Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A friend of mine asked to borrow my car for a couple of days. I will not be using the car these days so I have no problem to give it to him.
My question is, are there any documents we should set up before he takes the car? what if he was fined or got a ticket? what if he was part of any unfortunate event? is there any legal step to do or it is just depending on both of us to resolve any of these issues in a friendly matter?

Thanks for your help.
M

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Personally I would direct him to the nearest car hire company unless you really trust him which as you are asking questions on here probably means you do not The buck will stop with the owner frankly

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Agree with Crabbers....if your friend bends the car then there are problems.

That said, last year my French brother in law lent me his car for a week to complete house purchase etc. He's a boringly meticulous person, so I'm sure he did it right. I think he had to clear it with his insurance..not sure. He gave me the keys, together with the carte grise and insurance certificate, and I was off - after a long lecture on how to unlock the car, start it, not drive too fast, observe traffic lights.............yawn, snore.

DejW

Personally I would direct him to the nearest car hire company unless you really trust him which as you are asking questions on here probably means you do not The buck will stop with the owner frankly

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
AFAIK your motor vehicle insurance in France covers any driver subject of course to normal conditions, such as not drink driving in case of an accident (why not just double-check with your insurer?). For speeding tickets, you would need to pass those on to your friend and have him pay them. All depends on the degree of trust, I guess. It's very common for the French to lend their vehicles to people they trust.

·
Registered
192 Posts
AFAIK your motor vehicle insurance in France covers any driver subject of course to normal conditions, such as not drink driving in case of an accident (why not just double-check with your insurer?). For speeding tickets, you would need to pass those on to your friend and have him pay them. All depends on the degree of trust, I guess. It's very common for the French to lend their vehicles to people they trust.
Consulting your insurance contract or checking with your insurer is very sound advice. I believe that civil liability and damage to the owned vehicle have different conditions in most policies. But you are likely not be covered in any event unless the driver has current valid driver's license for your type of vehicle recognized under french law and is of driving age in France. As far as infractions captured by camera or radar, the notice you get specifies the procedure to follow if you were not the driver. Best to follow them because the loss in points prove more important than the fine.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Same in the US, auto insurers just need verbal permission from the owner. When I lived in the UK it seemed taboo - at least that was my experience.
THe reason it seems taboo is because in the UK it is actually the person that is insured to drive the car. In France (and Switzerland) it is the car that is insured, so usually anyone can drive.

Regards

Ian

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Thank you! That explains a lot.

DejW

THe reason it seems taboo is because in the UK it is actually the perdson that is insured to drive the car. In France (and Switzerland) it is the car that is insured, so usually anyone can drive.

Regards

Ian

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks all, I called my insurer and he said no problem at all as long as it is not the habitual thing.. in other words an exceptional lend for a day or two.
Some conditions though:
1- Driver has to have a valid license with date at least 3 years (my friend has the license issued recently but on the back it has the date when he started to drive which is the important date as it is more than 3 years ago)
2- If the driver is young, the franchise in case of an accident would be higher.
3- in some contracts, if the driver is not the primary driver mentioned in the contract, franchise can be higher as well but it depends on the contract. In my case I was told this was not the case.

Thanks again
M

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
good luck.

Let's hope your next post is not "anybody know a good crash repairer?"

DejW

thanks all, I called my insurer and he said no problem at all as long as it is not the habitual thing.. in other words an exceptional lend for a day or two.
Some conditions though:
1- Driver has to have a valid license with date at least 3 years (my friend has the license issued recently but on the back it has the date when he started to drive which is the important date as it is more than 3 years ago)
2- If the driver is young, the franchise in case of an accident would be higher.
3- in some contracts, if the driver is not the primary driver mentioned in the contract, franchise can be higher as well but it depends on the contract. In my case I was told this was not the case.

Thanks again
M

1 - 11 of 11 Posts