Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know this sounds crazy so please don't take it the wrong way.

I heard they legalized small amounts of drugs in Mexico and I'm curious as to what has resulted. Do you now have people trying to sell small amounts of weed everywhere you go? I know it's still illegal to sell but you know...

I'm just wondering if the kids selling Chickletts, the cab drivers and the street vendors are now selling joints.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Exactly. What this means is that the substance ans particularly selling the substance is illegal, very much so. But consuming it is not, you won´t go to jail for that (you will get detained), hence if you have small quantities you likely are a consumer, not a distributor and thus won´t go to jail.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Exactly. What this means is that the substance ans particularly selling the substance is illegal, very much so. But consuming it is not, you won´t go to jail for that (you will get detained), hence if you have small quantities you likely are a consumer, not a distributor and thus won´t go to jail.
And if you are here as a guest of Mexico, meaning not a citizen of Mexico, maybe they will deport your dumb ass back to where you came from. Hence, the Mexican government can play it any way they wish if they catch some dumb ****** with dope.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I should just expect that posting anything on an internet forum will result in people trying to goad me into an argument. It's sad.

Anyway, I'm not looking for drugs. I'm just a politically minded person and wondering what has resulted from the new law. I know Mexico is a place you can get pretty much anything you want on the street if you want to risk serious trouble. When I read about the new law online I had vissions of street venders selling joints on the down low like they do all over Detroit. Anyway, I think the concept of a wealthy American expat being deported over a gram of weed is pretty funny. More like you get shaken down for $50.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
No need for argument; just trying to understand how you 'imagine' Mexico, compared to the reality that we know. You must admit that your first question, about going from Puerto Vallarta to Cabo San Lucas in a small boat, without blue water experience or even knowing the distance, did set the tone of things.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No need for argument; just trying to understand how you 'imagine' Mexico, compared to the reality that we know. You must admit that your first question, about going from Puerto Vallarta to Cabo San Lucas in a small boat, without blue water experience or even knowing the distance, did set the tone of things.
What kind of boat do you own? Do you have a lot of offshore experience?

Are you familiar with the Great Lakes? Are you aware they sunk the Edmond Fitzgerald? Do you know where Michigan is on a map? What do you know of my experience?

The widest part of the Gulf is about 100 miles. I wouldn't have to cut straight across - I could ride the shoreline the whole way if I wanted to.

And I'm not going anywhere just yet. I'm asking questions so that I have the neccessary info before setting out which is what a responsible Captain does if I'm not mistaken. And I have been to several places in mexico.

Perhaps instead of spending all your time online trying to pick a fight with the new guy you should find a more constructive way to use your time.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I'm an experienced world sailor, having captained my own schooner in the Atlantic, Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico and Pacific Ocean; making passages up to a month long.
I also know the Fitzgerald incident and have delivered other people's vessels from the Atlantic to the Great Lakes, as a hired skipper.
Unfortunately, I'm now too old to continue enjoying those activities, and can only give advice.
I'm trying to keep you alive, not provoke you. However, you may do as you wish; of course.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm an experienced world sailor, having captained my own schooner in the Atlantic, Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico and Pacific Ocean; making passages up to a month long.
I also know the Fitzgerald incident and have delivered other people's vessels from the Atlantic to the Great Lakes, as a hired skipper.
Unfortunately, I'm now too old to continue enjoying those activities, and can only give advice.
I'm trying to keep you alive, not provoke you. However, you may do as you wish; of course.
Well, that is impressive but you haven't given any advice - just critisism. What type of powered vessel do you think is neccessary for such a journey?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
A deep hulled diesel vessel with steadying sail. Even then, few 'boats' are intended for passages and can be easily overwhelmed. A small ship would be more appropriate, or a blue water sailing vessel. The skipper, and at least one other crew, should be qualified to pilot/navigate out of sight of land and without the aid of electronics. A canopied life raft in a canister with EPRP should be on deck for any such passage.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Edub:
I've been posting here for more than a year and have not come across your handle (that I can remember) often. There are simple rules: we are not confrontational here, but we are direct - we do not bull****. Some people have gained cred by the amount and veracity of what they posted and how it was phrased.

I followed your dialog with RVGRINGO, and it is too bad it got off on the wrong foot. RVGRINGO is one of those here who people respect - but he is no bull****ter and can be very direct. Like me he tries to separate fact from opinion and does not post on things he has no knowledge of, nor will I. I know nothing of cruising in the blue water, but it appears he does and I sure as heck only know one rules about any kind of dope in Mexico - NO!

Listen to the dialog, please, and don't dissect the language. If you read something you do not agree with, state the disagreement. I have found that posters here will be fair. C'mon we are all here because we want to be, to communicate and if possible have fun. We leave confrontation at the login, and I for one would be happy for any advice that may save my life., be it boats or dope or whatever.

No one is judging you, we don't even know you.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Academics vs Real Life

Your question on pot is interesting but in the real Mexican world that I know of, irrelevant. If I were a cop and you had a few joints on you then my question would be, "Where did you buy them?" From what I have read, that would be the crime, buying not carrying, but one goes with the other and it depends on the officer in your face where the line is. I am told that compared to good old NOB officers and laws, there lines in Mexico are very fuzzy, and the best way to avoid fuzzy in not go near them. I have talked my way out of traffic tickets NOB, my perception is that talking your way out of a few joints would be much harder. Tequila works fine - and it is legal!

If one could obtain a study grant with an immunity clause that would allow one to research this on the ground in Mexico, that could be valuable, but that is academic.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I think some of us have been a little too hard on edub. After all, he's probably younger than most of us and just wants to enjoy his new life in Mexico. But I do wonder what #3 is . . .
...as do I.

Oh I agree that posting is generational and not necessarily what we perceive. All cultures have their norms and lingo, we have it here, and what and how Edub posts in the virtual worlds (s)he inhabits may have a radically different lingo...so no judgement there, just a different way of "speaking".

·
Super Moderator
9,063 Posts
...as do I.

Oh I agree that posting is generational and not necessarily what we perceive. All cultures have their norms and lingo, we have it here, and what and how Edub posts in the virtual worlds (s)he inhabits may have a radically different lingo...so no judgement there, just a different way of "speaking".
Unfortunately, we don't know anything about edub except for the words he uses to post here. By the way, I think we can safely assume he is a he. ;) .

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I'll admit to having instant adverse reactions to those who immediately want to bring their wonderful products or ideas for improving Mexico, those with any curiosity about drugs, or anyone who uses the term, 'dude' or 'ya know?' in conversation.
Yes, it is generational and it was ingrained some three generations ago.
So, added to the fact that I've probably answered the same questions and given detailed responses to the same questions some hundreds and hundreds of times, and am originally from the far Northeast with roots in New England, I am very 'direct'; short, to the point and usually not terribly sweet. Nevertheless, if I can't respond to a query, I'll often do a little searching on both English and Spanish websites, in an attempt to send the questioner in the right direction.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Anyway, I think the concept of a wealthy American expat being deported over a gram of weed is pretty funny. More like you get shaken down for $50.
edub- I would keep the mentioning of your wealth on the down low. It can only mean trouble for those that flaunt it, even in words. Remember, even the bad guys use the internet and some are better at it than you.

·
Registered
536 Posts
What kind of boat do you own? Do you have a lot of offshore experience?

Are you familiar with the Great Lakes? Are you aware they sunk the Edmond Fitzgerald? Do you know where Michigan is on a map? What do you know of my experience?

The widest part of the Gulf is about 100 miles. I wouldn't have to cut straight across - I could ride the shoreline the whole way if I wanted to.

And I'm not going anywhere just yet. I'm asking questions so that I have the neccessary info before setting out which is what a responsible Captain does if I'm not mistaken. And I have been to several places in mexico.

Perhaps instead of spending all your time online trying to pick a fight with the new guy you should find a more constructive way to use your time.
Edub: Just a general comment I would like to make after reading all your posts. And this general comment might benefit all new posters.

The fact is that when you first post to this forum you are basically dealing with "faceless" people that you do not know. You too are unknown until you begin posting. At that point all of the "faceless" people that you do not know begin to learn about you through your posts - from your subjects, questions, replies and even the humour, sarcasm or edge manifest in those replies.

Some of the replies you get from those "faceless" expats will not mesh with your knowledge, experience or opinions. You might be tempted to disregard, challenge or minimize the comments or advice based on it not being in line with what you know or "think you know."

But beware! Until you have been on this forum for quite some time you do not know the expertise that is behind some of those "faceless" people.

CEO’s of national companies, geophysicists, financial advisors, world travellers who have lived in numerous countries with different cultures, experienced sailors who have spent years at sea, military men entrusted with nuclear missiles, teachers, professors, lawyers, negotiators, the list goes on and on. And last but not least individuals who have spent years (some decades) living and experiencing all facets of Mexican life.

Your challenge of RVGringo is simply one example. His knowledge of sailing and navigating is based on years of living on and sailing many of the world’s oceans and seas and that is only one of his areas of expertise. Other forum members have equal expertise in other areas.

Bottom line: you never know who is replying to you or what expertise is behind their comment. A wise person will tread softly (and not carry a big stick) until they know the lay of the land.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A deep hulled diesel vessel with steadying sail. Even then, few 'boats' are intended for passages and can be easily overwhelmed. A small ship would be more appropriate, or a blue water sailing vessel. The skipper, and at least one other crew, should be qualified to pilot/navigate out of sight of land and without the aid of electronics. A canopied life raft in a canister with EPRP should be on deck for any such passage.
So you are telling me a 40' Sundancer with modern GPS couldn't make the trek across the Gulf? How big are those waves?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.