and don't get tensed...its not the end of the road..just chill!!..your PR is waiting for you ..keep trying..goodluck!!!:fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Rajat,

Thanks,
Kumar
Hi Kumar,

IT market is definitely big in US since most IT companies are headquartered here. From what I learnt from my friends Australia has a growing IT market and they have more openings in project management kind of role rather than core development. So yes there are not as many developer positions in Aus as in US but there certainly are opportunities and at the end of the day you just need one.

It is a bit hard to get a job in Aus primarily because they are finicky about having "Local experience". So if you are okay with working for a small compensation initially you can get a job and then grow from there.
Besides IT you can easily get a lot of "Bread and Butter" jobs to keep you going (not making big bucks but to keep you afloat) However try to get a real IT job asap as bread and butter jobs don't count in IT experience.

Canada again is not as big as US and finding a job there is not easy as well. But culture wise you may find it closer to US then Aus. Plus you might find yourself struggling with French. They are not too hooked up on English if you venture out of Big Cities.

I totally feel you on IELTS. I gave it three times. From what I understand Listening and reading are easy to score. Speaking is fairly easy and writing is the hardest. Read a lot of literature and practice writing on topics with proper grammar. It is hard but not impossible.

Since your ACS is about to expire I would suggest you give IELTS and clear it as soon as you can and file your EOI. Once you have the option of 189 then you can think about job more seriously. It is always better to have an alternative ready in case you want to move.

Good luck and hope things work out fine for you.

Thanks,
Rajat

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi kumar,

Canada occupational ceiling is very less compared to what Australia has to offer..it fills up before you know it..this is what i have understood from my research..
Secondly, i see you have given your IELTS exam 5 times and did not get the score you wanted..i sincerely suggest you to giving it one more time...a bit of concentration and hardwork is all what it needs..and don't get tensed...its not the end of the road..just chill!!..your PR is waiting for you ..keep trying..goodluck!!!:fingerscrossed:
Hi Bravo,

Thanks for keeping my hopes alive,but i have a question .please dont mind.i feel that IT jobs are comparatively less in AUstralia and i have 7 years of exp into SAS technologies.should i just do my part, write exam, clear it and then get PR.If there are not many IT jobs, what is the point moving there i feel. Will the market get stabilized.what are the chances pf getting a job if everytihing went well after clearing my exams or else just stopp thinking this for while.Do my DUTY to clear exam . Seems like i have a question and even i have answer even. But i am very much scared as what happens if things didnt workout.

Thanks,
Kumar

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi kumar,

Besides the low ceiling as pointed by bravokal whole of Canada is no longer open to IT immigration. It is only the province of Quebec (main city Montreal) that allows IT immigration.
So that means learning French and potentially committing to a single city for a couple of years.

Thanks,
Rajat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts