Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there areas around Wellington that are less windy and/or warmer?

The NZ lifestyle seems like it would be very agreeable for myself, wife and 2 small kids, but coming from California, the cooler wetter windier weather might not be.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Are there areas around Wellington that are less windy and/or warmer?

The NZ lifestyle seems like it would be very agreeable for myself, wife and 2 small kids, but coming from California, the cooler wetter windier weather might not be.

Thanks!
Any reason you want to live in Wellington?
Generally the East coast is sunnier & dryer.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
even the 'windy' suburbs have calm/sheltered areas, eg parts of Island Bay heading inland towards Berhampore, best indication I think is look at the gardens, what grows changes quickly from sheltered to exposed areas; I once rented a place off Melrose Rd in I Bay, a little oasis on a long driveway, 5 houses tucked into the hillside. The down-side (and there is always one!) is that due to the landscape we couldn't get Sky/satellite tv as was a poor reception area, and mobile ph coverage wasn't the best either.
The catch with Wgtn is that if it has a view, it has wind. I wouldn't rush into buying till you've settled, looked around suburbs (on a bad day), happy with your job and commuter options, could be a factor on where you choose to live if spending 2 hrs a day to/from work isn't on your 'to do' list. First place I lived when I moved to Wgtn was Karori as a friend had a house there and suited him to have someone help pay the mortgage; I lasted one winter, have never lived anywhere so cold, frosts and often mist/fog till late morning, damp and not a place I would recommend, despite it being seen as a fashionable/expensive suburb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts